Hosted Site News
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Hosted Site News

In case you were wondering why we remained so silent despite 'Star Wars: Galaxies'' launch, the answer lies at <a href="http://swg.rpgdot.com/index.php" target="_blanK">SWG@RPGDot</a> where Finch has been posting like a madman. Also, make sure to visit our newly launched 'Galaxies' <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=47" target="_blank">forums</a> in case you're looking for a quiet place to discuss the game. The official forums seem to have a new thread count of 10 per minute. Hard to keep up with it. You also can't post there if you don't have a player account yet so I'd say that our forums are a real nice alternative, especially because Finch, Ekim, Iplaygames2, and a few others who are already playing are there to answer your questions. Have at it . <br> <br>If you're more into fantasy RPGs and specifically 'Neverwinter Nights', you might want to pay a visit to our <a href="http://nwn.rpgdot.com/index.php#0" target="_blanK">NWN@RPGDot</a> site where Lord_Darkmoon is keeping you up-to-date about modules, events, and all sorts of other 'NWN' related stuff. <br> <br>Same goes for <a href="http://kotor.rpgdot.com/" target="_blanK">KotOR@RPGDot</a>, our hosted site dedicated to BioWare's/Lucas' 'Star Wars' single player RPG 'Knights of the Old Republic'. Lord_Darkmoon and Mabon have done an excellent job at bringing the site back to life. <br> <br>More into 'Morrowind'? No problem. Rinulh must have posted just about every little 'Morrowind' bit that can be found on the net. Check <a href="http://morrowind.rpgdot.com/index.php" target="_blanK">Morrowind@RPGDot</a> for all the goodness. <br> <br>And last but most definitely not least, don't forget about <a href="http://www.mmorpgdot.com/" target="_blanK">MMORPGDot</a>, our all new site for MMORPG news. Hyrrix and Xanaki have shown an incredible high level of acitivity over there and seem to be fully intent on becoming the no. 1 MMORPG news site on the net. I really don't see what could stop them from getting there... .
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:15 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I thought RPGDot (the main site) was going to continue to have EVERY newsbit from the "RPGDot Universe", while the hosted sites would just pick out relevant items for inclusion in their news sections. Has this plan changed?

For example, the latest NWN module review (Songs of Ice and Fire) didn't show up on the main site while they always have in the past. I hope this isn't a change of direction.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:21 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

It is. And there is a good reason for it: If we cover it all on one site, things would get out of hand. You'd have 100+ newsbits a day. So we cover things of general interest here at RPGDot, and in-depth things on the game-related site. You'll find NWN interviews on RPGDot still (well, IF NWNDot is faster reporting it, we won't duplicate that newsbit). Mod reviews will be on NWNDot.

I admit we aren't too consistent right now, but this will change soon. The network expansion (and the increased number of editors) is a new situation for us, and we will have to get used to it.

Input is always welcome and wanted. .-)
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:01 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I thought the plan was to keep it possible for someone to get everything they wanted from the main site. As it stands, it's no longer a one-stop-shop. That's unfortunate, even if it is necessary.
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:53 am
Hyrrix
Fourty-two
Fourty-two

The hosted features are usually always mentioned on the main site too, I believe. But for the news that would of course be impossible. Take a day like last friday: if you would combine the newsbits of rpgdot, mmorpgdot and the other hosted sites you would have just waaay too many news there (we're talking about at least two times as much as currently displaced). I don't think there would be many people willing to go through that in search of the games that interest them.
Actually I believe the current system is rather logical: interested in cRPG's? Stay here. Interested in mmorpg's? Go to mmorpgdot. Interested in both? Mmorpgdot is only 1 click away from RPGDot, I don't think that would hurt.
Now that the hosted sites get split off, they have much more freedom to post newsbit that are totally unimportant to non-players. Take SWG for example. Would you really like to have 5 newsposts a day about a stupid quest they fixed or the servers that went down for 10 minutes? I believe that news belongs to a website that is focused on providing news for the actual players of the game. The general news for those who don't play, like the reviews of the game, or the important updates, will still be displayed on the main sites (mmorpgdot & rpgdot).
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:00 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Hyrrix
Take SWG for example. Would you really like to have 5 newsposts a day about a stupid quest they fixed or the servers that went down for 10 minutes?
No I would not, which is why I use the existing functionality of the site's filters to not display news that wouldn't interest me. That's how you carve hundreds of newsbits down to a manageable quantity, or so I thought.
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:36 am