Usergroups
Gothic A Review
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Gilkane
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Normally I do not post reviews, however, this is a special occation. To start with, just so you know that I have some background in this, I own and have played all of the following without cheats (and some with afterward), Baldur's Gate 1,2 &Throne of Bhaal, Max Payne, Diablo 1, 2 & Expansions, Red Faction, Vampire the Masqurade the Redemption, Alien v Prediator 2, Summoner, Everquest, and several others. I also have a C++ background so I understand programing, but enough about me.

I purchased Gothic at my local store when I was looking for a good game. It was not even on the stores top ten list, I now have to wonder about that store. In any event, it goes without saying that as far as RPG's are concerned Biowares (TM) Bladur's Gate © series is the defining RPG out there, and that Blizzards(TM) Diablo© series is the definative third person rpg-action out there, and finally that Max Payne© is the defining 3rd person action game on the market. These three games have either set the standards or have changed them to their games standards. Then comes Gothic. Granted its a bit of a monster to start up, and God knows you need the patch if your using the English version, but how many patches have been out there for others as well? Everyone has a patch for there game, its the nature of the business.

Gothic has in my humble opinion nearly everything I have wanted in this genre of games that I have seen yet. Its 3d environment is lush, and interactive. The sun actually rises and sets and you can see it happen. The Barrier is visible and ever moving. The monsters are doing daily routines, hell if your careful you will see wolves kill and eat scavenger birds. Each animal has a personality of sorts. When I shrank the troll its confusion at its new size was even apparent. The NPC interaction is without a doubt the single most advanced dialoge that I have seen in any game ever. The sound effects of the spells, of the combat, the realistic effect of weapons. When you pumple someone others around you yell, "He's had enough." its simply a magnificent rich 3d environment.

The advancement system is well thought out, allowing for absolute character customization. Advancement throught he ranks and the skills is well thought out and not seemingly impossible to abtain. Your level and skills are determined by your patience, i.e. how long you are willing to take to gather experience.

Also, the first truily non-linear game plot. You can finish quests in any order. Granted you need some to complete chapters in the story, but you can complete them as you see fit. This makes for a great game.

Finally, in an overall package...Gothic rates in a class by itself. Max Payne meets Diablo 2 / Baldur's Gate 2. After this game, all games will be hard pressed to impress this advide CRPG player / programer. Well done to all involved. Well done.

Post Wed Jan 30, 2002 2:33 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

(Claps hands vigorously.)

BRAVO, BRAVO! They should have you working for Gamespot instead of the idiot who reviewed Gothic.
Post Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:39 pm
FrankyK
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, he'd have to learn to spell first.

Incidentally, Diablo is most definitely NOT a RPG, no matter what it says on the box.
Post Wed Jan 30, 2002 5:57 pm
Gilkane
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Frank, no I can spell I just have a lot of fun having conficts with my key board...in other words I am not a typist...lol. And Diablo is an Action/RPG, but I understand what you mean.
Post Wed Jan 30, 2002 9:13 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

In the most literal meaning, Diablo is an RPG. You take up a role. You interact with others. You take up tasks. You advance.

Of course, in its most LITERAL meaning ALL computer games are RPGs, as even if you're playing a football game you are taking up a role as the coach or a player. Even StarCraft puts you as a colonial leader, a new cerebrate, etc.

Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 3:04 pm