View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Seshiru
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic I Control Scheme in Gothic II

Hi,

I just recently began playing Gothic II, and I'm actually liking it as much as the first. However, I have noticed one major flaw in the game: the controls. I feel that Gothic II's control scheme is very much dumbed down (though maybe not enough so for some people; I've heard complaints regarding the lack of a mouse cursor ), and isn't nearly as intuitive as that of the first Gothic. Put simply, I just cannot get used to Gothic II's controls, no matter how hard I try. They're just, well, awful.

Anyway, my question is, if I haven't made it obvious enough already, is there any way to change the controls to reflect those of Gothic I? Can I set them through the Controls menu? Can I edit them by changing entries in Gothic.ini? I'm up for anything.

I really appreciate any help.
Thanks
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:34 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Have you then even looked into options menu? There's quite section about the controls, and possible choices are "Gothic 1 controls" and "Gothic 2 controls".

Other then that, I personally find that Gothic 2 controls are way above Gothic 1 controls. All the actions can be done with less effort, which is and should be the goal of every game. All games strive to give full functionality with easy-to-use interface and controls, and while I personally had no problems with G1 controls, they sure as heck aren't "easy-to-use" and "user friendly" and so on. If you read the reviews from the past about the game, there never was really said anything bad about the game, but controls got literally always quite bad comments. Do a search on the Net and check, can literally bet that in each article you'll read, controls are getting bashed at.

So, all in all, G2 controls were a step into the right direction and only improved the game. Of course, the unfortunate thing was that PB and JoWood left the G1 controls as default one, after installing G2, and as the experience shows, people talk and ask about things without even checking out the options, and thus G2, in quite few reviews, got also bad points. Want to know in which area? G1 controls area. Everything else was pointed out as perfect, good and very nice, but controls got beating. Too bad the reviewers didn't bother to check out the options first and try out G2 controls. And, of course, too bad PB and JoWood left that out of date control mode as a default mode.
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:05 am
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

well i've heard complaints about Gothic I's controles as well as G2's but i say its just a matter of getting use to it ..

only thing bothering me is the gap between G1 and 2's controles .. its small but its engouth for that i near when crazy first time i played G2 ..
hope they deside to keep atleast one of them for G3 .. cuz getting use to another set ? ARGH!!
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. the rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:19 am
Seshiru
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor
Have you then even looked into options menu? There's quite section about the controls, and possible choices are "Gothic 1 controls" and "Gothic 2 controls".

Other then that, I personally find that Gothic 2 controls are way above Gothic 1 controls. All the actions can be done with less effort, which is and should be the goal of every game. All games strive to give full functionality with easy-to-use interface and controls, and while I personally had no problems with G1 controls, they sure as heck aren't "easy-to-use" and "user friendly" and so on. If you read the reviews from the past about the game, there never was really said anything bad about the game, but controls got literally always quite bad comments. Do a search on the Net and check, can literally bet that in each article you'll read, controls are getting bashed at.

So, all in all, G2 controls were a step into the right direction and only improved the game. Of course, the unfortunate thing was that PB and JoWood left the G1 controls as default one, after installing G2, and as the experience shows, people talk and ask about things without even checking out the options, and thus G2, in quite few reviews, got also bad points. Want to know in which area? G1 controls area. Everything else was pointed out as perfect, good and very nice, but controls got beating. Too bad the reviewers didn't bother to check out the options first and try out G2 controls. And, of course, too bad PB and JoWood left that out of date control mode as a default mode.

Forgive me for being so blunt, but I really hope I don't give the impression that I actually care what other people think about the game's controls. If I did, I would have asked.

Anyway, I did, in fact, look thoroughly through the game's menus. Much to my dismay, however, the only option regarding Gothic I's controls was the option to use Gothic I's combat controls, which, by the way, aren't even accurately represented.

I suppose I should have specified my main concern in my first post. I apologize for my failure to do so; I'll go ahead and outline my question now:

In Gothic II, is there any way possible to utilize the control scheme of Gothic I? Sure, combat is pretty much the same, but I want to have to hit Ctrl + W to use an item. I want to have to press Ctrl + D to move items from a chest into my inventory. I want Ctrl + W to both equip and unequip a weapon, and for Ctrl + S to drop that weapon. Pressing the Ctrl key in front of a chest should simply make the character crouch in front of it, followed by the W key to open it. Same goes for grilling meat. All in all, the fact that the Ctrl key alone does everything simply irritates me.

As for combat, well, that's another story. Having the option to turn Gothic I's combat controls on only changes one thing in combat: the fact that you have to hit Ctrl + W to swing forward, instead of just Ctrl. You still can only swing either forward or side to side, not forward and then right and so on. A forward swing followed by a right swing, which was a perfectly acceptable move in the first Gothic, only results in the character swinging forward and then Strafing right.

So far, I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. So, again, is there any way to replicate Gothic I's controls in Gothic II?

Thank you for your patience.
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:05 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"I really hope I don't give the impression that I actually care what other people think about the game's controls"

So basiclly, you give your oppinion and ask for help, then do not expect someone to give thiers then blantly proclaim not to care what anyone thinks, when they replied and offered you help equal to your question.

No
Fact: That is an antquated key system, for about 10 years now, Gothic was the last game to hang on to it.
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:03 am
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

kid ? you got note pad ? then try opening a few files and messing around whit them .. if anything looks usefull then go whit it .. .thats about all the help im willing to offer to a smart mouth like you
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:53 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Right. I guess I'll then care about your opinions just as little as you care about the opinions of other people.

But hey, go ahead. I fail to see the reason to make things more difficult for yourself. If you really want to press two TIMES more keys just to do one operation, like open the chest, move items from the chest, fry some meat or whatever, then go ahead. Play with the options, maybe you manage somehow to setup the system in such a way, that it will require twice as much actions just to perform some operation. Who's trying to stop you.

I personally found it to be quite a good achievement, that I can now do most of the things with a simple click. If I want to open the chest, I just click now and it's open. I don't want to do all the extra pointless work like crouch, spit on ground, look at the chest with right eye, close the left eye, put right hand in pocket and open the chest with the left hand. Why click the keys for 10 minutes in a row just to perform one operation, when you can just click it and be over with? It doesn't take any immersion away from the game anyway, for me at least.

Thus, sorry, but can't help ya there. Maybe you will be able to setup something like this through the options and ini file editing, who knows. Wish all the best and luck in that to you. Personally, at the same time, I greet the way the controls went with G2 more, it was a step into the right direction, to remove unnecessary additional actions and save time. Leaves more time to actually explore the world and adventure in it.
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:11 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well i kinda liked the Gothic 1 controls also and indeed i had some problems getting used to the controls again in Gothic 2 but after 1-2 hours i got used to them and now i can play with 2 kind of controls the game will be still the same story same , graphics same , everything same only you need to get used to your new buttons on the keyboard
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:15 pm
Seshiru
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Acleacius
"I really hope I don't give the impression that I actually care what other people think about the game's controls"

So basiclly, you give your oppinion and ask for help, then do not expect someone to give thiers then blantly proclaim not to care what anyone thinks, when they replied and offered you help equal to your question.

No
Fact: That is an antquated key system, for about 10 years now, Gothic was the last game to hang on to it.

First of all, I do apologize for being so rude in my post. I was just frustrated by the fact that the only person who seemed really willing to help wasn't really helping

Whailor, don't think I'm at all unappreciative of your help. That goes for everyone else who has posted in this thread as well. Obviously, nobody is obligated to help me, and those who have have done so by choice alone. I'm grateful to those who have tried to help, and appreciate everyone's effort. Again, I sincerely apologize for being so rude in my previous post.

Anyway, I suppose there's really no hope in solving this problem. The only option, it seems, would be to edit the Keys section of Gothic.ini, which doesn't seem feasible. Just take a look at it. Oh well, I'll just have to get used to Gothic II's controls, no matter how much I disagree with them.

Thanks
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:15 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

No appoligy necessary
While Gothic games are brilliant in scope and design, there are many hair pulling aspects to the games

There may be a posibility of a mod now that an editor has been released, dont get you hopes up to much.
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:22 pm
a24710
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

i liked the gothicīs controls more than the sequel

i prefer using ctrl an up for making actions, and i really like ignoring the mouse (i finished gothic 1 just using the keyboard)

everyday the game controls are more and more directed to the casual gamer, and thatīs the case of gothic
Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:46 pm
Bytespawn
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

everyone uses a mouse to play Gothic 2... Now wonder they coplain about the controls, mine go as following...
R-ctrl for picking up something, or locking on an enemie
R-ctrl+up for opening a chest, using a lever, furnace, and slashing forward
the arrow keys for moving, not strafing, although i sometimes use the zsqd combination to move, so I can strafe with a and e, like for trolls...
R-alt to draw weapon
R-shift to jump
v for characteristics
b for quests
Tab for inventory
m for map
Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:47 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

what ??
i've never used the mouse in G1 or 2 ..
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:47 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

But you don't need it.
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:25 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well i use mouse in all gothic series so the camera look is more better tjat way i can actually inspect everything then sky , grass or something else
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:26 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next