FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Just got Gothic - Don't want to break quests
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread

Just got Gothic - Don't want to break quests

It seems that if you explore too much in Gothic you get the shaft quest-wise. Can anybody tell me if this is only within a particular chapter or something you might do in chapter 1 and e.g. comes back to haunt you in the lasty chapter? Furthermore which areas should be avoided until it becomes a quest objective? In some walkthrough it stated to avoid all locked areas without having a purpose for being there. Does this include, say, the two locked huts in the marketplace of the old camp? What exactly causes the quest breaking? Prematurely picking up a particular object, killing a particular NPC/monster, solving a particular puzzle, just opening a door for fun? Thank you.
Post Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:04 am

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Re: Just got Gothic - Don't want to break quests

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
It seems that if you explore too much in Gothic you get the shaft quest-wise. Can anybody tell me if this is only within a particular chapter or something you might do in chapter 1 and e.g. comes back to haunt you in the lasty chapter?

I found that you could easily explore without consequences any areas that are not cut off by gates that are openned by a winch.
quote:
Furthermore which areas should be avoided until it becomes a quest objective?

Avoid any place that has a winch that you must use to open the area. The winch bug has ruined a number of people's fun. Don't use them unless you have a quest related to it and even then, save before using them.
quote:
In some walkthrough it stated to avoid all locked areas without having a purpose for being there. Does this include, say, the two locked huts in the marketplace of the old camp? What exactly causes the quest breaking?

This is refering to the winch bug. It can be bypassed however if you do encounter the bug.
quote:
Prematurely picking up a particular object, killing a particular NPC/monster, solving a particular puzzle, just opening a door for fun? Thank you.

Fortunately in this game, picking up items, killing certain monsters or NPCs doesn't usually effect the main quest. As a rule you shouldn't kill any named NPC until you are sure they have no use. Some NPCs have an 'immortality' flag that makes it impossible for them to die until their purpose is through. You'll want to leave at least one swampshark because I don't think they respawn for a certain quest. You'll probably want to leave the focus stones where they are as well until you need to get them. That's all I can think of at the moment.
Post Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:16 am
Moonslash
Celestial Guardian
Celestial Guardian

There are many things you do that will affect the game later on.

1. Never touch a winch unless you are assigned a quest to go to that area. For example, the Old Mine. The locked doors are not included. Opening chests and doors won't affect the story, but you might get attacked from the people around, so be careful.

2. Picking up objects will not affect the story, but might cause someone to attack you, thinking that you're stealing.

3. Beating up some of the NPCs will affect the game, and there are many of them. As a result, try not to kill people with names.

I hope this helps.

Things are neither completely bright nor dark.

Do you go right? Or do you go left? A simple decision, yes? No ambiguities. Only the dream of the path not taken! And so one might stand in this place and contemplate for a long while. What will I miss if I go left? What will I lose if I go right? And in my indecision, have I chosen a worse fate?
Post Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:16 am

Thank you for the replies Val and Moonslash.

OK so it seems its mainly a winch thing. So what would happen if I save before touching any winch and then either successfully open it, or if not possible leave it alone. Will an open gate through successfull use of a winch stay opened throughout all chapters? If not that may be a problem.

PS: There is a winch at the very beginning of the game. Does it do anything? It neither closes the gate directly below or opens the derelict mine a few steps further along the way. Since this a no-spoiler board a does something / does nothing answer will suffice.
Post Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:51 am

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

After openning an area it stays open. Unless you try using the winch again. There have been reports of people using a winch successfully, but then they closed the gate again and could no longer get it open. So, if you got it open, leave it open.
And that winch at the beginning does nothing.
Post Sat Jun 01, 2002 2:00 am
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

quote:
[...]There is a winch at the very beginning of the game. Does it do anything?[...]

this one does nothing at all.

- nico

ps: if you want to answer an question in the forum, be sure Val is not online =)
Post Sat Jun 01, 2002 2:03 am

Wow Val your replies are so prompt, it's like you're dutyfully watching over this forum. Thanks again to anyone who replied.
Post Sat Jun 01, 2002 3:18 am