Hellgate London: First Look @ Jolt
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Hellgate London: First Look @ Jolt

Jolt has smacked up a <a href="http://www.jolt.co.uk/index.php?articleid=3779" target="_blank">preview</a> of Flagship Studios' debut RPG 'Hellgate London'.<blockquote><em>For any new independent developer looking to get a game published, it’s essential to make that all-important first project sound impressive on paper. That’s exactly the case with Hellgate: London, the first full title to be developed by Flagship Studios. But Flagship had more than just words to back up this unusual new RPG, it had a reputation – the studio was formed by several ex-members of Blizzard North, the California-based developer of Diablo.</em></blockquote>
Post Sun May 01, 2005 1:18 am
Amparo

Misleading

quote:
For any new independent developer looking to get a game published, it痴 essential to make that all-important first project sound impressive on paper.

Umm. David Brevik, Max Schaefer, Erich Schaefer, Bill Roper, and Kenneth Williams could spit in a can and get it published. Calling them "new and independent" and stressing their need to make a good first impression illustrates that this writer knows nothing about their status in the game industry.

So much "journalism" out there is amateurish.
Post Sun May 01, 2005 1:23 am

roqua1

I never heard of any of them. I guess I'm some kind of idiot that doesn't know good cumputer games.
Post Sun May 01, 2005 2:17 am

Amparo

Not an idiot

You are not an idiot because you never heard of them. They created Diablo.
The problem is when journalists publish unresearched, uninformed articles on news websites.

The problem is journalists who have never heard of them working for gaming sites.
Post Sun May 01, 2005 8:09 am

Oh stop it, i am too an idiot. I just really don't care about action games like diablo. But of course I've heard about Diablo, so I know what you're saying.

If I was a publisher and the creators of Diablo came to me with a new game I'm sure no one would have to twist my arm to publish it.
Post Sun May 01, 2005 5:01 pm

tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

/sarcasm on

what is this shooter doing on the RPGdot?

Seriously, I'm afraid this is more a doomIII than a real rpg, but of course I don't know everything (it's just a feeling). At least you can still make your own charackter...
Post Sun May 01, 2005 6:35 pm
r1

If you can create your own character then it has a leg up on Diablo 2 rpg wise.
Post Sun May 01, 2005 9:47 pm

Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Amparo, what misleading do you see in that opening paragraph to the article, or how do you see the person who wrote it as an incompetent journalist, since only a sentence later he very clearly shows he knows who David Brevik, Max Schaefer, Erich Schaefer, Bill Roper, and Kenneth Williams are?
Post Mon May 02, 2005 7:38 am
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes, the first project of a new studio always has to be impressive, even if the developers have made awesome games in the past, most peole will know Hellgate London as a game from Flagship studios, and not the game of the Schaefer brothers and Bill Roper
Post Mon May 02, 2005 9:48 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I don't argue with that. Exactly the same is the current situation with Blizzard - almost all of the people that brought Blizz to the fame it has today, are no longer working there.
Post Mon May 02, 2005 12:32 pm