View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Evil Timmy
There's working No-CD cracks up to v1.29 in German; however, the biggest and best cracking groups are English-only, so I don't doubt that the English release will be cracked much more quickly. SecuROM has generic unlockers released already, and so does every other major copy protection scheme. And tools like Blindread, CloneCD, and especially Alcohol 120% can read nearly every CD, even those with 'intentionally damaged' sectors, and emulate the CD perfectly. Saying you have a tough copy protection scheme just encourages crackers further, and every scheme except online CD keys verified against a database of issued keys has been cracked quickly and effectively. It's really a waste of money...those who download the warez version will get the crack tossed in, and those who legitimately purchased it will have a harder time with copy protection methods that may not work on all CD/DVD drives and may make their legal game unplayable.

Maybe you donīt understand the purpose of copy protection. The 5% potentiell customers who download an ISO are unimportant from an economic standpoint. Today everybody has a CD-R. This means hardly anybody will make more than 1 or 2 failed tries to copy a game for his neighbor. Heīll rather give him the CD and tell him to waste his own time. The copy protection is meant to make sure Jo Average cannot simply start Nero and make a backup for his closest friends.
Most people with an Aldi pc wouldnīt even know how to burn an ISO if they had it on their harddisk. They donīt know which tools to use, how to analyze the copy protection or on which website they can find a database for CCD.
Generic cracks only work with uncustomized SecuROM versions. Customizations disable generic cracks. Of course a good cracker will break every protection. But how often is he willing to spend how much time?

quote:

And who wants to download a new patch per week, or have to reinstall for whatever reason and catch up on months worth of patches? There goes their dialup/low-end broadband audience.
Söldner is an online shooter, so everybody has an internet connection. Nobody said the updates will be big. And if the standard weapons are enough for you then donīt download the weekly bonus packs. Maybe theyīll implement an auto-update feature into the program.
Such a bonus system increases the pressure on those without an original because the feature delta becomes bigger every week.

Copy protection is necessary. Look at the music business. How many people do you know who donīt even buy the CDs they want at a discount price? Why spend 5 EUR if you can copy the CD for 20 cents? Computer game publishers only invest in copy protection because they have hard numbers telling them they increase their ROI with copy protection.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:49 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

[/quote]
Copy protection is necessary. Look at the music business. How many people do you know who donīt even buy the CDs they want at a discount price? Why spend 5 EUR if you can copy the CD for 20 cents? Computer game publishers only invest in copy protection because they have hard numbers telling them they increase their ROI with copy protection.[/quote]

Well copy protection is something that i won't even try to understand.I know people who have bought game legally.Then they'll try install and it fails,Why, because of that goddamn copy protection.Fortunately most times there is a patch to correct ít.The point is if someone wants to copy a game, some protection isn't worth of shit.It'll just slow them.Only people who suffer from this nonsense are buying customers.HEck those who download© games probably aren't the ones who are going to buy your game anyway.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:21 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

By the way about copy protected music cds, those are even bigger problem than games.Hell lets think about it a moment.I'll go and buy an album from my favorite band.Then at home i'll put it on my stereos.Everything is cool, but after inserting it on my somputers cd-drive it won't work, it won't work either on my car's cd-player.I can't rip the cd to mp3 either and listen to it with my mp3-player.Why?Because the copy protection won't let me do so!I know how to bypass it, but where's the irony of all this?I have bought legally music-cd, but it won't work the way its should.Then again Joe from nextdoor downloads it from internet and has no trouble at all.Well I did what every sensible person would do: returned it back. where i bought it.

Now on i'll avoid buying music cd's, wich are copy protected.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:42 am
WeaponX
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I buy games that impress me. I don't have to, but I do. Unfortunately some of my associates don't share the same weakness.

I will wait, but not forever.

Some won't wait, not even for a second.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:18 pm
Evil Timmy
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath

Maybe you donīt understand the purpose of copy protection. The 5% potentiell customers who download an ISO are unimportant from an economic standpoint. Today everybody has a CD-R. This means hardly anybody will make more than 1 or 2 failed tries to copy a game for his neighbor. Heīll rather give him the CD and tell him to waste his own time. The copy protection is meant to make sure Jo Average cannot simply start Nero and make a backup for his closest friends.

However, often times, the guy giving/selling CD-Rs to his friends is the one who downloaded the ISO from whatever FTP/IRC channel. In Hong Kong, there's whole stores that sell duped CDs, and they just log on to their topsite every morning, grab the new ISOs, and burn them, then put them on the shelves. So, while a very small percentage may have these tools, they can cater to a much larger audience.
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:47 am
sfar200213
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The german iso's of Gothic have been out for ages and they work, so why bother creating new copy protection for the english one, if it is just going to get cracker somehow anyway?

C'Mon Jowood, if you have to create protection software, do it quicker, I Physically need gothic 2!
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:59 pm
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
The 5% potentiell customers who download an ISO are unimportant from an economic standpoint.

Last time I checked, the loss estimate from piracy was several billion dollars. I think that's pretty important.

quote:

Copy protection is necessary. Look at the music business. How many people do you know who donīt even buy the CDs they want at a discount price? Why spend 5 EUR if you can copy the CD for 20 cents? Computer game publishers only invest in copy protection because they have hard numbers telling them they increase their ROI with copy protection.

Software copy protection is the wrong solution to the problem. Copy protection hurts only the paying customers who take a performance hit and have to pay for the protection (usually licensed). There is no copy protection that has/can not be broken.

The music and game industry are in the same situation. They are both still doing business the old fashioned way. They need to update. There's always going to be piracy, but you can minimize it.

For example, they could sell games by the chapter for, say, $10 a chapter (perhaps with the first chapter free), so that gamers would be more willing to give the games a shot, especially lesser known games (such as Gothic 2 in the US), since if you don't like it, you're only out $10 instead of $50.

They could also have the chapters available for download for cheaper, maybe $5 (because there's no overhead for manual printing&materials, box printing&materials, shipping, retailer markup, duplication, etc). If PB did this, we would be playing Gothic 2 now.
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:51 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3