Troika: First screens of a post-apoc development @ NMA
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Troika: First screens of a post-apoc development @ NMA

In a fascinating turn of events, <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/" target="_blank">NMA</a> has posted two fantastic <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8560" target="_blank">screens</a> from a post-apoc game Troika is/was working on that has been put on hold "due to recent developments". <br> <br>Early work in hope of getting the Fallout license or some other circumstances - what do you think?
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:13 pm

AYE CARUMBA! The shots aren't anything particularly special, but Troika working on a post-apoc game is! I wonder why it's been put on hold... very strange. And not good.
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:14 pm

The lighting is wonderfull...

This needs more exposure in order to some publisher to pick it up

B.
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:50 am

IMHO, that's supposed to be Fallout3 or something equivalent. Look at the spear that guy's carrying. Looks like the one from F1/2 to me.
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:24 am

Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

It's a halberd in those shots. But yeah it definitely looks like what I want the next Fallout game to look like.

Like they're speculating on other forums I have a feeling that these shots were part of their pitch to get the Fallout license from Interplay. But Chuck the F*ck decided it'd be better giving it to Bethesda (more money I'd imagine). Of course that's just a guess.

Whatever it is/was I sure wish they'd make that game. It'd have been great for them to do the next Fallout obviously but I'd settle for a non-fallout post apoc rpg from them any day. It might even be better because then it would stand on it's own and not have to worry about pissing anybody off for going in a direction the fanbase didn't like.
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:53 am

I find it unlikely that this is related to Fallout 3. Troika don't need to show Interplay what they can do with the Fallout license; they CREATED the first two games.
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:26 am

Dhruin

I'm not sure whether this is a FO3 tech demo or not. There was certainly no obvious reason to build a demo to show Interplay -- the FO license was won (or lost from Troika's perspective) on price. However, that doesn't mean they didn't need a demo for finance / publishers / backers. Remember, Troika repeatedly said in earlier interviews they would like to have the FO license but couldn't afford it. At some point, that changed.
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:30 am
Nyarlathotep
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I still wonder where that rumour about Troika losing the FO license came from. Just baing sceptic, that's all...

And there has been concept art for this game floating around from back in 2003, and if I'm not mistaken, the FO licence wasn't up for sale back then. This is just Troika's own making, unrelated to FO, I think.
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:56 am
Dhruin

Correct, Chris Glenn did some concept art that clearly included the desert guy with the red hood and Iplay didn't have the "For Sale" sign out at that point.

As for Troika and the Fallout license, they certainly made an offer to Iplay...but as history shows Bethsoft came away with the goods.
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:14 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Indeed the game can be unrelated to Fallout; i believe it's last year NMA(?) shows couple concept arts with apocalytic feel and unofficial news about Troika sending new game proposal to Atari. The screeshots likely to been froom tech demo used to show to publishers.

Bethesda got the license because of Interplay decision or more satisfied with Bethesda's offer. Negotiation seem to been done separately since Bethesda (from interview) didn't know who else or detail on other negotiations to get the license.
Silver Style more openly shown interest in fallout license than Troika.
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:01 pm
Odin

Troika have several times tried to obtain the Fallout license from IPLY, but have gotten no or just a huge ass price tag (to fit Herve's ass?). They did start this project as a new PA CRPG, but AFAIK they did intend to use this engine on Fo3 if they had obtained the license..

And the "rumour" of Troika losing the sale for Fallout is very much real, I've gotten several sources to confirm it. Bethesda ended up upping the ante quite alot if I don't recall wrong..

Odin
Webmaster@NMA
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:03 pm

Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Overall, this is a big dissapointment. I would rather have Troika make FO3 (even with the horrible TToE engine) than Bethesda considering that Bethesda MIGHT not stay true to the FO formula.
Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:24 pm
Kolorabi

It's good to hear that Bethesda were willing to pay so much for the license. That means they'll treat it right, as it's worth quite a lot to them.
Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:40 am

Pinky's Brain
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

No it just means they expect it to make a lot of money ... lots of crap games making a lot money lately (and Im not even talking about Morrowind here, but games most people agree are crap). They valued the over half a decade worth of hyping the series received from its devoted fans highly.

I think we can all agree that the chances of Bethesda staying true to the gameplay mechanics of the previous games are slim to none for obvious reasons, the chance of them doing the conversations and quests justice are equally slim IMO. No game but Arcanum has come close to doing that in recent times ... certainly not Morrowind.
Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:18 pm