How to use a bow - and survive?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Emmhim
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How to use a bow - and survive?

I have only played Gothic for a few days, and I hope somebody can help me with a problem concerning bows.

I have gotten me a bow and found out how to use it. Only one problem - mobs do not die fast enough. or to be more exact - I die before they do.
Whenever I try to kill something with a bow, I hit it, it loose some health and charges me. Before I manage to kill it, it has killed me.

What can I do to survive?
I have tried the old shoot-run-shoot-etc. tactic, but it takes so long time to stop and shoot that the mob catches up with me and tears me apart. Is there a way to run faster or stop&shoot faster?
I have been looking for places where I could shoot, but the mob could not reach me, but failed to find such places.

The bow I am using is one I bought from Wolf in the New Camp. I do not remember the stats, but is it because the bow is too weak?

I have trained level 1 on bow and have a dex of 15. Is is simply because I am too weak with a bow?

Or is it because I have attacked too tough mobs? I am lvl 6 and have tried the Dam Lurker in NC, Shrike (or what his name is - a guy I should throw out of a hut in NC) and a wolf.

Greetings Emmhim

PS. I have tried the Search function - found hints on how to use a sword but not on ranged attacks.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:49 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

You probably bought a short bow with 20 dmg. Killing a lurker with a bow on the 6lv with such a low dex and 20dmg is almost impossible, Shrike is a tough enemy too if you try to kill him with range weapons.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:01 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Korzen
You probably bought a short bow with 20 dmg. Killing a lurker with a bow on the 6lv with such a low dex and 20dmg is almost impossible,

No, actually is not possible at all.. You'll notice your very first blow actually does something, it's because the animal is not at guard.. When it starts comming blows will make considerably less damage(or no damage if you're weak).
Luker is easy to kill with a fireball(purchase a scroll or two and fire them one after another briefly, then run )
Don't mess with Shrike or Lefty, yet..
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:17 pm
LaBaN
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Just gain a few levels in the mastering of bows over at Cavalorn.
When you're shooting lizards, crawl up on a rock and shoot them from there. They will just stop at the foot of the rock and you'll be able shoot them in a range of 1 meter or so .
Beware though, sometimes they're lucky to ascend the rock and bite you nasty!
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:08 pm
LaBaN
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

oh yeah.. if you want a good bow at a low level, just earn some money buy forging a good load of swords.
You'll be a powerfull archer at level 2 or 3 if you do that!
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:13 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

If you want to be good with bow, concentrate on dexterity. You can find a good bow for free in one of the cave nooks in the old mine. There are some good things for FREE.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:21 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

like the blood blade? my advice 2 u would b 2 fire as many arrows as possible, then draw ur sword just b4 it reaches u, i used that on mordrag, the orc warrior in the orc cemetary and snappers

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:12 pm