Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Graphic Card upgrade for PII 400 - Yes a PII 400!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Greydave

Graphic Card upgrade for PII 400 - Yes a PII 400!

With everything turned off, it actually runs fairly well. Bethesda did a great job! I can't wait to upgrade but that will be at least 6 months away...

So say you have a PII 400 with 128 K memory with a Viper 770 in it. Money is an issue but maybe a 100 or 150 can be scraped together. What card would you buy?

Or is there a better upgrade option? Would an extra stick of memory help?

Thanks all
Post Mon May 06, 2002 5:38 pm

Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Sweet mother of Jeebus! Is that legal? I mean, how are your FPS? Sorry, the only thing I can think of is to wait it out to buy a new compy. I'm gonna save about $900 and buy a new tower. Already got a good monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, ect.

-Monty Python Live at Aspen

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:52 pm
SandTiger

Sup. If you are going to upgrade in 6 months.. id save your money for that. If you can play the game.. stick with what you have.

If you feel you really want to upgrade.. get maybe a Geforce 2 something. Anything above that really, and your processor is going to starve the Video card for data. (however i have heard that some Geforce 2's have problems playing game)

I would suggest holding off untill you can do a complete revamp of the system.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:54 pm

bman

advice

You really need a new processor first.. probably with a new vid card.

You can probably get a new mb, new processor, and a new vid card for less than $500 that will play morrowind beautifully (and your future apps)
Post Mon May 06, 2002 7:02 pm

driftinj

It works for me

I was in the same boat as you (PII 400) except I had a V550! Went out this weekend and and picked up an Xtacy GeForce3 Ti 200 at Best Buy. $180 with a $30 mail in rebate... not bad. I could have found it online for maybe a little less but shipping and "bird in the hand" made a few extra bucks worth it. Game runs just fine... especially after disabling the copy protect BS. I usually find that loads of RAM and a good video card can compensate (not 100% but compensate) for an older processor.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 8:19 pm

driftinj

whoops.. .

That was $180 BEFORE the rebate... just to clarify.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 8:22 pm

Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hmmm, I should ask my cousin to pick up a GeForce3 Ti 200 for me... Staples here doesn't have any.

-Monty Python Live at Aspen

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Tue May 07, 2002 2:57 am