Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Is my game defective, or is my computer screwed up?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Does your Morrowind work super smoothly on high textures and everything to the max?
Yes
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
No
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 7

Author Thread
Beatcow
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Is my game defective, or is my computer screwed up?

I just bought Morrowind last night, and so far, no luck with the game. I mean it works! The only thing is (dont laugh) my computer is a 128 ram and a 550 mhz. Pretty crappy...Well anyways, I want to adjust the speed by turning off shadows, making things near, etc....

Problemo numero uno: When I click the video tab in the options menu, my game returns to the desktop. Also, when I start my game, on the laucher, if I press options, it doesnt even show a menu...It returns to the desktop.
Is this a defect, bug, or my computer problem.

Question: Is there any way that I can make the game go smooth for my computer. I dont care if the graphics look a bit like daggerfall...Just let it run smoothly. DOnt even get me started on my video card;Pure Crap. I hope there is someway, or even a way to make it atleast be fun to play and not choppy like hell.

i hope someone can help.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:36 am
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Without the obvious "buy better hardware"-reply, there are an alternative morrowind.exe that removes the safe-disc check. It doesn´t encourage pirating, as you still need the cd to play. Many, including myself. report framerate boosts. There are also "morrowind fps optimizer" I think it´s called, that also boosts performance. Just search the forums.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:50 am
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

Yeah. Your hardware is borderline minimum; mine is too . Just out of curiosity; what video card do you have?

EDITED Oh, I read what you said about the video card. Hmm. There is not much you can do in the morrowind options except turn all details to minimum, but it will still require a good card and descent system to run it. You may look into doing more tweaking on your video cards settings to gain a few more fps. This game has some high requirements eh Don't feel bad; a lot of people with good systems have problems as well.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:51 am
Beatcow
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You never anwsered my question

You never anwsered my question...Is the crashing in the Video Tab(read my problem above) And on the Laucher a defect and I should bring the game back?
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:44 am
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Your computer will never run this game smoothly. The crashing is your comp. So is the options menu.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:34 am
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

I am thinking it would be a video problem or maybe just something else hardware/OS related.

Since you won't even state the type of video card, is it even supported? If so, did you update your drivers to the most recent?

Also notice the RAM requirements based on OS. These are minimums. If you are running XP with 128MB, that could be it.

You could try defragging your harddrive and reinstalling. I have heard some recommend that to solve problems.

There are a lot of post dealing with performance/tweaking to get better frame rates. Try searching. Maybe some tweaking can get you playing. ( NOTE: It will never play smooth, maybe just be barely playable)

If nothing works, try returning it. If they won't give you cash back, exchange it for a shrink-wrapped copy, and then sell it.

Just posted for a reference after editing out some stuff.
code:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
Windows ME/98 128 MB RAM; Windows XP/2000 256 MB RAM; 32MB Direct3D Compatible video card and DirectX 8.1 compatible driver; DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card;

SUPPORTED VIDEO CARD CHIPSETS*:
NVIDIA GeForce4; NVIDIA GeForce3; NVIDIA GeForce2; NVIDIA GeForce 256; NVIDIA TNT2; ATI Radeon 8500; ATI Radeon 7500; ATI Radeon 7200; ATI Radeon; ATI Rage 128; Matrox G550; Matrox G450; Matrox G400

Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 4:19 am
TiredBeatcow

My video card

Well i think I have a Rage Pro Turbo. Is that possible. Seriously, I dont know anything about computer hardware. Damn, how can my computer be causing the menu problem? I mean all I want to do is turn off most of the things that lag but the game crashes. Are you sure thats not a defect?I mean I have the requirements with 98, and it works the game but not the video options.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:44 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Your video card is not supported and faraway from minimum requirements.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:56 pm
CharlieGuest

Erk...

Yep, sorry, as the man says, your system DOESN'T meet minimum requirements, as your video card is not capable enough. You'll need to get a new card, but I don't know whether anyone can advise you there - from the look of your system it would probably be foolish to go for a top-of-the-range GeForce 4 Ti or something, as the rest of your hardware wouldn't be able to properly take advantage of it. GeForce2 MX maybe? Maybe a low end GeForce3? Don't know - anyone got any suggestions?
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:27 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I do not think it is a good idea to upgrade this PC at all. Just wait and buy new.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:35 pm
TiredBeatcow

NO!!!!!!!!Well....last hopes are.

So if my Dad does buy a Pentium 4, do I still have to buy a card? Shouldnt it come with one. Oh, why does my game work then if i have rage pro. And how much is GeForce 2?
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:39 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

When graphic card is not supported, it deosnt mean that game will not run. If you are lucky, then it will run without problem, but usually it doesnt run at all or it run with problems.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:56 pm
FireAnt
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

i hve a geforce 4 and oi still don't crank graphics my fps suffers too much
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 4:48 pm
TiredBeatcow

Code

is there a way to turn off shadows, make pixels lower, etc... in the morrowind.ini? I hope so.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:39 pm

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

If you buy a new pc you indeed get a new Videocard with it. If you dont want (or cant afford) to buy a new pc, then try either the Geforce2MX (around 90$ in Holland, much cheaper in the US) or the TNT2 (much weaker, but will be good enough for your low pc, I use this card myself, 40$)
Also get aat least 128mb extra, will cost you 15$
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:52 pm