Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How to increase Skills (Contributions encouraged!)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Dark Lotus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

How to increase Skills (Contributions encouraged!)

Okay, below is a list of the Skills in the game (note that the order listed is what appears in my game as a Redguard Rogue, so your list might be in a different order). Please add any ways that you know of to increase them, be it over time or quick ways. Obviously, quicker ways would be better, as the point of this thread is to create a list of tips & tricks. Also note that this will serve in manipulating a particular skill to give you a better multiplier. For example, Acrobatics' governing attribute is Strength, so if I can increase that quickly, or several times in one level, I can make it so I get a higher multiplier for that attribute when I level up.
Now, I know you can find the right people who will train you in these skills, and pay them, so if you can't think of any other suggestions for learning on your own, simply list WHERE to find someone that teaches you that skill (if you know multiple locations, list cheaper one). And if you ARE going to list someone, please be more specific thn "Balmora," as in "Mages Guild, Balmora, NAME OF PERSON"
Hopefully, together, we can create an FAQ to submit to GameFAQs.
Here's the list:

Skill (governing attribute) - Tips for level-up

<b><u>Short Blade (Speed)</b></u> -
<b><u>Mercantile (Personality)</b></u> - Every time you sell something, use the up/down arrow to adjust it. At first only jack the price by a gold (and don't exceed half of what the item's actually worth) piece. Later on you can get the full half. Later on you can get 4/5th value. Every time you buy something take the price down by a gold at first. Later on you can go much lower. I bought a 10,000 gp sword for 4200 with a 45 skill. Don't know how much lower I could have gotten with my now 80. Don't worry about every time you offer and they refuse losing a reputation point with them. When you leave the dialogue screen and come back all temporary losses and gains are erased. Only permanent losses or gain by persuassion attempts or bribing remain.
If you really want to raise your Mercantile skill, sell items (and barter them) individually. If you have three Potions of Rising Force, sell them one at a time and barter. This will give you three successes instead of just one, therefore raising your skill three times as fast (or whatever).
<b><u>Axe (Strength)</b></u> -
<b><u>Light Armor (Agility)</b></u> -
<b><u>Hand-to-hand (Speed)</b></u> -
<b><u>Block (Agility)</b></u> -
<b><u>Medium Armor (Endurance)</b></u> -
<b><u>Speechcraft (Personality)</b></u> - Only way I know of this to work is from Training. I used Caius Cosades in Balmora in his home when I had done enough tasks for him that a) he'd actually train me and b) his disposition towards me was 100. But the problem with this was that, each time I Trained and went up one level in this skill, I also got closer to leveling up. When your cursor hovers over your current level, you can see a fraction (x out of 10) that shows how close you are to leveling up. So basically, each time I went up one skill point in Speechcraft, I went up one tenth towards a new level. However, by the time I reached the next level, I still got a 5x multiplier for Personality.
<b><u>Athletics (Speed)</b></u> - Pointing yourself into a corner and holding the run button will slowly make this rise over time, but that's all that I know of.
<b><u>Long Blade (Strength)</b></u> -
<b><u>Armorer (Strength)</b></u> -
<b><u>Heavy Armor (Endurance)</b></u> -
<b><u>Blunt Weapon (Strength)</b></u> -
<b><u>Spear (Endurance)</b></u> -
<b><u>Enchant (Intelligence)</b></u> -
<b><u>Destruction (Willpower)</b></u> -
<b><u>Alteration (Willpower)</b></u> -
<b><u>Illusion (Personality)</b></u> -
<b><u>Conjuration (Intelligence)</b></u> -
<b><u>Mysticism (Willpower)</b></u> -
<b><u>Restoration (Willpower)</b></u> -
<b><u>Alchemy (Intelligence)</b></u> -
<b><u>Unarmored (Speed)</b></u> -
<b><u>Security (Intelligence)</b></u> - Buy a Lock spell and cast it on a door/chest, and then use a lockpick to unlock the door/chest. Just repeat this over and over to gain skill. Lockpicks can be bought from a Khajit on the bottom floor of the South Wall Corner Club in Balmora. As to where to buy a Lock spell.....?
<b><u>Sneak (Agility)</b></u> - I have heard that if you hold the sneak button and point yourself at a corner while a guard's back is to you, similar to the Athletics method I mentioned, you will raise this over time.
<b><u>Acrobatics (Strength)</b></u> - This is my favorite. Simply keep jumping. Either bunny-hop as you go through the game; or jump from somewhere high, get hurt and take damage (damage from falling=raise in Acrobatics); or find somewhere to just jump up and down continuously. Only downfall to the third method is that you can't just hold down the jump key. You need to press it each time - at least that's been my experience. Anyone that knows different, please let me know. But basically, you can raise this skill many times. And each time it raises one skill point, it does NOT raise you one tenth closer to your next level, so you can go ahead and get the 5x multiplier on this, then move on to another skill to level up on towards a multiplier.
<b><u>Marksman (Agility)</b></u> -

Using this should help people really control how their character levels up, so please contribute your own tips and tricks.

Existing tips and tricks are courtesy of Afgar, VoodooDaddy, Morandil, and EverythingXen
Post Wed May 22, 2002 10:16 am

acrobatics is by far the easiest to raise. you don't even need to jump everywhere you go. just find a steep hill, one that you can barely climb. now jump up it as fast as you can. you don't even need to sit and dfo it all the time, unless that is your thing. whenever i am going up a ladder or a set of stiar, i jump.

any armor is likely the next easiest to raise quickly if you are so inclined. load up on potions and a divine intervention, and find an area with 3-4 fairly hard hitting oponents. stand there and take a beating, drinking potions and taking the occasional strike with your weakest combat skill in order to get your sheild up for blocks (this doesn't seem to be necessary once your block skill gets good, your char will raise it automatically). with 4 theives or telvanni whacking away at you, your armor raiting will raise several levels in seconds (less once that skill is higher)

all of the chance related skill are on a bell curve - much like real life. you only get increases on success, so you really have to practice alot at first until you get your groove. once you start to get decent, you move up to average to above average fairly quickly. from there your progression slows again.

i wouldn't worry about the multipliers so much. i tried to get them through training misc skills in exchange for money and the multiplier didn't change much. besides, with a properly managed character, you can get ~70 levels before you max out your stats.
Post Wed May 22, 2002 11:11 am

entrails
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Nice work but i must admit id rather just play the game and let my stats go up from use instead of deliberatly getting them up kinda ruins the fun if u are invincible....
Post Wed May 22, 2002 11:16 am
bpdlr

Easy way to get magic skills up

Spells: The best way to increase spell skills (Alteration, Illusion, Mysticism et al) is to go to a spellmaker and get them to create a spell that has the minimum effect (i.e. Chameleon for 1 point for 1 sec) - it should only cost 1 Magicka to cast. Name this spell "Practice [spell school]". Then you can have a load of them for each spell school you use and keep casting them as you walk/run around town.

Make sure however to make these spells as harmless as possible. My Practice Mysticism spell is Absorb Fatigue, and I've managed to cast it on passers-by by mistake, which makes them turn hostile. Try passive spells instead.

Alchemy: An easy trick is to find a vendor who sells spell ingredients and buys potions. The ingredients get re-stocked every time you access the Barter function, so just find two sets of cheap ingredients from which you can create a potion (i.e. not diamonds or Daedra Hearts!) and stock up until you run out of money. Then just equip your mortar and pestle etc. and choose those two ingredients and click away. It takes about 25-35 potions to increase your level, and the price will go up as you get better. Then you can sell the potions back to the vendor in exchange for more ingredients! Rinse and repeat...

Enchant: Er, I dunno :p I'd love to find a way to increase this as even at 54 enchant I find I can only create dumb little things with any level of success.
Post Wed May 22, 2002 12:37 pm

bpdlr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: How to increase Skills (Contributions encouraged!)

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Lotus

<b><u>Security (Intelligence)</b></u> - Buy a Lock spell and cast it on a door/chest, and then use a lockpick to unlock the door/chest. Just repeat this over and over to gain skill. Lockpicks can be bought from a Khajit on the bottom floor of the South Wall Corner Club in Balmora. As to where to buy a Lock spell.....?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you actually use a lockpick to lock as well as unlock? So get a whole load of them, and just keep clicking!

BaZ
Boycott Shampoo!
Demand REAL poo!
Post Wed May 22, 2002 1:04 pm
crpgnut2

Increasing the Enchant Skill

Enchanting is easy to increase. Just use up the charges in an item. Click on a full soul gem and drag it to your picture. Choose recharge item instead of enchant item. The best idea is to use the petty soul gems that are found everywhere. Buy several Gem Feeder scrolls and use them on low level monsters, if you can't cast the actual spell. Each gem will add 2 or 3 charges to your item at first, more as you become more skilled.
Post Wed May 22, 2002 1:32 pm

Morandil
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I posted this elsewhere, but for Mercantile, barter things one at a time. You have to make sure that that value is enough that the merchant will accept your offer (this seems to be based on a percentage of the value). You may not be able to effect a 5 gold item's cost, but a 50 gold item's cost will be easier to alter by a gold or two.

Has anyone noticed if difficulty affects how much you progress in skills (does a 50 point lock raise you any better than a 10 point lock?) Or is it purely repititions?
Post Wed May 22, 2002 3:58 pm
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Speechcraft will rise when you bribe/taunt/admire/intimidate succesfully

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Wed May 22, 2002 6:01 pm