RPGDot Feature: Neverwinter Nights 2 Interview
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

RPGDot Feature: Neverwinter Nights 2 Interview

D&D holds a special place for many roleplayers - and they'll be anxiously waiting to see what Obsidian does with NWN2. We had the chance to talk to Producer Darren Monahan, with Chris Avellone and Ferret Baudoin chipping in to provide some great answers on all aspects of this anticipated title. With signs of an improved single-player campaign more reminiscent of Baldur's Gate than the first NWN and an improved toolset, there's a lot to look forward to. Here's a snip:<em><blockquote><b>RPGDot: Some of the NWN2 team members have worked on titles like Planescape: Torment, which featured quite complex dialog and NPC interactions. How much of this sort of design philosophy has carried over into NWN2 or does a modern D&D title need to be more accessible and reach a wider audience?</b>
<br>
<br>Darren Monahan: I wouldn't say that NWN2 necessarily needs to be more accessible, I personally see NWN2 within the class of harder core RPG's like Baldur's Gate, Fallout, and Planescape: Torment. I think we've taken the things we've learned from working on and playing these games to make sure the experience we're providing is fun to not only the hardcore D&D fan, but that folks who don't like to listen to mountains of dialog aren't put off. I push the guys to minimize how much text is used, but we have some of our most complex dialog written in any of our RPG's in NWN2.</em></blockquote>Read it all <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1200">here</a>.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:46 pm
Krzychu
Hidden Character
Hidden Character

quote:
We've also added an overland map (and overland map editor for the community) which allows for easier travel between the various hubs within the game (as well as you guessed it, random encounters!)

Oh yeah!
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:05 pm
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yep, it souds like they're doing all the right things...keeping what works and adding some nice new touches as well. I can't wait!
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:40 pm
ShadowMoses
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Great interview. It actually sounds like it might be quite good!

-=:ASHES:=- || -=:Xenus-hq:=-
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:03 pm
slak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by ShadowMoses
Great interview. It actually sounds like it might be quite good!

I agree.
Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:03 pm