Newbie, need some help with Trynton, and other questions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
mr.motzfeldt
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Newbie, need some help with Trynton, and other questions

I've played the game for a few weeks, and I just love the game. My first RPG. My party is getting quite skilled I feel, but I have problems with "killing the rats" mission in Trynton. I can't get to the 5th bough, the bridge is broken I can't figure out how to get passed it. Any sugestions?

At the moment I've just finished a mission for IUL, getting back lost men from water-caves. I have plenty of other question, but I'll try to limit myself.

1. Who can use the dagger "silueto" (spelling?)? It would have been nice if my samurai could have that as a secondary weapon, but my faerie can't use it, now at level 16. My mook bard can use it if I don't remember wrong.

2. Axe or sword for my fighter? At the moment he's using an axe, "bipennis" (again not a clue about the spelling). Is there a sword around that's worth getting?

3. Besides my fighter, I felt my party had to little vit/hit points, so I spent 3 points a few level to boost it up a little. My bishop only has 67 hit points, and sometimes he got killed too easily early in the game, a bit better now. He's now at level 16. Should I spend additional points on vit to boost up the hit-points a bit more, or will I get around with the increase every level? I'm getting better in using magic/instruments to heal wounds.

If these questions make sense to anyone I'll be happy!
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:04 pm
shai_aus
Village Leader
Village Leader

Re: Newbie, need some help with Trynton, and other questions

quote:
Originally posted by mr.motzfeldt
I've played the game for a few weeks, and I just love the game. My first RPG. My party is getting quite skilled I feel, but I have problems with "killing the rats" mission in Trynton. I can't get to the 5th bough, the bridge is broken I can't figure out how to get passed it. Any sugestions?

At the moment I've just finished a mission for IUL, getting back lost men from water-caves. I have plenty of other question, but I'll try to limit myself.

1. Who can use the dagger "silueto" (spelling?)? It would have been nice if my samurai could have that as a secondary weapon, but my faerie can't use it, now at level 16. My mook bard can use it if I don't remember wrong.

2. Axe or sword for my fighter? At the moment he's using an axe, "bipennis" (again not a clue about the spelling). Is there a sword around that's worth getting?

3. Besides my fighter, I felt my party had to little vit/hit points, so I spent 3 points a few level to boost it up a little. My bishop only has 67 hit points, and sometimes he got killed too easily early in the game, a bit better now. He's now at level 16. Should I spend additional points on vit to boost up the hit-points a bit more, or will I get around with the increase every level? I'm getting better in using magic/instruments to heal wounds.

If these questions make sense to anyone I'll be happy!

Okie dokie, lots of stuff to answer here. First, I'd like to congratulate you for choosing Wizardry 8 as your first RPG. If you can complete it on Normal (or even Novice) setting, you will have gained a lot of skill as an RPG player. It sounds like you're well on your way, so keep it up!

I have a policy of not giving away spoilers if I can help it, but I'll make an exception for the puzzle you're talking about in Trynton, because the game doesn't give you any hints on how to fix the bridge. Close to Fuzzfas's shop (can't remember what bough it's on, maybe #1 or #2) there is a hall that has a dragon statue at the far end, and lots of vines. You need to click on the vines at the far end TWICE, and get two Short Gooda Vines. Put them in your inventory, click on the combine button on the inventory screen, and combine them to make a Gooda Vine Rope. Fix the bridge with that. Also, while you're close to Fuzzfas, buy a Mystery Potion from him. You'll need it later.

1. Stilettos can be used by Rogues and Bards. Don't know about other classes; I never used stilettos much. Your Samurai should be using his Wakizashi in his Secondary Weapon slot, until you get an enchanted one. Why? Because Wakizashis are the only secondary weapon that fits into the Swords skill, something which Samurai excel at. A stiletto uses the Dagger skill.

2. Yes, there are MANY swords worth getting in the game. I'd switch to using one right away. Axes suck, for the most part. As for where to get them, try a church in the South-East Wilderness. Be prepared for a challenge.

3. Well, the usefulness of Vitality varies from class to class. It's very important for Bards and Gatgeteers, because their instruments/gadgets suck up stamina like no one's business. Obviously, your fighters on the front line need extra hitpoints, so Vit is important for them too (although Strength and Dexterity are a little more important, in my opinion). As for your Bishop, your FIRST priority is to get Intelligence and Piety maxed out. Three points into each, every level, until they get to 100. After that, you can pump up your hitpoints if you want to.

Woah, that was long. Hope it helps. Just ask if you need any other questions answered.
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:21 pm
mr.motzfeldt
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for your reply!
I got to vines, but somehow I've missed the combined button...
I understood those were important but couldn't use them. I don't like spoilers myself, but I've been hanging around several times around that broken bridge. I wonder how I missed that combine button.

My bishop has pit and int maxed out.
I've been in SE wilderness, but I retreated from the battle in the chapel there, but I'll give it another try soon. I did kill Nessie after some reloads. I think all in my party died a few times in that battle and some eaten.
I'll find a sword from my samurai as secondary weapon.

I'm just amazed about the game, I'm learning more and more. Next time I build a party, I have to plan those spell-picks a little bit more, and many expert skills (like power-strike, power-cast, eagle-eye) increase rapidly on their own, and I wonder if I'd been better off investing more points in magic. I'm very happy I have a bard, all those instruments are very helpful.
I have some questions about Rapax, but I'll wait with them untill I'v done a few more missions from General Ymir.

I'll get back to you!
Post Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:57 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Hello, mr.motzfeldt let me just welcome you. I am glad that you are enjoying this game :].
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:23 pm