Lionheart : Your oppinion.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Skjold
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Lionheart : Your oppinion.

There is a lot of Lionheart topics, here is mine. Maybe there is something like it, then i have missed it.

Sorry for the ppl out there who love it. This was not ment to be a flaming Thread, but i just have to let it out, where ppl of my kind could read it and tell me what they think.

I Finnally go it! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! NOT!!!!
I've been waiting for this game for ages now, always been a lover of Bioware's work. But what the HELL is this? WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!!!!
Never have i wasted my money or my time on such CRAP before...
I've played it for 10-12 hours maybe, then deleted it, burned it and urinated on the ashes ....
What went wrong. I expected a BG2 or Torment style game, but man was i way off. Whats with the LVL system, it's been but back 10 years. Lousy magics, no usefull skills you can use, just a bunch of Peeks, and the WORST combat system in the history of man. Why is there a pause fuction when you can't plan a stragetic assualt anyways. Real-time cRPG, yuck!
This is just Diablo with a worthless thin story-line. After Barcelona nothing happens. Just fight, save, heal, fight...
This game is nowhere near completed! And the NPC's, or should I say mindless mute zombies, without a taint of personallity.

*WHINE WHINE*

SHAME ON YOU BIOWARE! SHAMČ ON YOU!

PS: Sorry to the ppl who dont share my oppinion, but I am a man with a broken heart, and no good Party-based RPG to play. And my favorite company just keep getting worse... BUHUUUUU
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:22 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Well I absolutely share your concerns about issues in Lionheart, but

Bioware has nothing to do with this, mostly just because Bioware did not make Lionheart Lionheart was BlackIsle production, which is quite a different thing. And comparing recent works of BlackIsle (IWD2, Lionheart) and Bioware's (NWN, KoTOR) you can clearly say that BlackIsle is somewhat lowring its standars of game design, where Bioware is making excellent games.

So long live Bioware!

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:34 pm
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

I did not like NWN AT ALL! I don't wanna go into details, but I think there was absolutely nothing in NWN that made it better than BG2, or even close. The graphics were crap, the camera view was crap, the dialogs were crap, the companions were crap, the netcode (for a hard-core RPG?) was crap, etc. What wasn’t crap, however, is the company's name – "Bioware, makers of the BGII". But I admit, my favorite RPG company, BIS, is somewhat on decline. They haven't produced anything worthy in a long while (IWD2 - are you kidding me?), and Fallout3 is still far away (if ever).
Lionheart - that's what happens when developers are afraid of being themselves, and instead opt to move with the crowd. "Diablo-like" printed all over a game box doesn't sell games anymore. They decided to cheat BIS fan community by pulling off a title which looks like a story-driven RPG in the beginning, but then turns into a mindless "Diablo-like" hack'n'slash crap 'till the end of the game, but who's really got cheated are themselves.
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:59 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by NeverDark
I did not like NWN AT ALL! I don't wanna go into details, but I think there was absolutely nothing in NWN that made it better than BG2, or even close. The graphics were crap, the camera view was crap, the dialogs were crap, the companions were crap, the netcode (for a hard-core RPG?) was crap, etc. What wasn’t crap, however, is the company's name – "Bioware, makers of the BGII". .

There just was a nice flame thread on why NWN is bad in NWN General section So you're not alone. In fact I admit (again) that NWN single player is not as good as in BG2. But the game made evry good use of D&D 3 rules. Graphics were nice, I think it's just we all got used to Infinity style 2,5D isomerics. And if you want good dialogues, companions etc. - try Shadows of Underntide. Great addon, just to fit your taste. Other user-made modules are also fine. NWN totally satisfied me being the best multiplayer D&D game ever.

quote:
Originally posted by NeverDark
IWD2 - are you kidding me?

IWD2 was not the cream of the cream, but I liked it. It had an atmosphere of IWD1 that I enjoyed so much. I think people know me here as a big protector of IWD series, and I'm ready to stand for Ten-Towns one more time OK, OK, I won't fight, but, IWD2, was really, not that bad.

EDIT: NeverDark, I think we don't need to fight for Ten-Towns after all. IWD? NWN? WHo cares?! The fact is that we both read CRPG.RU

Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:11 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Lionheart has not lived up to it's potential but- how can you complain about it being real-time when Reflexive have been crystal clear right from the beginning that it would be a real-time action RPG?

If you just assume a game will be a particular style because of the publisher you're going to get burned.

It has it's share of flaws, but what's wrong with the level system, BTW?
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:56 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Im enjoying lionheart.

It is difficult, not like diablo it takes a lot of strategy to kill monsters.

But I have only experienced the first part that everyone likes, barcelona and its surroundings.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:11 am
Skjold
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Sorry my bad...

SHAME ON YOU BLACK ISLE!!!!
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:12 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Last night I picked Lionheart up again, and decided to really put it to the test. I wanted to create a character that would be completely non-combatative. High speech and sneaking abilities were supposed to be an acceptable alternative. But then, I quickly realized that this is a load of hogwash. Just about every single path in the game requires you to KILL someone. Not 'deal with' them, but actually KILL them. How's your high sneaking and speech going to deal with that?

*ugh* I'm really disappointed. But then again, BIS isn't what it used to be (most of the masterminds behind earlier BIS titles are long gone).
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:16 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Skjold
Sorry my bad...

SHAME ON YOU BLACK ISLE!!!!

LMAO!

Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:00 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

I had a little too high expectation for this game. It ends up being the biggest disappointment since “Another War”.

I was playing ranged combat with necromancy; during ranged combat these damn skeletons were just standing by my side waiting for God knows what. In short: very poor AI, monsters were moving so fast it was a challenge just to click on them before they got to you and NPC’s I won’t even comment. The only good thing about this game was character development.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:18 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

All the character choices and skills are great. So impressive...

But I only have one character. Im not going to play the game 20 times to see each of the spell branches maxed out ....

I think this many choices are better suited for a party game, what do you think?

I made my guy... hes ranged combat, thought magic mostly protective and enough lock picking.... and thats it. LOL there are at least 20 other things it would be a waste for me to try and get good at.

Just a small impression to add.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:21 am
Dhruin

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
Last night I picked Lionheart up again, and decided to really put it to the test. I wanted to create a character that would be completely non-combatative. High speech and sneaking abilities were supposed to be an acceptable alternative. But then, I quickly realized that this is a load of hogwash. Just about every single path in the game requires you to KILL someone. Not 'deal with' them, but actually KILL them. How's your high sneaking and speech going to deal with that?

*ugh* I'm really disappointed. But then again, BIS isn't what it used to be (most of the masterminds behind earlier BIS titles are long gone).

Well, you're quite right, really, so this comment isn't meant to justify some bad decisions. When the devs talked of playing through with sneak, high speech or other non-combat characters they used Discord or Dominate to complete the necessary combats. So you do kill them - but your char doesn't actually do the killing.

FWIW, although it doesn't live up to it's potential, I'm quite enjoying it as a temporary distraction.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:58 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

I rather liked the skill system and perk system. It took it's system from Fallout which can't be all that bad. I enjoy the game....I'm just lost. I especially like racial traits. Neat stuff. I can see where people don't like the companion system. I agree it needed work. Most of the time my companions got themselves cacked real quick. Also the companions only fight and don't help you out in other ways. I'd rather have my companion stay back and heal me or cast protective spells on me. Also as far as I know perma companions don't level which also stinks. Other than the companion thing I'm pretty happy with it. I realize people might detest my opinion. But if you must pick at it try and be constructive and not flaming. Anyhoo thats my bit.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:59 am