Morrwind magic & scrolls
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Morrwind magic & scrolls

I've been trying to use magic scrolls the only way I know how. That is to put them in the quick-menu - press the corresponding number and then left click. The problem is that sometimes a scroll shows on my screen instead of the spell working ~ what's wrong?
Surely if the scroll's been used it'd go away (like the potions), especially if I have 3 or 4 of them and know dammed well I haven't used them?
Also, comparing my 'Magic Menu' with the one in the handbook, I have a long list of rings, amulets and scrolls listed under 'Magic Items', but nothing under 'Spells.' Where do I get these 'spells' from? And what'm I doing wrong?
I also have the 'Amulet of Recall' but how does it work? I've tried to use it - once again in the quick-menu, but nothing happened.
Jeez this magic stuff's confusing I'll never be a mage, lmao
Post Mon May 05, 2003 11:02 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

It is working for me. When I have scroll or when I equip magic item, its "spell" is shown under spells in my "spell list". There I can choose it (make it blue) and then use it as spell.
Post Mon May 05, 2003 6:19 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

"Spells" are the magic you can cast yourself without using scrolls, items etc. You may know a couple from the beginning if you have enough of a magical bias in your character, but the usual way to aquire them is to purchase them. NPCs with a "Spells" entry in their services can sell you spells.

The "usual" way to cast Scrolls is to enter the menu (default: Right Click), open the magic menu, scroll down to your items and select the scroll you want to cast. This selects that scroll as your readied magic. Leave the menu, enter casting mode (default: R), and activate (default: Left Click) to cast. If you use certain scrolls more frequently that others it would be faster to add them to your quick-select screen, as you mention.

When selecting a scroll with a quick-select key, leave some time to change into casting mode. You may be clicking too soon, so the character gets ready to cast but the click to cast is ignored.

The Amulet of Recall (the most useful item in the game, IMO) will teleport you to your mark - that is the location you last cast Mark at. If you've not cast a Mark spell or activated a Mark item etc, Recall will do nothing. Search out an amulet of Mark, or find someone who will sell you the Mark spell. Casting Mark next to your favourite merchant is quite useful - clear a dungeon, pick up all your loot, recall and sell it all immediately! NB You don't need to re-Mark after Recalling - the Mark will stay in that location until you cast Mark again somewhere else.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 12:23 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Spells

Aahhh - Thanx for that Why, oh why, don't the handbooks make it that simple - You should get a job writing for one MUCH appreciated.
I nicked the 'amulet of recall' from the trader in Caldera; now I'll be able to use it to get to Creeper easier with all ma loot Better still the talking Mudcrab if he's the one with more money. (Not so accessible tho, so I gather)
Another question. What's a 'bound' item? What's special about it and what does it do that's different from a 'normal' magic item.
I'm also having a spot of bother with the Umbre sword. I try to use it and my char crouches into the 'cast spell' mode instead of arming the weapon. I know it's a 'soul trap' item but........... Will my char cast 'soul trap' before arming with the sword? If you say 'Yes' I'm gonna be SSOOOO pissed off, lol. I've just been through the caves to Dagoth Gares - all those winged things and sleeper things and I didn't have any 'soul trap' scrolls with me I wonder if there'll be more there if I go back after being cured of Corprus!?
Post Tue May 06, 2003 3:28 pm
Bigfoot!
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Spells

quote:
Originally posted by Sherrin
Aahhh - Thanx for that Why, oh why, don't the handbooks make it that simple - You should get a job writing for one MUCH appreciated.
I nicked the 'amulet of recall' from the trader in Caldera; now I'll be able to use it to get to Creeper easier with all ma loot Better still the talking Mudcrab if he's the one with more money. (Not so accessible tho, so I gather)
Another question. What's a 'bound' item? What's special about it and what does it do that's different from a 'normal' magic item.
I'm also having a spot of bother with the Umbre sword. I try to use it and my char crouches into the 'cast spell' mode instead of arming the weapon. I know it's a 'soul trap' item but........... Will my char cast 'soul trap' before arming with the sword? If you say 'Yes' I'm gonna be SSOOOO pissed off, lol. I've just been through the caves to Dagoth Gares - all those winged things and sleeper things and I didn't have any 'soul trap' scrolls with me I wonder if there'll be more there if I go back after being cured of Corprus!?

Re bound items: I don't usually use them, but I believe they are basically magically conjured weapons that are weightless and last for a limited time. They are, I believe, roughly equilavent to a "real" daedric weapon.

Re Umbra: This sword AUTOMATICALLY casts soultrap when you use it. Of course you must have an appropriate empty soul gem in your inventory to hold the soul

Hope this helps

Bigfoot!
Post Tue May 06, 2003 5:46 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Also as to Umbra - If you equip it in a quick slot using the browse equipment list option you will equip it as a sword. If you put it in the quick slot item using the "magic" option you will "use" it, not fight with it.

I know that is not all that clear, but I haven't paid attention to the quick slot menu in quite sometime now ... it is just 2nd nature.

Edit - Now that I think about it some, I had the same problem. If you find yourself holding a scroll instead of casting it, it is because you filled the quick slot the wrong way - you put the scroll there using the "browse equipment list" option instead of the "use magic" option. Moral - be careful when selecting the method of filling the quickslot.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 6:38 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I thought Umbra's Soultrap was a Cast When Used effect?

That would fit with your problem - if you're accessing the sword via a quick-selection key, you've attached it as a magical item, not an inventory item.

As "using a sword for hitting someone" and "activating a cast when used effect" are different processes, you'll need to bind them to different keys if you want quick access to them. Bind one as inventory and one as magic, and it should work fine.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 6:52 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Umbra & things

Aaaahhh! Thanx for that you guys. I think I got it sorted now. Dammed newbies Still, I gotta start somewhere, huh.
If it wasn't for these kinds of places I'd never get past the opening credits.
Someone else's trying to tech me about mods coz I want to sell my high priced weapons and have nowhere to sell em. Dammed it I'm selling a 100000 weapon to Creeper for 5000 (and I don't get the 'creative selling' thing). But talk about confused? You betcha I am! lol.
Post Wed May 07, 2003 12:16 am