Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Arcanum and why I have to eateth my own wordetheses ...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

Arcanum and why I have to eateth my own wordetheses ...

Somewhere in some thread I can't find my actaul post I mentioned Arcanum as sucking. I have to take that back. It's a hell of alot of fun. I paid for it had in a box and tried to play twice before but I couldn't get past the old scholl graphics (even if I am getting to be an older bastard - you'd think I'd feel right at home with sucky graphics right?) ... Well I played for the entire night last night till 5 am and had tons of fun. The character system is really cool and I like the conflict between magic and technology.

So for the record I was way wrong about this title.

I'm sticking to my guns on IWD2 though ... I Just don't like controlling a party. I like connecting with one single character much much more.

Is there a place to trade used PC games online? I'd have several games that are in very mint condition that I'd love to trade for some games I haven't played.
Post Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:41 am
RuySan
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Arcanum is a very good game, and i don't think that the graphics are as bad as many people say. IMHO the biggest flaw of the game is the lack of balance between the classes. Playing anything other than a melee fighter is very difficult
Post Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:48 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

It was many games ago when I try this title, but I played mage with “summoning” and “dark magick” as main schools. The hurt spell (I think it’s the name) was the most useful, very seldom any enemies got at the arm length and summon creatures took care of that.
Also I recommend downloading the patch, which give you the option to remove interface.
Post Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:42 pm
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Arcanum is definatly cool, but I agree that the graphics are pretty crappy. If you take away the technology and give it a more normal RPG story it wouldnt be anything special though. But who cares?, the technology part is there and the game is cool.

Btw, my first time playing it I was using pretty much firearms only and was doing ok, alltho the ammo is very expensive, but I agree, being a melee fighter is much easier.
Post Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:04 pm
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

Thief - Mage works well ... good buffs and awesome backstab damage.
Post Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:23 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I disliked Arcanum for a couple diff'rnt reasons. For one, the random encounters are so constant, and so lethal it was a matter of loading and reloading over and over again just to get from point A to point B. Another thing, going the ballistics route is completely worthless, the firearms in that game are so weak you might as well be using a pellet gun. I was very disappointed withe the "technology" aspect of the game, why even bother with stuff thats pretty much powerless as compared to melee weapons. If youre gonna make a game with a cool industrial/tech edge to it, might want to make it at least worth going that route. True, I didnt play it thru, but I had bigger fish to fry, no use spending valuable gaming time fighting and dying repeatedly to assorted random overpowered encounters just trying to get 20 miles on the map.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:54 am
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Its true moving around on the map in the begining is hazardous, but you will get passed that point quite quickly.

As for useful technology, theres loads, like the electrical sword or the envenomed one which both better then any sword Ive found anywhere else. Theres the miners helmet that gives light, offer decent protection and doesnt decrease your perception, theres the electrical plate which is a great armour etc etc
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:42 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I loved this game, xSamhainX, but you are correct about guns. Bows too. Ranged combat is relatively useless.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:59 pm
Scrivener
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Hmm, I played guns/grenades (tech dwarf) and completed the game no trouble. The guns got more powerful as you learned more schematics.
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:09 am