Members
Usergroups
medium armor useless?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
some guy

medium armor useless?

I saw this on the official morrowind forum and thought I'd bring it up. What is the purpose of medium if it's heavier than light? Glass armor is better than the best medium armor. Is this intentional?
Post Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:58 am

Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

So far I've only found a glass shield, but it IS medium armour. Medium armour is great if you have enough skill in it - saves weight for carrying loot.
Post Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:38 am
some guy

glass armor is not medium, it is light. I am sure of it.
Post Sat Jun 01, 2002 6:42 am

Geo

Yeah, Glass armor is light. I don't know the deal with the medium armor because it's worse than light and heavy armors. I always choose heavy armor as my major/minor skill, the biggest reason for that is probably because there are a lot of really good heavy armor pieaces. For example, DragonBone Cuirass or the Lord's Mail, or some heavy gloves(I forgot the names), one of them does 20 to agility and another does 20 to strength, Constant effect. So, I don't see any reason why would somebody choose to wear medium armor, unless of cource someone thinks it looks good on their character.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:13 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I have Medium Armor as my main skill. I just want to let you know (if you do not know it already) that values of armor shown when you have your cursor over some piece of armor are values for you, not general values. I mena these values depend on your skill. So if someone with high heavy armor value and low medium armor value say all pieces of medium armor are really weak, it is not really true. Because I see and use it with other values with my high medium armor skill.
Concrete values:
my MA skill - 53
strenght - 100
wearing - mostly orcish armor pieces and draugh helm
armor rating with everything repaired - 67

I do not know if it is high, so what is your armor rating with heavy armor?
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:01 am
Guest Dare

Just a guess here but I'm going to say that medium armor holds better enchantments than light....
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:43 am

some guy

That would be an excellent answer, actually; makes complete sense. Glass armor does have better base armor though, Danicek, so says the editor. In terms of armor rating, glass armor is better than the best of mediums. But enchant is enough to make medium worthwhile. Do you know how much more enchantment medium has?
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:55 am

Lisje
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Medium armor has much higher durability than light. My character in light armor was constantly having pieces break and fall off on longer journeys until I went and bought some training in armorsmithing. With medium I've never seen a piece go below around 1/3 even when I don't bring repair tools along. Its ironic that the classes that have ARMORER as a skill are all wearing medium/heavy, when its the light armor that truly needs field repairs the most.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:00 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Armor

Yes, light armor requires repair VERY often. I believe it's primary intent was for the thief who is not intended to get into long battles (that is, he backstabs most opponents) and thus does not have his armor hit nearly as often as a stand up fighter.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:57 am
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Firstly, Orcish Armor but also other medium armor, e.g. the chain mail is just simply awesome looking, which makes it worthwhile enough for me (while I personally dont like the look of glass armor and Chitin, except for gauntlets and shoes).

Also glass seems to be pretty rare (at least in the early stage of the game ewhere I am now) while I allready came across three instances of orcish armor, I didnt see a single piece of glass armor yet.

Thirdly its a roleplaying option. I just thought medium armor would be what fit best for my custaom ranger / mercenary class. With people complaining how th e game becomes too easy, why SHOULD I go for the numerically best option?
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:16 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, I also think that mage-warrior is not good class for heavy armor... For battle mage is medium armor best option - at least from roleplaing point of view.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:52 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Armor in general

Forgetting roleplay - just looking at game mechanics, I have a question some may know. I have played two characters so far - one with no armor and one with light armor. As far as I can tell, both take about the same amount of damage in battles. Thus it seems as if the game mechanics may be balanced in such a way (perhaps with damage calcs) such that it really doesn't matter at all which you choose (no armor, light, medium or heavy) from the point of view of how much damage you will take (which is the only real reason for armor in the first place). Any thoughts?
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:29 pm
Farseer
City Guard
City Guard

Interesting point, maybe someone can get 100 to all 3 armor skills,dress out in each type of armor and fight same creature,check ac rating for us. I to think armor is there for our viewing and roleplay pleasure.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:08 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Farseer
Interesting point, maybe someone can get 100 to all 3 armor skills,dress out in each type of armor and fight same creature,check ac rating for us. I to think armor is there for our viewing and roleplay pleasure.

I will surely do this, I planned to max all three types of armor before I realized it could be also interesting from this point of view.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:30 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Medium armor is totally useless.

The strongest medium armor is orcish, and the value for that armor is 1 to 1. Meaning, the armor rating for the armor is equal to your medium armor skill.

For heavy armor, the strongest are 2 to 1, every point in heavy armor is two points of protect for that armor.

For light armor, glass is higher than 1 to 1, but less than 2 to 1. If you have 50 in heavy, medium and light and wear the best armor of each weight, the medium will be the worst.

So, medium has the fewest armor choices, and the worst armor rating.

Yet another reason why MW is horribly balanced.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:19 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next