Why I like Gothic...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Why I like Gothic...

I installed Gothic again yesterday, and now I remember why I like the game. Its so alive! I mean, it feels like evey NPC have a life of their own... I hope Gothic 2 will be as "alive".
Post Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:20 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Im in total awe here, I would have never played this game had I not seen all the hoorah in the forums about it. Today Im just pretty much running around exploring, now that Im armed well enough to defend myself.The game world is friggen huge, my #1 requirement of an awesome game, lots of room to roam. I was standing on top of some mountain today just looking around, far as the eye can see, thinking "awesome, this is why I play games."
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:58 am
Shellshock
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah, Morrowind is big too...but it sucks (Long live Gothic!!!). Everytime I go play a new game, I always come crawling back to good old Gothic (even though I haven't gotten past Chapter 1 yet because I can't get to level 5!). No other RPG i can think of comes close to gothic ( excluding Gothic 2). I mean, NWN? Joke. Morrowind? Decent game but lifeless characters and landscapes along with having read all that text and crappy quests gets kind of boring after the first week. But not good old gothic. How could anyone not like this game (except for it's kind of clunky controls)?
Post Sat Nov 02, 2002 3:32 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Some people can toss a game aside simply because of controls. Its pretty rare here with me, but even I have my limits likewith with Summoner and Spiderman. Add no configurability and its a short trip to the bargain bin. Gothic would almost be one of those games if there was no mouse use whatsoever, but if'n you try, you can get a mouse/keyboard thing going its just not documented at all.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:52 am
Phoenix_666
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Whats wrong with the controls? I found that Gothic controls were better than quite a few games I've played. - also I can catagorically say that I have never not played a game because of the controls - I always find the best way to play a game with the default controls. (although it does take alot of time and patience to do).
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again." (Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time)
Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:48 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
Gothic would almost be one of those games if there was no mouse use whatsoever, but if'n you try, you can get a mouse/keyboard thing going its just not documented at all.

Wrong. Mouse controls are explained in readme.htm. They even mention that righthanded people should use alternative controls.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:14 am
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Except for having to use the action button combo, I was able to configure and use the mouse/KB pretty much like I do for all FPSs without refering to the manual. Were there different version of the game where this feature wasn't enabled?
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:28 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Ive gotten the hang of it totally now, its pretty fun. I looked at the readme too ='.'=

Too bad theres no MP, id like to be able to duel my dude. An "online camp" would rule too
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:54 am
Tomcat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have not seen a single review on the net where people didn't complain about the controls. I mean COME ON, the controls are very intuitive, ppl. What the heck, using mouse + four buttons you can interact with almost every object in the game, including playing the mandolin, stirring up pots and whatever one can think of.

If you ask me, the controls are GREAT, and plz dont tell me it took anyone like more than 10 minutes to get accustomed to them.

Oh, and i even like the inventory mode in Gothic 1 more than the new one in Gothic 2. The new one is way too simple and items are too cluttered together in one single screen.

But doh, i guess all those reviews made an impact on the Piranha guys

BTW, i finished Gothic 1 5 times without cheats and forum hints, since i was too addicted to read anything, and I always used WASD mode + mouse (right handed)

My .02 cents.........
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:33 am
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

i suppose u dont need forum hints after u completed it first time

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:47 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Tomcat

BTW, i finished Gothic 1 5 times without cheats and forum hints, since i was too addicted to read anything, and I always used WASD mode + mouse (right handed)

My .02 cents.........

15 times.........

Gothic is good but 15 times!!!!!
thats insane
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:54 am