Fallout: BoS (PS2) - Review @ Gaming Nexus
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Fallout: BoS (PS2) - Review @ Gaming Nexus

Gaming Nexus has <a href="http://www.gamingnexus.com/Review.asp?ID=446" target="_blank">reviewed</a> Interplay's 'Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel' for Playstation 2. Rating: 8.0/10.<blockquote><em>You’ve really got to hand it to Interplay, going crazy enough to run the risk of losing the entire Fallout fan base with a new Fallout universe game. Of course I had some reservations myself before jumping into this game but after a full play through and seeing the amount of effort that went into this game I’m happy to report that this game isn’t the nuclear waste I was thinking it would be. Fallout Brotherhood of Steel makes good use of the Baldur’s Gate style of gameplay and adds it’s own rich sense of humor that doesn’t stop entertaining for a minute. Of course I’m sure some Fallout purists may still shy away from this game, but seriously give it a shot. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.</em></blockquote>
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:16 am
deiland
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I agree, this game is not as bad as the reviews say. I almost didn't get it, because of the bad reviews. Liking Baldurs gate series, I gave this game a try and it is a good game. THey could have cut out the cuss words though.

Yes its a hack & slash scifi rpg. You build up skills and kill mutated creatures in a post nuclear world. What more could you ask for
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:21 am

I'm sorry to admit that I too gave this one a try (too much expendable cash). Irregardless of the trashing of the original fallout game and world, this is nonetheless ultimately a bad game. Gave it an honest try, and initially found myself enjoying it in a guilty fashion. However, as game progressed became more and more clear what a hack job this is. Even more apparent when compared with similar gameplay concept of BG:DA II.

Characters are essentially the same, skills are pretty pointless anyway as you can basically bash your way through game with one good melee weapon and constant stimpacks. No reason to replay. Basically nothing more than standing in place and hitting attack button with occasional stimpack button. Ranged is basically same as melee as screen is so small and everything is right on top of you. All this just becomes more apparent as the game progresses.

While I prefer PC games and in-depth rpgs, I do enjoy and play (perhaps somewhat guiltily) console rpgs and hybrids. I enjoy many and give all a fair shot. However, I dont see how anyone can view this as anything other than a very mediocre game. This sad reality is made much more painful by the fact that what is good about (story/game universe) is stolen from a much better game. If this is what fallout has become and all were gonna get out of in the future. I'm getting off here.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:47 pm