Can't seem to improve my sneak skill
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Ebeneezer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Can't seem to improve my sneak skill

I have sneak skill of 15 and nothing I do will make it go up, I can't successfully pick pockets, it seems. I have stolen a few items while in sneak mode, but this doesn't make it go up at all. What do I do?
Post Mon May 27, 2002 6:22 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Can't seem to improve my sneak skill

quote:
Originally posted by Ebeneezer
I have sneak skill of 15 and nothing I do will make it go up, I can't successfully pick pockets, it seems. I have stolen a few items while in sneak mode, but this doesn't make it go up at all. What do I do?

Is it a misc. skill? If so, it takes a LONG time to rise. I'd suggest just leaving the game overnight in sneak mode, while in vicinity of an NPC. I did that and my sneak skill went from 15 to 45.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 6:27 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

The only way to improve your sneak skill is to actually go in sneak mode and sneak around monsters/people. You are succesfully sneaking ONLY when the sneak icon (a looping rope over a bag) appears on the lower left corner of your screen. Stay in sneak mode even if it disappears, or move around to a quiet place and try again by leaving the "shadows".

Granted, it'll be more difficult (from my experience) to raise Sneak from 15 to 50 than it is from 50-100 because after 50 you are able to succesfully sneak more often even from up close.

But if your sneak skill is in your "misc" skill list, you're doomed to work on it for a looong time. My suggestion would be to find a trainer and spend some money on raising your skill artificially up to about 25 or 30, and then start working on it actively on your own.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 7:39 pm

FYI - the pick pockets 'roll' depends on SECURITY, not sneak.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 8:09 pm

Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
FYI - the pick pockets 'roll' depends on SECURITY, not sneak.

Well, according to the game manual (page 20), Sneak is the governing skill for pickpocketing, not security. Is the book stating that mistakenly?

Others have also noted that LUCK could have a strong influence on pickpocketing as well.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 11:13 pm
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Well, according to the game manual (page 20), Sneak is the governing skill for pickpocketing, not security. Is the book stating that mistakenly?

read page 41 - second paragraph
Post Mon May 27, 2002 11:43 pm
bedwine
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Sneak

At day 1 I got as much cash as I could in the first town, went to Belmora and bought sneak training to 15 from 5. (Sneak works better as a Misc). I then found a sweet spot behind an NPC where the sneak icon starts to blink. Depending on your character it may be the roving mage in the mages guild or the stairway in one of the pawnbrokers. In the right location your sneak icon will blink after you engage. Tape your key with masking tape. Go to bed. The next morning your sneak skill will be at 100 and you'll be able to steal right before their eyes.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 4:26 am