Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion (Xbox 360) - Zero Hour Impressions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion (Xbox 360) - Zero Hour Impressions

An Xbox 360 launch event has seen Pete Hines from Bethesda show off some new areas from Oblivion, as covered in these <a href="http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/668/668503p1.html" target="_blank">impressions</a> at Xbox360.ign. According to the preview, Pete claimed the content is complete:<blockquote><em>Next, Pete guided the character through a forest area toward an area of stone ruins. Though the graphics in the area were gorgeous, there were a significant number of objects that would pop in and out of visibility. Pete was quick to say that this build is still being worked on, and that by the time TESIV releases later this year the framerate and popping issues will be resolved. Will this actually happen? We're assuming so. After all, it was basically the reason the game was delayed in the first place. As Pete said today, all the game's content is finished and now the development team is hard at work on fine tuning.</em></blockquote>
Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:21 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

After 4 or 5 years and $6 billion of this xbox crap, MS is still killing PC sales, development and inovation from hardware to software development, thanks jerks!

Its like telling michelangelo he could only use giant crayons and construction paper, sure he could still create but nothing with detail or depth.
Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:35 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Acleacius
After 4 or 5 years and $6 billion of this xbox crap, MS is still killing PC sales, development and inovation from hardware to software development, thanks jerks!

Its like telling michelangelo he could only use giant crayons and construction paper, sure he could still create but nothing with detail or depth.

Might help if you add some context to your comment.

1) RpgDot posts a news announcment about Oblivion with a Link to the article.
2) The Article discusses some aspects of Oblivion
3) You post a commnet about how consoles are killing PC sales, development, and inovation...

My little peanut brain can't make the leap from the posted news article to your comment... please expand...
Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:27 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"can't make the leap from the posted news article to your comment"

Sure thou the anaylsis of RPGDot's functions seems out of place, unless you misunderstand me and think I was calling RPGDot jerks which would be confusing to me.

I thought it was common knowledge that MS started bribing/enticing/strong arming PC developers (5-6 years ago) away from PC games and has publicly stated there orginal intent/expctations were to lose 4 billion to become competetive with PS systems.
They have recently also public stated they have been a detriment to PC gaming within the last 2 to 3 months.

Second, it clearly states in Dhruin's chosen paragraph that there are still problems with the console version.
Maybe your not familar with Morrowind Oblivion's predeceser, it was developed for PC first as were all 3 (total) Elders Scrolls series, then ported over to console, which went very smoothly if I recall (thou I am no console expert and didnt play that version).

I am basicly left to try to cover all points since you werent clear on what you didnt understand, so appolgies if I didnt guess correctly.
If this is the case please ask a specific question.

Cheers.
Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:54 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
I am basicly left to try to cover all points since you werent clear on what you didnt understand, so appolgies if I didnt guess correctly.
If this is the case please ask a specific question. Cheers.

I understand your comments and I am aware of some of the things you point out. I was just a little confused that it was this news posting where you decided to place your comments is all... I would have expected to see your comment on the forums with a thread entitled similarly as, 'MS Killing PC Sales' or something like that...

But as to your actual comments, I have the same sentiments as you.

However, I think with the huge push by American developers to grab a wider audiance by making games more 'mainstream' has left a wide opening for European developers to make and publish some excellent, and thoughtful CRPGs over the last few years Gothic (1, 2 & the soon to come 3), Arx Fatalis, & Divine Divinity to name 3 of my favorites out of Europe.

I found the gameplay of those 3 games were somewhat of a tribute to the style of gameplay found in American-made computer games from the 80s and early 90s (i.e. Ultima), but of course with much better graphics and in some cases, depth.

That all said, Oblivion still looks to be shaping up to be a nice game. While I can see how each iteration of the TES series moves increasingly toward grabbing a wider audiance it still appears that there are plenty of deep gameplay elements there to keep the more-serious gamer engaged.
Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Lucky Day

quote:

Its like telling michelangelo he could only use giant crayons and construction paper...

I hate to burst your bubble but that's exactly what happened to Michelangelo. The artist was the most famous sculpter in Europe at the time and was forced into painting the Sistine Chapel. He did not do it by choice.

quote:

...sure he could still create but nothing with..depth.

Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:00 pm

Even More Lucky Of a Day

So, you are saying that the Xbox 360 is the sistine chapel?

Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:24 pm

Kepler
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

History

Old Mikey got paid, bro. Alot.

He was reluctant to paint the sistine chapel because he was working on a sculpture, his real true love. But he spent his life hiring himself out to popes so he could support his art without having to get a 9-5 job. A necessary trade off. So, I doubt he was forced but rather felt irritated.

History can be interpreted in many ways. That is the advantage historians have hundreds of years after the fact. Just my own meaningless interpretation.

Console game makers get paid too, bro. Alot.

Grand Theft Auto 3 San Adreas sold 5 million. That's 5,000,000. The best selling PC game of all time is the Sims with about 6 million total. That is the top selling game of all time and it took 5 years to reach that mark.
Post Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:01 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"I would have expected to see your comment on the forums"

I see people posting on the news comments alot and havent noticed any particular philosophy and starting a thread to bash MS hardly seems like comentary, more like trolling.
I guess my comment could seem like trolling but it wasnt intended that way, definatly frustration at MS self destructive ways, to each his own I guess

I agree with you, I was so excited 3 or 4 years ago when JoWood and other publishers poped up on my radar bring some great european releases to rest of the world.
Thou in the last year or more JoWood started losing, at least my respect first on their boards (a really poor/horrible moderater) and then their mismanagement.
I certainly dont blame them completly for the Atari debacle but they were certianly at least equally responsible as Atari.

I am certainly looking forward to sequals to all titles you mentioned, as well.

Thats true I really think Gothic series rattled Bethesda's cages, Gothic world seem much more alive and believable with much more depth to NPCs.

Heh, Bethesda even decided to name theirs Radiant AI, which is of course basicly Gothic's more realistic NPC system.
Now lets hope Bethesda does a better job on making the quest better and more indepth like the Gothic series, then we will have 2 winners

"I hate to burst your bubble but that's exactly what happened to Michelangelo."

Heh, there must be a language barrier issue here as comparing teh finest oil based paints and the fiinest brushes of the time and construction paper to the Sistine Chapel is well, silly ( to use a pc term).
So I hope you can understand if I dont really feel like my bubble has been busted
Post Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:18 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Thou in the last year or more JoWood started losing, at least my respect first on their boards (a really poor/horrible moderater) and then their mismanagement.

I take it you are perhaps a Brit since you write the word, 'Thou' instead of the American way of, 'Though...' I live in CA.

I thought Jowood is just a publisher? Am I correct? If so, just because the Publisher can't seem to run themselves doesn't mean that the Devs out of Europe have gone sour.... I'm an old school gamer (I go back to the early 70s of gaming and YES I'm an old fart! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that European developers continue to crank out some great CRPGs because the big-money focus in the American market is to turn Movies into Videogames in 2 weeks which really stinks. Ah well.
Post Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:05 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"'Thou' instead of the American way of, 'Though"

Nah, mostly post late (tired) or just netspeak/slang I guess, Texas here.

"I thought Jowood is just a publisher? Am I correct? "

Yes, I just picked them as the most prominent and have brought or helped bring many good games to the shelves.
Publishers are important since in the current scheme of things they do funding, advertising and distrubtion.
I am not really familar with the European developers financing deals, maybe they are offered some goverment funding/loan protection to help foster growth .

Yes it is great to see many fresh new talented companies/people/ideas coming from Europe, as you mentioned many problems here in the US, which I mostly blame MS for
I am sure I will play both but my heart will be more into Gothic 3, unless Oblivion is more successful at making me care about the TES world and NPCs than in the past.

Well as many have stated, more time to upgrade
Post Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:45 am