Mercenary character Help
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Kolten
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Mercenary character Help

I started the game as a mercenary, when I started chapter 2 I was getting beat by every one of those raptors (snappers I think they are called) which I needed to kill for the knight near the old Xardas tower, i was also having troubles fighting wolves and other animals (1 left me with almost 15% HP everytime). I read in other posts that mercenaries are weaker than paladins, but I dont think this much, i must be doing something wrong and played gothic 1, so I have a little experience(or so i thought ).

I think I was too weak, couldn’t beat them melee and didn’t have any bow skills to kill them from far. I think the problem was I didn’t get good skills at chapter one, I had a lot of strength but 10 on Dex,.

So now I’m starting again, I’m planning to go mercenary again
At the moment I’m not in any guild, Level 4 Str 20 Dex 10, and I have 20 free level points

So im asking for a little advice on how to start and where to put those skills, my goal is to become a mercenary who is good with one handed swords and bows

thx for the help
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:40 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

Normally you should be able to kill the snappers one by one as a merc at chapter 2. Wich level are you? try to level a bit. Well you're making yourself more difficult then cause you need 3 skills: strength one handed weapon and bowskills
I am a merc too. I only go as a melee char. Lot's of stength and good one handed figther. Used My bow only ince when i was luring a elite orc away from the shaman
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:50 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

@Kolten-Welcome to the forums! Anyway, it sounds like you need some good old-fashioned leveling up and training. Also, make sure you have the best armor currently available to you (ask Lee about it). I would recommend being at least level 10 before entering the Valley of Mines.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:13 am
Kolten
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hey thanks for the reply

Hmm what level was I in chapter 2?; I really don’t remember maybe Level 7
I saved over that game cause I was frustrated

You say I shouldn’t get bow skills, what about dexterity?
I’ll stay in the new world leveling up a bit and doing all the quest (with the other game, I rushed and left about 10 or so quest undone)

Btw im not supposed to fight any orcs yet right, I just run from them

Another funny thing, I was exploring the valley and I went to see if I could find good old Ur Shak in the ruins, and all I find is some weird painted lizard man, well I wasn’t welcomed there
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:02 am
zuman
Village Leader
Village Leader

Re: Mercenary character Help

quote:
Originally posted by Kolten
I started the game as a mercenary, when I started chapter 2 I was getting beat by every one of those raptors (snappers I think they are called) which I needed to kill for the knight near the old Xardas tower, i was also having troubles fighting wolves and other animals (1 left me with almost 15% HP everytime). I read in other posts that mercenaries are weaker than paladins, but I dont think this much, i must be doing something wrong and played gothic 1, so I have a little experience(or so i thought ).

I think I was too weak, couldn’t beat them melee and didn’t have any bow skills to kill them from far. I think the problem was I didn’t get good skills at chapter one, I had a lot of strength but 10 on Dex,.

So now I’m starting again, I’m planning to go mercenary again
At the moment I’m not in any guild, Level 4 Str 20 Dex 10, and I have 20 free level points

So im asking for a little advice on how to start and where to put those skills, my goal is to become a mercenary who is good with one handed swords and bows

thx for the help
I am now lev 14 My advise is to divide your points which are remaning [20] 15 stra. 5 one hand weapon.I do only melee and found this works best max stra. and one hand. some dex.there is more stragety in this game than other rpg's such as dungeon seige so you have to allocate your points very carefully
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:12 am
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

You can easily make level 10 before you leave for the valley of mines. When you get there free Gorn, he will have medium armor for you. You can lure the snappers one by one. Much easier that way. You need really good armor before you can take them on more than one at a time. Also, some of those snappers spawn after you talk to Fajeth. Try killing the ones already there before talking to him. It can be done. Believe me. I went in as lvl 4 and survived. Got lucky maybe. Died a lot. Remember to save before and after every encounter.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:00 am