Usergroups
Finished Gothic: I think that...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Flak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

... that this game is "the" RpG I was looking for since a loooooooot of time, even if something is not "so-so-perfect"

Well, it required some time (more than I thought!) to finish it AND I used the Faq's just because they're so well written, and I was courious to do everything... before finishing it. So sometimes I used to drop an eye when I finished the single chapters.

The game is awesome but more than this... I can say Gothic is really addicting. There are just one or two real big "not-so-good" things, I am sure u know them.

The interface is really really boring and messy, in the beginning. Maybe I am too much mouse-oriented but... even picking up an object was a real pain in the a** . Fortunately, after one hour or less I found myself saying "well I cannot imagine a better interface!". Sot it's really good. But I think the first hour of gameplay, 80% of the players abandoned the game (I know many friends who love RpG's and left Gothic for that reason).

Another (maybe) bad thing is that Gothic is so damned hard in the beginning. You can just kill a Meatbug, more or less... Because 90% of the enemies will simply open you as a coconut

Last thing, the graphics: my first impact was not so good, of course because I came from great looking games/demos like Return to castle Wolfenstain, Serious Sam and so on (speaking of 3D games). Gothic is quite "old" in many details, graphics are not so "real, clear, shining", I don't know how can I say. But in one thing Gothic is the best: the world. Big, with hills and mountains, a LOT of places to visit, things to do, missions, npc's and so on. Simply amazing, so amazing that you forget your Video card and concentrate on finding something, killing something else.

This game is what I hoped it was Ultima IX: Ascenion (I bought the Dragon edition.. sadly): a BIG game, HUGE game wit a LOT of monsters and npc's with their own life, night and day, rain, bla bla bla (u already know).

Weapons are perfect, and there are a lot of them. Armors... well, not so easy in the beginning but SO GOOD when you have your first real armor . I read that people did not like the combat system but I personally liked it, even if in few situations (like caves with skeletons) it was a real pain because visuals could go messy and confuse me.

What I can say is that I cannot understand why a lot of sites reviewd Gothic with values like 85%, 80/100 and so on. I think this game needs something like 90% and more.

If the graphics were a little "better" and the controls a little more intuitive (with a better use of the mouse), I can say I could guve Gothic a 98-99%.

I played the english edition and the translation was amazing, well spoken and really immersive.

It was a lot of time I did not find myself playing a game until 06.00 a.m. before going out to my job. That's good :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: Flak on 2002-02-17 21:09 ]
Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 3:08 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I agree nearly with everything with one exception.
Graphics impressed me from very beginning (and I am FPS player).
Other it was f. e. in Wiz8 - it took me sometime to get used to its graphics.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 7:39 am
Darnalak
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

The key to enjoying the graphics is to jack up your resolution, if you play in standard 640x480x16, you're right, the graphics blow. but you crank it up to 1024x768x32 and let the good times roll (heh only problem I had with the graphics were the lack of fingers on people).

Darnalak,
The Necromancer
Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:57 pm

I just finished the game and I will say one thing: The sleeper temple is the BEST RPG moment I have had since Ultima Underworld and I really hope more games have that sense of exploring a dark and misterous place full of surprises , great and amazing places and well adjusted puzzles, the clues where everywhere, you only had to look around and that was what the funny thing, just discover and wonder yourself. Definitely great.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 4:44 pm

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Gothic is a great game! It took me 5 minutes to learn the controls. They sold me on the demo alone. I've never really liked 3d environment games much. I never finished Ultima IX because I got too damn irritated with it. I'm the type of person who has to explore every nook and cranny in a game, and Ultima IX was just too big. I got to Hythloth and just quit. Gothic on the other hand was small enough that I could explore the whole world and not get bored of it. Plus the story really sucked me into the game. Also not knowing the character's name helped immerse me more in the game. I think that was a brilliant move. You don't need a name to identify the character because the character is you. Some people just aren't giving Gothic the time and effort it deserves.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 8:22 pm
Divine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Well, I quit when I entered the Sleeper's temple. Just because I hate exploring the dungeons. The rest of the game is A+, grtaphics and controls included. The only thing I missed was the forward move on Mouse2.
I rekon there must be a way to finish the game w/o going into the underground tunnels.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 8:55 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

quote:

On 2002-02-18 14:55, Divine wrote:
I rekon there must be a way to finish the game w/o going into the underground tunnels.

No.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 10:21 pm
Flak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Well, I quit when I entered the Sleeper's temple. Just because I hate exploring the dungeons.
Man, it's like eating good food for hours and leave the table when the coffee is coming It's the last battle, u should finish it
Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 10:36 pm
Divine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Man, it's like eating good food for hours and leave the table when the coffee is coming It's the last battle, u should finish it

No. Because I am getting dizzy in the dungeons and I simply do not want that experience. I always found RPGs too restrictive in this respect.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2002 7:34 pm