Fable & Jade Empire on PC?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Fable & Jade Empire on PC?

Does anyone know if the new RPG's Fable and Jade Empire are going to be released on PC, or will they be XBox only? Seems a shame if they aren't going to be.
Why are some of these great looking games being released on a medium - Xbox, PS2, Game Cube - that has so very few RPGs? Are the makers of these games trying to change the habits of the PS2, XBox, GameCube gamers from FPS to RPGs? If so, I don't see it working. I thought the aim was to sell games and make money - but I can't see how PS2 etc. can compete with PCs in volume of RPG games sold.
After buying a PS2 just to play Summoner 2, I'm unable to find more than a (extremely small) handful of RPGs released on this medium.
Post Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:28 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

If it's released on Xbox, it's a safe bet it will be released on PC, as a general rule it might take a while (Halo and Enclave) but it will happen eventually.

For what it's worth, sports and fighting games are driving the console market right now. People who play console games generally don't want to play CRPG's.
Post Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:33 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Halo & Enclave is exception.

Jade Empire is exclusively for Xbox, and last i heard there will be no PC version of Fable. Why?, so that more people will buy certain entertainment platform because certain cool game only available on that particular platform. Why would anybody buy a Xbox if there are no cool games to buy?.

Bioware has another project, for PC only. Just wait.
Post Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:03 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Makes for a %&#*@ing expensive game to buy the console to play 2 games
If I could pick up a (really, really) cheap preloved XBox I might consider it, PLUS I'd buy the games preplayed too - precisely so Microsoft (aka Bill Gates) DOESN'T get any of my money for trying to be so @%$#ing greedy.
Post Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:14 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

I still remember all the hype and fuss when PS2 and Xbox starting to come out. But PS2 and Xbox is pretty outdated now, although they only been in market for 2-3 years.

I heard few game developers start to complain when adapting game to Xbox or other consoles. DX2: Invisible War is one of them. I think there is not real obvious advantage either you choose PC or console as gaming platform. Both have something good and something bad. But i still stick to PC, since it's more like an ALL-In-One entertainment hardware (DVD, high quality MP3, internet surfing, gaming), beside easy to upgrade, customizing and thus always more powerful than most console systems. I won't loosing sleep over few titles that released exclusively on particular console only.

Anyone who want to buy a consoles now is better wait for Xbox 2 or PS3, both probably out during 2004/2005.
Post Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:06 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Remus has already hit the nail on the head...remember that Jade Empire is being published by Microsoft and they want good, exclusive Xbox titles.

Lucky for me it's not a title I'm interested in.
Post Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:35 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

<nods> that's true! I already have a PS2 and my PC, so that's enough for me.
But if I happen to be able to pick up an XBox for, say, $50 NZ, I'll take it - but that's not at all likely, lol.
Post Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:43 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I was reading a thread that had to do with piracy and i think that console only games are another reason why piracy is so popular. I'm not saying that you should start pirating... but there are always people trying to make xbox, gamecube, and ps2 emulators so i guess the people with patience can just wait a year or two to play them for free on their computer.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:14 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Yeah, well what do they expect!?!
Is a dedicated gamer supposed to A] own every consol type there is, or B] work out a way to make them play on your PC, or C] buy a pirated copy from someone who already HAS worked it out?
To me, it defeats the 'lets play a game and have some fun' mentality. Why can't all these manufacturers pull together and make something that plays them all - kinda like PC and windows (mind you Microsoft - aka Billy Boy - STILL dominates that market ) you just update, or get a programme that plays them. I mean, you can play Music CDs and DVDs on your PC already so why not all the different kind of game formats?! I'm no techie, but it can't be that difficult; surely. As you say, Korplem, there're already emulators but aren't they just for PS one? There's one that's advertised regularly on NZ'z equivalent to eBay - TradeMe - and it's for downloading free games for PSX and playing them on your PC, I also think (but don't quote me on this, lol) it converts PSX games too.
I'm tying myself in knots here But I think y'all know what I'm trying to get at?! It's just one big rip-off. Everyone's trying to bring out a different consol and make money - hey, there's nothing wrong with 'free enterprise' but there comes a time when the market is so fragmented that it's impossible to keep up. If it's left to the game makers surely THEY'D make their games playable on all consoles - that'd make money?
Post Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:38 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

no actually, if you look hard enough you could probably find an emulator for any console. I personally have NES, Super NES, and N64 emulators and ive seen an emulator for xbox but didnt have a chance to try it out because you actually had to use a real xbox game (what i mean by that is you had to use the physical disc and put it in your computer). Also, most emulators dont cost money which is nice... i wont say where to find them cause i dont want to get banned

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:28 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Anyway, it really is a bad thing that with titles like Jade Empire, Fable, and Halo (the PC version cameout about 1 and a half years, almost 2, after the x-box one) is means more money for Billy Boy, which will lead to even more titles EXCLUSIVELY for the Sony/M$oft/Nintendo consoles and so on ..
Btw, I have not heard of emulators of the Ps2, X-Box and Gamecube, there are people making ones, but so far no one has had anzluck, especuallz with the PS2 one.
Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:09 pm