Usergroups
My experience
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

After a lot of lurking and maybe a post I finally will tell you about my experience with this game on my system (Athlon 1.1 Gig Thunderbird, 512Mb RAM, GEForce2GTS 32MB, Sounblaster Live! Value). After installing and firing the game up and having a total system lock up right after meeting Diego I was crushed. I thought I was going to experience the same shit a lot of folks around here do. And I had lurked here enough to know to get the latest drivers etc, and even got and xtra 256 stick of memory. I thought I was set! Well after jerking around a whole bunch, I decided to see what would happen if I tried Wizardry8. Same problem...as soon as the 3D engine initializes the system freezes, then I am getting freezes in the windows explorer. So I get pissed and reformat the whole hard drive, re-install what seemed like an endless amount of drivers...took like 4 hours, same problem, can't play the game. So I started at 8:00am and at 4:00pm I am ready to die. My computer keeps randomly freezing and always freezes as soon as Gothic game proper or Wizardry8 starts. I call my computer manufacturer for tech support and among a series of useless pieces of advice he suggests that I yank the battery from my motherboard for 30 seconds or so just in case it is a memory resident virus. It worked! Wiz8 started and I had no idea how to control the game or do anything in it so I decided to see if Gothic would work. It did...like butter...smooth. Haven't played Wiz8 at all now that I got Gothic working.

So to everyone complaining about the clunky controls and interface...anyone who has played a FPS before (and was smart enough to read the read me file for the switch to alternate settings) it is a breeze. I couldn't even figure out how to initiate combate or really do anything in Wiz8, but took to Gothic like a fish to water as soon as I ran it. Sure, it would have been nice to have a drag&drop interface for inventory and trading. And having to left click and push the up key to pick up something seems a bit cumbersome, but it is not really all that difficult and anyone will adapt to it VERY quickly. The one thing I couldn't figure out quickly though was how to equip my weapon. I thought it was as simple as pick up the old sword, then hit #1 on the keyboard...heh-heh, I ended up killing my first juvenile scavenger with my fists! But after playing for a couple hours I have to say I think I am going to enjoy this game very much.

And JemyM's FAQ is very helpful (only read the first half if you don't want to be spoiled). At least half the questions I see here could be answered by that FAQ. So Jemy...you should ask the board moderators if they could make that post a sticky post. Or a new post that has just the link that they lock immediately and make sticky. (By sticky, I mean it is always at the top of the list of posts).

Well, anyway I was very relieved at how smooth the game played on my system and look forward to many months as a prisoner. Don't believe the naysayers, this game is excellent.

Post Wed Dec 26, 2001 6:36 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

A good post.

GothicDot will host the FAQ when JemyM says itīs completed.
The savegame also.
Post Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:42 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Maybe longest post in this forum...

Post Wed Dec 26, 2001 8:45 pm
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

Wait I wasn't finished ~

Post Wed Dec 26, 2001 9:29 pm