Directx 8.1
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
aaback
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Directx 8.1

After installing direcx8.1 Gothic crashes in the beginning (Bubble-screen)
What can I do? Please not: reinstalling directx8.0.
8.1 is needed for newer games.There should be a patch for Gothic.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:55 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

There is a patch for Gothic. Not sure if it fixes this problem but it´s worth a try.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:58 am
aaback
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Also: Ich habe den Patch 1.08k (für Die Bedrohung) drauf. Doch nach der Installation von directx8.1 tut sich nichts mehr.

There should be a patch to solve the directx8.1 problem. The programmers should have known that after directx 8 will come a directx8.1 and later directx9 and so on.
Other games dont have this problem.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:25 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You could disable the intros in the gothic.ini.

You shouldn´t generalize your problems with Gothic & DX8.1. I doubt you can say if a relevant number of people have such problems. Gothic works perfectly for me with DirectX8.1.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:37 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

Start DxDiag, and have a look if the cube can be rendered with DirectX 7 hardware acceleration (display x / Direct3D test).
Please mail me the DxDiag.txt (compressed please).

- nico

ps: we are willing to help, but every system is unique and other games are other games. most of this problems arises from the graphic driver because directx is (mostly) an interface to the device... so the directx version is less important, it could be eleven.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:58 pm
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

Gothic has to work with directx8.1. I played it just good with directx8.1

Gothic II Credits
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:07 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

But he/she has a problem since installing DirectX 8.1, so it's a fact and not a discussion.

- nico

ps: Gorath already mentioned that DX8.1 in general is fine with Gothic.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:17 pm
aaback
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you for all advices.

I have this problem since I installed directx8.1 and the new nvidia-geforce driver point28orsomething.

My point of view:
You spend money for a game, you have a new 2 Ghz-computer, you have 10 years expierience with computers, you have the newest drivers, all other games are running properly: so what???
Gothic is good but after 10 years I havent longer got the nerve to solve such problems. Nowadays a game has to run- otherwise...
I swept gothic from my harddisk although i played only a forth of it. A pity!
But I'm glad that I only payed 7 f*ing Euros for it at my local "Penny"-supermarket. Obviously it is not worth more.
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:21 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

> Thank you for all advices.

You are welcome.

> I have this problem since I installed directx8.1 and the new nvidia-geforce driver point28orsomething.

I'd never seen an 'nvidia-geforce driver point28orsomething'.
In fact I had the same problem after installing the Detonator XP 29.42 (latest version, I wouldn't call that stable for obvious reason)
I spent two days to get DirectX 8.1 back to life because I couldn't start _any_ DX7 based game -- not even the simple cube in DxDiag (btw, Gothic uses DX7).
Installing an older Detonator doesn't help, so I end up with uninstalling/reinstalling DirectX 8.1 the hard way and choosing Detonator 12.41 (yes, very old -- but stable)

> My point of view: ...

With ten years of expirence with computers and humans you should know that you'll not receive any help if you not answer to questions and telling stories already told.
So my point of view: You are frustrated. Give the game a chance or give it back.

- nico

ps: give me your address I will send you the 7 euro back if that helps to calm down.

Last edited by [PB]Nico on Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:15 pm
Mythos

I have a problem with the game also...

bah.. just got the game cause it looked good. I'm a computer technician and i build my own darn computers.. i have the latest drivers and although not a best bet i have windows me on this one and a gforce4, 512 ddr ram, 1.6 athlon.... Still the darn game just crashes in the beginning. I've not even been able to play it.. is right after the darn piranha emblem intro...

Why don't you guys have a patch for this?
This problem should be fixed.
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 3:26 am

[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

Re: I have a problem with the game also...

> bah...

You are welcome.

> i have the latest drivers

No comment. see above.

> i have windows me on this one and a gforce4, 512 ddr ram, 1.6 athlon.... Still the darn game just crashes in the beginning.

Yes there are known problems on WinME. But a little more information would be helpfully. Like you know there are endless kinds of crashes. Maybe you have an error mesage in the clipboard after the crash (if so, mail it to me)

> I've not even been able to play it.. is right after the darn piranha emblem intro...

Try to disable the start video in the [GOTHIC]/System/Gothic.INI
by setting [GAME]playLogoVideos=0.
Secondly you can disable music and sound system completely, because many problems are caused by the soundcard (driver), by setting [SOUND]musicEnabled=0 and [SOUND]soundEnabled=0 (just to be sure that the sound is not the real problem).

> Why don't you guys have a patch for this?

Because this is real life. And this time you are the one having problems.
If the problem would be known and reproducible -- it would be fixed.

> This problem should be fixed.

Agree totally.

- nico
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:11 am