Need information on enchanting objects
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Need information on enchanting objects

I've made a really good "open Sesame" ring, which opens doors 50 to 75 points; works like a charm (ugh). But most of the things I've made have inherent problems.

For example, I made an Ebony Longsword of Robbing Health, which was supposed to steal a few health points for 5 seconds when it strikes an opponent. The problem is that I am not offered the choice "cast when strikes" while I am making the sword. The choice I get is "cast when used" which makes the sword useless. All of the swords that do specific things have the label "cast when strikes" on them, not "cast when used". How do I get the enchantment to do what I want it to do - I mean, does it not makes sense that a sword would cast the spell when it hits an opponent, and NOT when you "use" it, which doesn't do anything at all (like certain weapons I have found, like the spear of water breathing - a useless weapon if I ever saw one - does nothing at all - you can't "use" it the way you use a ring). Why am I not offered the correct choice when I am making an enchanted weapon?

ALso, I made a ring of Fortifying Speed. It does nothing at all, although the enchantment was "successful". Why doesn't it work? It was only a modest increase in speed for 20 seconds, and the cost/chance ratio is 8/100. So what gives? Not happy about the wasted soul gem on that one.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 5:25 am
Graaah!

I've run into similar problems when trying to make enchanted weapons. Did you click on the little button in the lower left hand corner of the enchantment window? It can be changed from Cast When Used to Cast When Strikes. Sometimes. You need a weapon and/or soul (I'm not sure if it's either or both) with high attributes to get the option of Cast When Strikes. That type of enchantment can get expensive, too. I've found that weapons made of good materials, like Ebony or Daedric (rare!) allow you to do the most.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 10:01 pm

Rob
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

very odd, i've always been able to pick cast when strikes for weapons... anyway if you cant do that , try getting some training in enchanting,

the female kajiit in balmora's mage's guild can train you a little in enchantment, up to around 50 i think.

and i would reccomend before you go on a enchant frenzy, go to the shrine of azura , and do her quest to get "the star of azura" its a re-useable soulstone, after you get it , get asummon frost astronauch spell at a mage's guild , and a summon ancesteral ghost spell, then go to your house or wherever theres no people around and cast the ghost , use soultrap on it , and make shure only azura's star is in your inv, then kill the ghost , go enchant a sapphire amulet with the summon frost astronauch spell(it gives more charge points than flame astronauch) go back to your house , and soultrap your frosty astro whenever you wanna enchant something , that is , until you get a better summon spell.
Frost astronauch - 128 Soulpoints
Ancestral ghost - 100 soulpoints
Azura's star...priceless.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 6:49 pm
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Thanks for the tips.

I was finally able to make my Ebony Longsword of Stealing Health, and is it ever good! I watch my health go UP in a tough battle. Now if only it were possible to also enchant it with restoring fatigue or magica, it would be a real bonus, but as is it is pretty great.

I guess the problem with my speed amulet is that is is cast on touch rather than cast when used. It was only a scamp soul, and I have lots of those, so I'll make another one.
Post Fri May 31, 2002 2:46 am