Usergroups
Are you followed during the game?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread

omg

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Creepy, I thought those sound are my own.

IT IS SCARY!!! DAMN I SHITED MY PANTS....well back to the game just restarting morrowind to flush the ram.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 7:07 am

sphinxlet

Yeah, that whole plot element is pretty creepy. At this stage of the game I notice that the NPCs have been saying such things more frequently. "Someone's watching you, I can tell," says the guy with the gravelly voice. And have you noticed when your talking to an NPC, sometimes they'll stop and say, "What was that?" Brrrrrr, gives me chills.

But last night, after a long day of adventuring, I went home to my cozy Balmora tower (thanks to whoever made that mod), unloaded my loot, and tried to rest (time to add more ability points). My sleep is interrupted, and the message pops up, "You're sleep is disturbed, you think you hear something..." Then I'm frozen in place--pic wasn't frozen, could see my hands moving, candles flickering (Glitch? Dunno.) But when I could move again, I turned around.....and I wasn't alone. I tell ya, I felt violated, how dare they barge into my domain.

Now, I know, I could just have easily been resting out in the wilderness somewhere, but I'm sure you can appreciate the impact of it happening in my own house...major bummer.

Let's see, for the modders out there, can I get a constant effect 6th barrier shield for my house please?
Post Wed May 15, 2002 8:01 am

GMD
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

( spoiler! )

OK, it's 6:00AM Eastern time, and yes, I know I'm a "winding" addict.

But, I just had less than ten XP to get my short blade up and over, and that would give me 10. So with 1/3+/- health I looked for one lil nix hound to smush. He saw me and came running. That rabid (blighted?) beast bit me on the butt! I didn't see that he was blighted untill we were toe to .er. toe. I've never been blighted before, so I had no idea what to look for. My ST went way down my END was at 0. I was still alive but super super overburdened. I chuged a potion I had, and from nowhere (nowhere) I was spelled with "fortify attribute" !?!?! I don't have FA. I didn't missfire a spell.

I am NOT overtired So, you doubting Thomases (thomas-ai?) Thomas'.........
Explain that!

I was just on the bank of a river, all alone.

Hey, I ain't ded yet.......
Post Wed May 15, 2002 10:45 am
GMD
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by sphinxlet
<snip>
But last night, after a long day of adventuring....................<snip>

This guy, be it a he/she/or it -- is either a guardian angel or he's keeping us alive to fatten us up for thanksgiving.....
Post Wed May 15, 2002 10:56 am
Prgrmr@wrk

I keep hearing a noise like somebody is equiping or putting away an item. I thought it was my armor degrading or something.

Inlanders talk too much.
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:35 pm

A day ago I was playing and walked up to an NPC. They said something as I clicked on them to bring up the chat dialog. Here's the freaky part. While I had the chat dialog open and they are finishing their "greeting" words, I hear the sound of someone clearing their throat. It wasn't just a, "Eh hemm", but a real clearing with a bit of a cough at the end. It was only myself and the NPC and she was still finishing her "greeting" so it wasn't her. That's pretty freaky if you ask me.

Oh, and I often hear that weapon equiping sound or putting item away sound too. Is that a bug of the inventory screen or is someone actually there......??? BOO!!
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:59 pm

sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Nah, NPC's like to cough at most any point in their dialogue.
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 10:07 pm
Lisje
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

An additional thought

I never bothered to post on this before, because I felt it was blatantly obvious you are being "watched". The footsteps, the weapon sounds, the odd shadows, the NPC comments - something IS there. Whether it is a 'guardian angel' or merely an 'observer' I can't tell, it certainly doesn't seem malevolent.

But until the recent post, I never associated the coughs and whistles with it (I've heard both wolf whistles, and the "I'm bored" variety) They do often seem out of place, given the faction of who you are dealing with. It could be simply lousy AI, but I'm going to pay closer attention now. Looking back at it, it seems to me they are more frequent when you are around some of the more annoying NPCs in Morrowind. Perhaps your 'companion' is subtly vocalizing HIS opinion of the people you are dealing with at the time?
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:25 am
Prgrmr@wrk

I heard "I'm being watched, I can feel it" from my patron, so I turned of AI, and flooded the room with fireballs. And then the room downstairs. And then the hall way. Nothing. Bah. It's going to be hard to complete my mission of killing EVERY npc in the game when I can't even find some camo'd bastard next to me.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:09 pm

Cloudchaser

To those who say they've seen them:

Ok, I've noticed all these things too. I didn't think it was anything more than some NPC out of my line of sight until I started seeing posts of these types on the forums.
Once I suspected I was really being followed, I tried to make an effort to look around carefully when I heard the cues, but never saw anything I couldn't explain.
I saw shadows without people, but I know that the game has shadow glitches in it where you can see the shadow of someone who is behind a wall or on the next floor above you, so I thought that the whole thing was just a product of the very immersive and creepy game atmosphere.
But now I hear that some people claim to have seen and/or killed them, but have yet to see any screen shots of that. So I want to ask those people who say they've uncovered the followers how they did it? Please explain the circumstances, the location, and the techniques you used to uncover these hidden people.
Until I see it with my own eyes, I have to be skeptical. The idea of unseen watchers sounds like something that would be very difficult to program into a game, but considering all the other amazing features that the designers managed to pull off, I'll certainly believe it's possible. . .
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:05 am

diablo

i don't believe there is anyone following or watching you. now, i played morrowind hundreds of hours and never really seeing another person fallowing or had have contact with him/her. the footstep sounds?, yes i heard it - when i check around there's no one, but i also notice that when you looking around your character feet/body moved its will making the footstep sound. even when just move slightly you will hear the sound every time. i pretty sure that's the cause, or just a glitch. there's also sword sheathing and ring dropping sound occasionally - whenever and wherever you are. its just sound like a glicth to me. come on, don't get yourself paranoid.

Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:25 am

Prgrmr@wrk

To cloudchaser, it wouldn't be hard at all to program npc's that follow you invisibly. No harder then creating any other npc that does much of anything. Maybe a bit easier, actually, since they might not have any dialogue to them (meaning the kind that appears when you click on them, not out loud speaking). The hard part would be getting them to actually follow you properly, since the aifollow package sucks monkey anatomy. :P
But they seem to have gotten around that by simply making them disapeer every so often. Wouldn't do to have the shadowguards of the emperor getting stuck between a signpost and a boulder.

But yes, I shall be more skeptical till I see some proof.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:32 am

His Master's Voice
Village Leader
Village Leader

i had a lot of things to say on this subject after reading the first few posts, but after reading the skeptic posts they seem to have already said what i was going to say. but i'll say them again anyway:

1. when people that say "i know i'm (not you're) being watched, i can feel it", it occurs when you stand behind someone and look at them. the time it takes for them to say it is random so you may only glance at them for a ascond and they'll still say it. Theyare not talking about an invisible stalker, they're talking about you. Other things include "that guy/girl asks way too many questions" (even if you havent even spoke to them yet).

2. The whistling and the throat clearing. This is simply a silence filler like the sounds i just mentioned. it's to add a little realism to the game and, because of a bug, some can whistle while they talk.

3. The idea of you being followed is the thing i am most skeptical about. When you volunteer someone to follow you,especially a particularly long way, such as the argonian from west gash to ebonheart for example, they get stuck loads of times, and also, if you're a constant runner like me who keeps their fatigue permanently at zero, they find it impossible to catch up and you have to wait for them. Also, after observing some follower's movements, i've found that not a single npc in the game knows how to jump . so i guess your invisible follower is stuck between a boulder and a sign somwhere. I may be forced to change my opinion when i see a valid screenshot. but until then i'll have no problem sleeping at nights.

4. Footstep sounds. even i've heard these. my best explanation is that you're making those sounds. even when you stand still, you still move your feet when you look around and thus, footsteps occur. so unless the footsteps sound quieter like they're coming from somewhere else, it's simply a 'trip over your foot' bug where your character will make an extra footstep in the running/walking rythm.

5. as for the weapon changing sounds? dont think too hard about it. it's a bug.

My theory is that the invisible stalker is just a rumour created by paranoid gameplayers, a lot of bugs. and some ai improvements that players dont understand...

...but then again...
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:26 pm
Argon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmmm, I was fighting a scamp the other day and something completely invisible killed me, I was on an island in the ocean somewhere.. have no idea what happened.

I like the idea of an invisible enemy that haunts you..
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:47 pm
Draku

The sounds you here like items or weapons being equiped or such, is just your magical item reaching its full charge.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:53 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next