Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Disappearing ground -anyone else getting this?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Loremaster
Village Leader
Village Leader

Disappearing ground -anyone else getting this?

The game plays beautifully on my machine - Athlon 1.8 with XP and a Hercules 3D Prophet FDX 8500 LE graphics card, but in a few locations around Balmora/Caldera when I move the view up and down the ground will disappear and underneath is water and rocks.

I've literally only experienced this problem in this area, been all around Seyda Neen without any problems, inside Balmora its fine although I did get the same glitch in Fort Moonmoth so it seems to be in that general area if you follow the road from Balmora to Fort Moonmoth to Caldera.

Has anyone else experienced this, if so is there a fix and is it limited to this one area of the world please?

Thanks!
Post Sat May 11, 2002 7:19 pm

I get it too, but in other areas as well. It doesn't happen in 800*600 though, got the same system, cept a radeon AIW 8500...
Post Sat May 11, 2002 9:04 pm

Loremaster
Village Leader
Village Leader

Interesting, I have also found thus far that I don't get it in 800 by 600 which is the resolution my desktop was set to. I have now set the desktop to 1024 by 768 and *fingers crossed* haven't had the problem in the few minutes playing since in that resolution which is how I've been playing since the start.

Can you please confirm what resolution your desktop is set at, and if at 800 by 600 try switching it as I have done. I have heard in other games of people having problems with the game and desktop resolutions set differently - Anarchy Online was one I think - but it hasn't happened to me before, although this graphics card is only a week old. Although a Hercules card its powered by the Radeon 8500 chipset so I guess it could be an ATI issue.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 9:27 pm
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I have a radeon 8500 and never get that problem. I run at 1000x768. But yes the desktop has to be the same as the game or you will have nothing but trouble with bugs.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 10:22 pm
Loremaster
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hmm, its just started up again in the higher resolution with the desktop set the same - its much better but the problem is still there. I guess the next step is to give it a good test in 800 by 600 and see what happens.

Edit: If its happening after I've been playing a while, as may well be the case, perhaps there's a memory leak or something like that which is kicking in after so long?
Post Sat May 11, 2002 10:47 pm
azombie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have a Geforce4 TI4600 and am running the game with full detail at 1600x1200x32 and it runs great, however, I have seen this where we are clipping through the ground, but the only time I have experienced it was inside a dungeon when I used a rising force potion and somehow managed to clip my way through the ceiling onto the next floor.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 11:01 pm