Members
Usergroups
mages
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Genocide

mages

is there fun gameplay being a mage. Or is it just summoning guys to fight for you. Id like to be a mage, but i dont seem to enjoy prancing around shooting fire out of my hand.
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:44 pm

theohall
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmm...

Mages summon things, cast spells to kill things (ie fire from the hands, sparks from the hands, etc.), heal themselves, turn themselves invisible, make potions and enchant things.

If you don't like those things, playing a mage would be pointless.
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:24 am
Fireteddy
City Guard
City Guard

It's AMAZING fun. You're so incredibly powerful it's almost disgusting sometimes. Make sure you major in Destruction and Alteration, be a Breton or even better a High Elf, and be born under the Apprentice or even better the Atronach.

A High Elf Atronach with destruction major, a magic specialization, and intelligence as a favored stat will start out with 250+ magicka and will be able to cast a destructive spell able to kill any enemy in the game as soon as he hits the first spellmaker.

Plus, enchanting stuff yourself is just cool.

But be a pure mage, not one of the hybrids :| the hybrids blow :|

-Matt
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:29 am
Gally
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The problem for the destruction mage, is that many of the high-level monsters have spell-reflection abilities. You can make uber-powerful spells but you should be ready for backfire.
But, that is also the fun part of the pure mages. It makes the battle interesting enough and keeps me from getting bored.

And... you can make a successful summoner, too. With high enough conjuration and large pool of magicka, you can summon a legion of daedra at your command.
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 7:46 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Mages are great and the only time I use summon, is to re-charge my magic. I mainly use Destruction and Enchant (for enchanted items that save your own magic for battles). I have developed some longsword skill to deal with things like rats, but mage power rocks.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:22 am
Beatcow
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Harry Potter

This might sound corny, but I like the whole Harry Potter magic system. How you learn magic by going up grades. Is being a mage like that? The higher you evolve, the more spells you can learn?
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:34 am
Chucksterkoppen
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Mages aren't the most powerful in the game. If you make yourself a highelf your only going to make yourself very weak to magic later on and later on around dagoth ur use plenty of it. I started off as a breton mage and now im lvl 68. All my attributes are maxed out at 100 plus some bonuses from enchantments and most of my skills are at 100 also. Being powerful later in the game requires no magic. Magic spells don't even compare to the damage I do with a weapon and I don't have to worry about running out of many with that. Only spells I use are for support like unlocking a 100 door. I have a constant levitation ring but in actualality, spells won't be to useful in the end, except maybe for enchantments.

My advice, be a breton mage or a redguard mage or warrior. Where you place your skills at don't even matter now with the new patch, you get the bonus now for untrained skills. Starting off as a mage but don't be a highelf because your weak against magika and don't have the attronach sign. Stunted magika sucks and the benefits of having a 150 magika bonus in the end isn't worth it. If anything, go with the sign of the mage which will get you 50 or the warrior which gives your a constant chance of hitting. Don't go for the signs with the spells.

After leveling 25 or something monsters like golden saints are very common and you can just kills them for very good money and sell it to the mudcrab Soutwest of Mzahnch or to creeper in Balmora. Then train those skills for faster leveling. You'll find out later on magika is only good for support making destruction useless.

Be a b
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:48 am