Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
For Gomez!!! ( Gothic thoughts -- SPOILERS)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

For Gomez!!! ( Gothic thoughts -- SPOILERS)

Just some rambling thoughts about this great game while I wait for
Gothic 2 to reach the U.S....

===============

Well, I just finished Gothic for the second time this weekend. I originally finished it earlier this year as a straight fighter, but this time I decided to become a fire mage/ranger. I had a great time and enjoyed discovering the different dialogs and strategies that went along with my new role ( I was an old camper for both runs-- FOR GOMEZ!!!!)

I'm an "old timer" as far as CRPGs are concerened. I come from the Bard's Tale/ Wasteland / Starflight / Ultima generation so I don't throw my praise around about games liberaly.

Gothic is not perfect (what game is) , but it is a wonderful game that I am going to remember for a long time. I just started playing CRPGs againabout mid last year after a long hiatus ( I had become a bit jaded and decided to cool off on computers for a while). There has recently been a large offering of CRPGs to play and I have finisehd a lot of them: Wiz 8, BG2, Dungeon Seige, NWN, IWD, IWD2, Arx Fatalis, Morrowind. All of these games had positive qualities to them and were worthwhile overall ( although recommeding NWN is kinda shaky ).

But only Wizardry 8 and Gothic are likely to have a lasting impression on me. Wizardry 8 for its brilliant interface, voice acting, humor, and overall "feel" and Gothic for all these things and much, much more.

First of all, the world of Gothic is so richly detailed and the back story and setup is unique. I loved the whole idea of the uneasy relationship between Gomez and the King, and the story leading up to it. And it was refreshing to finally play a game based in a "different" kind of setting. A gritty, mean, prison colonly. Not some "high fantasy" elves, dwarfs, mishmash. No forced, unrealistic romance or female interaction. Just hardcore survival and using your wits. I loved it.

It was intriguing to learn about the 3 camps, how they were formed, and the motivations/political interests of its leaders. The old camp was okay with "business as usual". The Sect and New camps both yearened to get out of the barrier -- but had different ideas for acheiving it. And you are placed into the middle of this -- trying to earn respect while figuring out how to leave "the colony".

And populating this world were some of the most colorful and memorable characters I've seen in a game. All brought to life with good graphics and very good voice acting ( especially Diego ). Conversing with the characters drew you further in the world and just immersed you in the story.

The only voice that I felt was a bit misplaced was Y'berrion's southerrn drawl. I guess its perfectly alright if he sounded that way -- I just didn't "envision" him that way.

Overall, the plot was good -- but I was sorta bummed that the writers decided to use the old "ancient evil demon/creature" thing again. After such a brilliant back story and setup, it seemed like an easy way out. However, the quests you do to unfold the story and explore the land make up for this shortcoming.

Grahpics were very good and often beautiful. The ambient sounds and brooding music also added to the fun factor and suspension of disbelief. I love the brief spanish guitar licks during the whole "exploring the land" theme. The combat and spell effects were handled quite well, and the AI for enemies is stronger than you may think. I like how snappers and other beasts will try to "jump" up and get you if you are at higher elevation.

The interface did take some getting used too, but eventually I found it very elegant. Just a few keys needed to do everything. I find it odd that some detractors gave up on the game for this reason. I agree that the controls are not immediately intuitive, but once you got 'em ... you got 'em. I for one am going to use the "old" scheme when Gothic 2 comes along.

Finally, I'll close with some of my favorite moments in the game:
===============================================

-The opening chat with Diego. In the midst of all this confusion, a friendly
face tells you what's up ---and gets your mind wondering about this strange place you've been thrown into.

-The "get the amulet" ambush set up by Grim and Bloodwyn. I surprsied me, and I love the dialog:

Grim: .. Well, here we are.. far away from your friend Diego ....

It just drove home the "watch your back" quality of this badass place.

-Getting into the castle for the first time and meeting Gomez after much suspense ( I guess this means more if you are an Old Camper ).

-Exploring the ORC cemetary with Bal Lukor -- brilliant music, scripting, and atmosphere here.

-Discovering the sunken tower entrance, and doing the fog tower to get the "Chromanin" quest. Great hidden locations that are full of mystery.

-Becoming a Guard

-Getting the necromancer's robe. ( I'm not really a fan of necromancy, but that robe was COOL!!!)

-Uzriel!!!!

-Finding the "Teleport to Fire Mages" rune in the Sunken Tower. I just smiled here because I Knew the developers put that there to give you the option of having "PAYBACK TIME!!!". This means a lot more if you were an Old Camper.

-Going back the Old Camp and taking out Gomez. I love Bartholmeu ...

"How did you get here!!!..!!". And all those lutes!!!!!

Oh well, I"ve rambled on for far too long. I just wanted to express my joy for the developers for creating this game. I envy anyone who gets to play Gothic for the first time.

-Elkston

-
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:52 am
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

i agree with u totally especially with grims amulet and the fire mages rune alot of the time u didnt feel as though u were in a land populated almost entirely by criminals

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:51 pm
Lizzy
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Great post!

I finished Gothic for the third time not too long ago and am now palying the Demo. I Know how you feel though, I just loved the music when I first started to play, it almost gave the game taste. The music in the Sect camp, along with the swamp tree huts, the smoking and the waterbongs made the sect camp feel the way it did, almost oriental. Same thing with the Old Camp and Sleepers Temple. It all felt so alive.

I find myslef quoting scenes from Gothic now, and fighting off snappers in my sleep.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:29 am
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by Lizzy

I find myslef quoting scenes from Gothic now, and fighting off snappers in my sleep.

His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:01 am