Usergroups
English mods and addons?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Goldenbeast
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

jackchoas, you really should do you homework before posting. It doesn't matter what language they oringinally code it in(they coded it in english, I can back this up). Dialog is no problem, we won't be remaking gothic. We will be making mods.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:08 pm
jackchaos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

"jackchoas, you really should do you homework before posting. It doesn't matter what language they oringinally code it in(they coded it in english, I can back this up). Dialog is no problem, we won't be remaking gothic. We will be making mods."

I'm talking about the scripts. I want to add to the current game but getting past the german dialog is hard. Example:

=======================
func void DIA_Gomez_Hello_Kontakte()
{
gomez_kontakte = 0;
AI_Output (other, self,"DIA_Gomez_Hello_Kontakte_15_00"); //Ich bin viel in der Kolonie rumgekommen und habe gute Kontakte in allen Lagern.
AI_Output (self, other,"DIA_Gomez_Hello_Kontakte_11_01"); //Das ist tatsächlich ein guter Grund. Zu wem hast du Kontakte?
Info_ClearChoices (DIA_Gomez_Hello);
Info_AddChoice (DIA_Gomez_Hello,"Das waren alle wichtigen." ,DIA_Gomez_Hello_Kontakte_ThatsAll);
Info_AddChoice (DIA_Gomez_Hello,"Zu einigen Hehlern im Neuen Lager." ,DIA_Gomez_Hello_Kontakte_NLHehler);
Info_AddChoice (DIA_Gomez_Hello,"Zu Lares." ,DIA_Gomez_Hello_Kontakte_Lares);
//Info_AddChoice (DIA_Gomez_Hello,"Zu Lee." ,DIA_Gomez_Hello_Kontakte_Lee);
Info_AddChoice (DIA_Gomez_Hello,"Zu einigen Baals aus dem Lager der Bruderschaft." ,DIA_Gomez_Hello_Kontakte_Baals);
Info_AddChoice (DIA_Gomez_Hello,"Zu Cor Kalom." ,DIA_Gomez_Hello_Kontakte_Kalom);

if (gomez_kontakte < 3)
{
Info_AddChoice (DIA_Gomez_Hello,"Zu Y'Berion." ,DIA_Gomez_Hello_Kontakte_YBerion);
};
};
======================

When Xicat translated the voice and text, they had to change these scripts. I WANT THOSE SCRIPTS!

Oh, and quit being offensive by suggesting I "do my homework". This is a Gothic fan forum and everyone should be able to post regarding Gothic without having to dodge your sub-repressive omni-dominating nerd farts.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:10 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Maybe we should start a german (gothic) -> english dictionary

Ich bin viel in der Kolonie rumgekommen und habe gute Kontakte in allen Lagern.
->
i have travelled a lot in the colony and my contacts to all camps are pretty good.

Das ist tatsächlich ein guter Grund. Zu wem hast du Kontakte?
->
This is a good reason indeed, to which persons do you have contacts ?

Das waren alle wichtigen.
->
these were all important ones.

My tip: learn a little bit german by computer playing/programming - i did it the other way around and learned english by playin' english computer games and surfin' in the net ...

...much more fun than school english.

if you concentrate in rpggames ca. 100 words are enough (except Planescape Torment).

Hx
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:43 pm
Goldenbeast
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Jackchoas, I mean no offence. It's just that you don't state what you are talking about all that well.

Sorry for snapping I'm a little on edge becuase the Gothicmod.exe file doesn't just give you dialog after it checks for the cd. it litterally loads the text from protection.msg Prob is I can't find where it calls it.

I just really want to get this fixed up so that we can all use it.

On the text thing, just convert it then rewrite it so it makes sense.

(Note: I AM NOT making fun of other languages, ours just have alot more needless things.)

Just take the translated text and just look for the meaning not what it says. Even if it IS in english, the way that other languages do things are MUCH MUCH different from ours. Try learning Japanese and you will see what I mean.

I think our best bet is to try and find a bi-lingual person to translate it so it sounds right to us because we may get the wrong meaning.

One last thing, does anyone here use disassemblers (Honestly) I need to find one that will track the movement in the program. W32Dsm lacks this despite what it may look like.
Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 6:52 am
wickedkae
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

you guys are the best!! I tried to study prgramin gin collage but i couldnt stand it, so i wont be of much help, but man if you guys could pull something like this off you would all be gods!! You got my backing
Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 7:43 am

3D Artist Up For Grabs Here
We talking single player or multiplayer Mod?
I would be very keen to work on a mp mod with a persistent stats system.
Oh so many questions to ask. I'll keep an eye on your progress and planning
Recon
Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:14 am

Goldenbeast
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well turns out, the reason PiranhaBytes said they would work on it in a sarcastic manner is, that the English gothic.exe is fully capable of loading mods. Yes that's right the ol' gothic.exe. I found the -game tag in the assembly code and decided, "what the hell, I'll give it a shot." I copied it and renamed it gothicmod.exe ran gothiclauncher.exe after I downloaded the german blade mod. I started a new game and waited in anticipation as it loaded.. WOAH! He has a sword and the skin of blade. Turns out my assumptions where correct. I posted this in it's own topic but it kind of turned out like it was a big joke because of a friend of mine. Once you try this though tell me if it works right for all of you as well. Thanks.

Is anyone even trying this?? if you don't believe me fluff i off but I'm going to be the lucky one thats able to play gothic mods. Do you want me to post a screenshot???

[ This Message was edited by: Goldenbeast on 2002-01-13 14:27 ]
Post Sun Jan 13, 2002 6:20 am
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

Yes, please do that and explain how to do that

Post Sun Jan 13, 2002 9:35 pm
Goldenbeast
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well first off go here: http://www.soulofgothic.4players.de:1065/tools.html
1. Download the player kit unzip it into your gothic dir. Move everything in the GothicGOTHIC MOD Player Kitgothic dir and move it into into your main gothic dir. After that is done go into your gothic/system directory, you should see gothicmod.exe, delete it. Now, right-click on gothic.exe copy it. Now paste it right back. There should now be "Copy of Gothic.exe" right-click on it and go to rename. Rename it to gothicmod.exe.

2. Mods:
Well it a catch 22 with the mods. if you download a german mod you get a german gothic.dat file and that leads to german text. If you replace it with an english dat file the mod won't load because the extra scripts aren't there. If you just feel like looking at the german mods then feel free to do so but the text will be in german.

3. Go to your gothic/system directory double click on GothicStarter.exe and click on the WWIIMOD and then run it. Start up a new game and you should see the Blade modification!

Well, that is exactly how you do it. I imagine once some of the german text gets transfered over we will make our own unofficial English player and mod kits. As for the screenshots:

Just so you know this is the english version.
http://www.xtremeglobe.com/egoboo/images/Shot1.gif

And a pic showing off the mod
http://www.xtremeglobe.com/egoboo/images/Shot2.gif

I need any and all feed back on this. I get german text etc. lol. Turns out the german text is caused by the script file that is in the blade mod. BUT the main problem is that the original author has the script files for the katana. without the script file in my english version it won't run the mod.

I think I'll just make my own small mod so that all of you can have a look at it.

[ This Message was edited by: Goldenbeast on 2002-01-14 00:22 ]
Post Sun Jan 13, 2002 10:49 pm
Goldenbeast
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What does everyone think about a rough conversion of the documentation until I can take all of it and make it make more sense?
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 5:41 am
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

THATS supposed to be blade?

It looks more like Little Richard!
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 8:44 pm
Goldenbeast
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I thought he looked alot like a goth Sammy Davis Jr.
Post Tue Jan 15, 2002 1:09 am
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

Then I was thinking Danny Glover before the receding hair line.
Post Tue Jan 15, 2002 3:23 am

To replace textures or sound-effects, you don't need the complete mod-kit.
Textures and sound-files can be replaced by placing an own vdf file containing modified data of the same name in the directory where the orig. vdf-files are located.
(This is the way the bikini-texture in the us-release was added)

Here's the link to one of the best tools for extracting data and packing own vdf files.
http://www.soulofgothic.4players.de:1065/downloads/Tools/VDFS.zip

There are other tools, for example a texture converter:
http://www.soulofgothic.4players.de:1065/toolsbilder/goman1_2.JPG

you can easily modify every texture and sound in the game, by only adding a new vdf-file containing your new data!

To modify the game-scripts, you need the uncompiled source-scripts (only avail. in german language at the moment).
And for editing levels, you need the Gothic-tool "SPACER" if you want to add/remove objects or change the lighting.
To build completely new levels or characters 3DS MAX is needed.
Modding seems to be very complicated. Nothing very complex has been released until now in the german modding community...

But giving the hero a new face or recoloring the monsters should be quite easy with the tools mentioned above.
Post Tue Jan 15, 2002 1:51 pm

Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I downloaded GoMan, but when I installed it, I didn't find any exe files to run it. I don't know any german, so I can't really read the documentation. When I ran a little bit of it through a translator, it seems you need MS Visual C++ 6 to use it? Is that right? Is GoMan the only program to view and convert the texture files?
Post Thu Jan 17, 2002 5:52 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next