Morrowind... Any hope for me?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Nigel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Morrowind... Any hope for me?

I have held off from purchasing Morrowind all this time because I don't think my computer can handle it... But I keep reading great things about it! So, I ask all of you, can the below system handle Morrowind?

700 MHz Pentium III
128 MB RAM
ATI Rage Pro (or something like that... 32 or 64)

That is the basics of my computer . I fear that since I am just above the minimum requirements, Morrowind will load and play but so many features are going to be disabled and the game will still run so choppy that it just isn't worth my time.

What do you all think?

//Moved it to Morrowind forum// Michael C

//HOLY MOD EFFICIENCY BATMAN! Sorry, didn't page down far enough to see the Morrowind forum // Nigel

Last edited by Nigel on Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:44 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

I have played Morrowind pretty much, even finished it, and im still enjoying it, this is my comp:

AMD 900 Mhz
256 Mb RAM
Geforce 2 MX 32Mb

So, I think you will be able to enjoy it! But don't expect any great FPS, i get like 10-30 outside, and 20-50 inside. Its allright. Maybe you have to get 128 mb more RAM or so... but its not expensive.
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:49 pm
Nigel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gah! Nevermind...

Well, I failed to notice the Morrowind forum and there are all kinds of identical posts to mine here.

I'll just read them rather than waste y'alls time.

Thanks for the reply, Rawis.
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:00 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

No problem...

Most of us are pretty helpful here. If you manage to fix your problems by reading the other posts, great. If not come back and ask again

My initial brief comments are as follows:

1) Don't expect a framerate like you'd get in a FPS like Quake3. RPGs are generally more demanding on a system, but you really don't *need* a high framerate in this kind of game.

2) Beware your RAM - you're at the minimum for W98, below spec for XP. Might want to upgrade that.

3) Scan the forums for people with the same graphics card as you, they may have good tips on getting the best performance out of it.

Have fun!
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:31 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

That is true, if i got the same fps in other games, like Counter-Strike and Quake III, like i do in Morrowind, they would be un-playable! The fps are very different with Morrowind.

Having like 50 fps in Morrowind, is like having 120 in Quake III.
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:33 pm
Vorador
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Re: Morrowind... Any hope for me?

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel

128 MB RAM

This is just enough to play this game. although i tried it once on a computer with this amount, and i crashed, and everything was choppy, the graphics were all the way down, and it was not worth it. Although, if you are willing to spend some money, get 128 more ram, which gives you 256, it should work much, much, better.

Vorador

Noble? Do I look like a noble knight to you?

=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth, the Nonflamers' Guild, the Sixth House, the RPGDot Warriors, and Digger of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:12 pm