View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

Geforce 3(or all chipsets) WindowsXP update today

I anally check the windowsupdate.

Get it now, and experience a performance boost in your Morrowind. Less "chop" in Balmora.
Post Sat May 18, 2002 7:53 am
Grimthryd

Where is the driver?

Where is the driver located. I went to Nvidia's websight, went to drivers and 2000/xp. The newest it showed is dated 4/26/02 and is named the Detonator XP Driver. Could someone tell me the new one is, I have a G4 MX 440.

Thanks
Post Sun May 19, 2002 2:21 am

Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Re: Where is the driver?

quote:
Originally posted by Grimthryd
Where is the driver located. I went to Nvidia's websight, went to drivers and 2000/xp. The newest it showed is dated 4/26/02 and is named the Detonator XP Driver. Could someone tell me the new one is, I have a G4 MX 440.

Thanks

He was talking about using Windows Update. If you dont have a link you can find it at www.windowsupdate.com
Post Sun May 19, 2002 2:28 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

For some reason my Windows Update wont work, and I dont see any updated drivers either..4/26 are still the latest (last month)
Post Sun May 19, 2002 2:40 am
Thrawn

click 'Windows Update Catalogue'
click ' Find driver updates for hardware devices'
click ' Video'
and woila.

The latest 2.8.3.9 is all the way down the bottom.
It did make a difference to the FPS, however MW is enjoyable and immersive no matter if it's running at 30fps or 60fps.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 1:43 pm

Grimthryd

Thanks

Thanks, I will try manually going through the catalogue. I did auto update, and it showed nothing, nor did Nvidia's site have anything new. I will try this when I get home.

One question, why would Windows update for XP have it, but not Nvidia's site?
Post Mon May 20, 2002 5:27 pm

Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The drivers shown on windowsupdate are those that Microsoft has certified. The Latest GForce drivers we on the Nvidia site before Microsoft ever got around to certifying them. What you see on windowsupdate, should be the same Detonator Drivers listed on the Nvidia site.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 5:36 pm
The_Elder_One
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn
click ' Video'
and woila.

It did make a difference to the FPS, however MW is enjoyable and immersive no matter if it's running at 30fps or 60fps.

At http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp there is no 'Windows Update Catalogue' button. There is a 'Windows Catalog'. Inside there is no reference to a ' Find driver updates for hardware devices'

So how do I find this driver?
Post Mon May 20, 2002 6:36 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Just download it from the nvidia site.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 6:57 pm
Uttoxeter

quote:
Originally posted by The_Elder_One
quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn
click ' Video'
and woila.

At http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp there is no 'Windows Update Catalogue' button. There is a 'Windows Catalog'. Inside there is no reference to a ' Find driver updates for hardware devices'

So how do I find this driver?

Elder_One, just goto Windows Update site and click on Personalize Windows Update - there's an option there to show the "Windows Update Catalogue" option.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 9:35 pm

bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

All you people seem to have problems in Balmora? it runs actually quite good here...not SUPER smooth...but definetely very playable...i just did little tweaking...weird that everybody has stuttering in Balmora while that town is quite good here the town that really stutters alot here is Seyda neen....

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Mon May 20, 2002 10:21 pm
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Okay i build my own comps and have done alot of experimenting with this game. I found for geforce3 or any other geforce is to get the latest drivers wich now is detenator xp from nvidia site not your card manufacurer. Same with the nforce motherboards. It seems all the card manufacturers do is slice and dice the drivers till the just dont work that good. The drivers worked so well that i now use my geforce3 for this game instead of my radeon. Balmora will always slow your comp down but at this point i get no hestation or stutter in that town or the game. 1000x 2x or 4x aa. Full distance..full ai. Also to get rid of mouse lag just set the delay help window to the middle or 75%. System specs.. Thorough scaned.. Defraged hardrive..then installed game .. 1.4ghz athlonxp 512ddr nforcemb..geforce3 or radeon 8500. Custom built. I cannot speak for the name brand comps with same spec. Just never mess with them or have any interest to do so. Both video cards work great with this game if set up properly.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 10:39 pm
Squeetard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Forget Windows update, you should have never been using the default Microsoft drivers anyhow. Go to www.nvidia.com and get the latest reference drivers.

Do it now! Dammit!
Post Tue May 21, 2002 12:20 am
Midiboy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The Windows version of the driver sucks! Refresh Rate stuck at 60Hz is crap.

Go to www.xp-erience.org and get the latest nVidia drivers from there. They are newer than the ones at nVidia.

(And yes, they are legal...they are what they call leaked drivers, and nVidia purposefully leaks them for free testing...but the drivers are ROCK solid. I am a tester for nVidia. BTW: The nForce motherboards are AWESOME if you have an Athlon. No VIA issues for me anymore!)

Check out http://www.midiboy.com for info about Midiboy Music
Post Tue May 21, 2002 12:28 am
The_Elder_One
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

help

Ok thanks for the tip about how to get the update catalog.

I was able to find the latest Nvidia driver at the bottom of Microsoft list and I want to install it to test it vs the latest one from the Nvidia site.

My problem now is I downloaded the driver from the windows update site, but I can't install the driver! There is nothing in the download to double click that will do an auto install. When I go to device manager and select to update the driver and choose the location as the the downloaded file, it says there is no driver type file there "Driver\en\com_microsoft_whql.video\x86WinXP\..." (the download)

Can you please tell me how you installed that latest microsoft driver? thanks
Post Tue May 21, 2002 1:40 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next