Members
Usergroups
Need more polygons!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Gwibble

Need more polygons!

Hopefully somebody can help refresh my ailing memory...

The last time I played Gothic, I used some command (I forget what, that's what I need help with!) to get the game to draw more polygons on the screen. More specifically, it kept the game from culling out distant shapes (for example, the four spires on top of the castle in the Old Camp; also, NPCs, firepits, etc.).

This is NOT the "sightValue=xx" setting in Gothic.ini (which is already set to 14/300%) or even the SET CLIPPINGFACTOR X console command, both of which have more to do with changing the distance of the fog. This is something entirely different. Unfortunately, I can't remember what it is, or even if it is a GOTHIC.INI setting, command-line parameter or a console command.

I originally learned of this command from a post on this very board (well, one of the three Gothic forums on rpgdot.com, anyway) but of course I can't find it now. I also don't see any reference to it in the FAQ. But hopefully somebody here will remember. It greatly improves the feeling of being in a "real world"; without it I find that Gothic culls "non-essential" (e.g., everything but walls and terrain) shapes far too closely for me to feel immersed.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 6:11 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

zhighqualityrender
Post Sun May 12, 2002 7:20 pm
Gwibble

Need more polygons!

zhighqualityrender

That's a neat console command and ALMOST what I want... but the one I had in mind not only rendered more terrain but also extraneous stuff that Gothic usually culls after a certain distance, such as NPCs.

For instance, without this command (damn it, why can't I remember?) I'd have to start walking down the stairs of the Sleeper's temple-room before I saw him squatting malefically on his altar; with the command, I'd be able to see him from outside the pillars.

Similarly, if I were to stand on the walls of the castle of Old Camp without this command, I'd see most of the camp, but it would look empty; the game wouldn't draw in the NPCs because they were too distant. However, with this setting changed, I'd see all the diggers and guards going about their daily lives.

Of course, this causes a hit to the framerate, but I'm much less sensitive to that stuff than most people.

Maybe if I bang my head on the table a few times I'll remember...

... or maybe that's how I forgot in the first place :-)
Post Sun May 12, 2002 10:21 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

zLevelLODStrength
in the gothic.ini
Not sure, but I guess it has to be set to 0.

You can see the difference if you stand on the bridge near the abandoned mine and look at the towers of the OC.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 10:32 pm
Gwibble

Need More Polygons

zLevelLODStrength=0

Yeah, that looks like it's the one. I fiddled with that setting myself, but I made the number bigger, not smaller, and didn't get the effect I wanted. But I vaguely remember the setting being rather counter-intuitive in that way. Anyway, with zLevelLODStrength=0 and zhighqualityrender (not to mention sightValue=14 and set clippingfactor 4) I finally got the graphics the way I want 'em. 'Course, my framerate went down a notch, but this is an RPG, not Quake3. Then again, I used to play Quake on a 486/33, so obviously my sense of what's acceptable framerate-wise is probably a bit warped.

Hmmm... still double-digit FPS; maybe I need to turn on FSAA.

Anyway, thanks for the assist... and shouldn't all this stuff go into the FAQ (I mean, it'd make it much easier for me the NEXT time I re-install Gothic and realize I've forgotten everything again!
Post Mon May 13, 2002 3:11 am

[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

'zSet VobFarClipZScaler X'

'zHighQualityRender' sets it to 30 (if I remember right), if you set it to 50 or higher (and fog zone disabled 'zFogZone 0') you will see the objects in the Old Camp from the mountains =)

- nico

ps: extreme values should only be used for screen shots.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 6:37 am