Need help with magic use, big time!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Need help with magic use, big time!

I can't seem to figure out how to use magic at all.

1. I purchased spells from the store, and money changed hands, but there is nothing in my inventory to indicate that i got anything for my money - nothing in the magic part of my inventory at all.

2. I have a Ring of Healing, and although my PC is wearing it, I can't figure out how to use it.

3. There is a picture of a screen on page 36 of the manual that I can't find in my game anywhere - see p. 36 - under SPELLS. It seems to show what each spell you have does. How do I access this screen? Is that where I would find the spells I bought?

4. How do I use potions in combat?

5. ALthough I have used mushrooms for water walking, which is in one of my three magic schools, the skill bar for that school does not show any progress. What gives?

Unless I figure out how to use magic, my PC is gioing to be pretty useless, pretty fast. I can't even do the two cave quests near the first town. I need help, BIG TIME!
Post Mon May 06, 2002 1:53 am

Hit R (Default, if you remapped something to this look for the "Ready Magic" in your options menu) to bring up your hands to cast. When you purcahse spells they automatically go to your spells list.

If you right click in the bottom right it should show a list of spells. You may select one here and then when your hands up, you can cast it. (Another way below)

To drink potions you can pick one up and drag it to your character in the right-click menu (Easier way below)

Eating mushrooms will raise alchemy slightly, not your magic schools.

Hit F1 to bring up a window that will allow you to assign hotkeys to spells, items, and skills.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 2:21 am

coradin
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

magic use

There are a couple of routes. You can use the = key to cycle through all available magic (spells/items/scrolls). This is obviously not practical in combat so I have my most commonly used items and spells hotkeyed.

Then hit R to ready magic and left mouse click to execute the command.

If you have alchemy as a skill you need to get the required alchemists tools before you can make potions. These can be really expensive especially in the beginning. There is place where you can get master level tools for free (no cheating). If you want a specific spoiler let me know.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 2:21 am

1. The spells you bought are in the window at the bottom right of your screen when you right-click. Scroll to find them, click on one to "ready" the spell for casting, it will turn blue, right-click to get out of menu mode, hit R to get ready to cast, left-click to cast.

2. Same as for spells, magic items are in the bottom right menu list of magic brought up when you right-click. Select your ring and so as I said above for casting spells. There's 100% chance of successful casting for items, unlike spells (no fizzles).

3. Bottom right pane again, hover your cursor over the spell.

4. Right-click to bring up your menus. Ctrl-click on the potion in your inventory to pick up one potion, then drop it on your picture on the lefthand side of your inventory to consume it.

5. Consuming mushrooms to water walk would use your Alchemy skill. Consuming any ingredients or putting the ingredients in a Morter and Pestle to combine into potions are the 2 ways of increasing Alchemy.

If you can't find the magic menu I mention in 1-3 you might have double-clicked on it some time by accident to hide it. If so you need to find its icon and click to re-open the window.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 3:33 am