Members
Usergroups
LOL, dirty merchants!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Guest Dare

LOL, dirty merchants!

Well, I was investigating these claims that I have been seeing on the boards about guards stealing items from your inventory when paying fines. But the items where purchased from merchants "legitimatly."
Well it turns out there is a console command called extended help or something similar that will show you who owns every item you look at. The funny thing is...
Many merchants are selling HOT goods!!!!

ROFLMAO
Bethesda really went all out making this game realistic.

Anyway, beware your local merchants goods. They may not really be their's to begin with and may be confiscated when paying fines even if you 'purchased' them.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:21 am

Prgrmr@wrk

I don't think that's why you get names showing up like that. I used that cheat too, and it just seems to show who any of that item which is in your possession. I noticed that I couldn't sell any of my diamonds to a merchant, because I stole 1 from him, even though I had 6 others. I was even careful to keep em separate
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:03 am

Guest Dare

I don't understand what you mean. I've stolen items right from underneath a merchants nose and turned right around and sold it back to them without them knowing.
It's only the guards that read the ownership tags, and ONLY when you get arrested for a crime....
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:42 am

MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Not true Dare. Merchants seem to "know" what item was theirs. Good example of this is if you swipe the gems behind the enchanter in Balmora Mages' Guild, you won't ever be able to enchant anything at her because she'll cry out "That's my gem!" or some such thing and call the guards on you. And she'll do that for any gem, not just those you swiped from her.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:50 pm
Guest Dare

Really??
Wow
I've never had that happen to me before....
I guess its because I don't tend to steal things I plan on selling, seems kind of pointless.

I have stolen items from a merchant and sold them back without problems before though. I wonder if there is some sort of qualifying factor that we're not aware of yet?
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:09 pm

Charlie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

from my experience, i've stolen stuff (like rings) from mages and attempted to get them enchanted by the mage owner. That is usually the same effect as trying to use their stolen gem. They'll yell thief, try to lay the smack down on you, and call the guards..etc etc. Just make sure that you get your stuff enchanted at some place that you know you haven't stolen from. I know I get hella confused from all my stealing. I gotta keep tabs somehow..hehe
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:21 am