Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Do you know of any crpg that has focused on...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Do you know of any crpg that has focused on...

party-based abilities? I'd love to see a game that was party-based that gives the party a reason for being together besides slaying the evil horde.
You could choose to create a party that was a circus troupe, a group of musicians, a trade caravan, etc, and then make quests that were based on the parties' profession. What made me think of this was replaying Realms of Arkania. In that game your characters can earn money by performing in
taverns. It would have been awesome if my party could earn more money
by having several characters with the same skills. Consider a circus troupe:
My fighter is the Strong Man, my thief is the high-wire and trapeze artist,
the mage performs feats of prestidigitation and illusion(David Copperfield),
The cleric/diplomat character can be the master of ceremonies, and rangers and druids could be lion-tamers or elephant handlers, etc. If playing as a music troupe, each character could focus on an instrument or dancing and the thief could be the guy passing the hat and maybe pocketing some extra on the side. I could see that having such a party would allow them to enter nobles villas or castles that a non-professional party couldn't enter.
In the case of the musician party you could have side quests that focused on finding magic instruments, helping other musicians, etc, things that would make real sense rather than "please go slay the evil vampire and save my son you complete stranger" types of quests. What do you guys think? Feel free to expand on this idea or make fun of it
Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:09 pm
Pinch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Might be what your looking for...

Well, I know that the upcoming Troika D&D RPG based off of the classic Temple of Elemental Evil module will use a more concentric approach to party building.

From what they have said so far, you pick an alignment for you entire party, with each character being within one step of this alignment. Thus the good party will have a completely diffrent reason for being there from the the evil party. They have said there will be different starting locales and subplots for different alignments.
Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:35 pm
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

At least it's a start, but I really want a logical and game reason for the party to exist. In D&D, for example, it could be all of the party are Harpers.
Harpers are a group of people who strive to maintain balance in the Forgotten Realms. If there were such groups in crpgs also, it'd make a lot more sense.
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:14 pm