I Went For A Wander...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Finn The Fairly Dark Mage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I Went For A Wander...

I have been playing Morrowind for a couple of hours a day, every day since it came out. Last night I decided just to go wandering around the north of the island. It still amazes me that after all this time I *still* find new places to visit, new tombs to plunder, new choices to make (the Bittercup - that was a tough one!), and new monsters to slaughter. Notwithstanding its faults, I can't remember a game that has held my attention this well and this long before. Morrowind is unique, and brilliant.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 9:08 am
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

I have felt this sensation with games in the past. Did you by chance try Gothic? That is the game that left me
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:05 am
BearishSun
City Guard
City Guard

Yeah, gothic is realy best game of all times. Never seen anything with so smart charachters, they are not like in morrowind just walking from there to here, also all dialogues are vocal. Gothic is as much fun as morrowind but its not so large as morrowind. Gothic 2 will be
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:47 am
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

When you've explored 95% of them game (like I have) you'll see that it's not that unique or brilliant. The designers of the game (Bethesda crew) claims it is all hand-made, but after seeing 200+ dungeons you start to notice certain "blocks" of graphics that reappear over and over and over and over.. Especially the tombs are soooo similar they make you want to puke after a while. And after you've searched through your billionth crate and found your billionth empty paper/redware cup/wooden spoon you're only gonna be amazed at how little inspiration these designers must have had if they indeed made all this crap by hand.

I don't want to spoil your fun or burst your happy-bubble, but there are like 5-7 original dungeons with a little MEANING to them in the entire game! Imagine that. A land that's so big it takes you 3 minutes to walk from one end to the other (with 350 speed) and it only contains a handful good dungeons.. When oh when will Gothic 2 ever come out so I don't have to play this.. flawed piece of software..? (I'm only a student, I can't afford to buy any game I want.)
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 1:57 pm
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Huh Gothic, never saw it. Oh, no I remember, that was that lame linear FF style game with the so called good npcs, while they were only graphically good. Just like in MW they didnt really do anything (not one item was ever made by the smith, he would hammer his item all year to no avail).

It was as much interactive as a movie, and doesnt even come close to MW. A shame some people cant look past graphical depth.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:39 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto
A shame some people cant look past graphical depth.

A shame that some people can't judge their own flawed game first.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:02 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

now now - i can see that poster in this thread are starting going for each other throat. Whatever, i wanna say that both Morrowind & Gothic are great games. It all come down to player TASTE. Morrowind is for player who likes freedom to role-play, decide own adventures/exploration, hunting down unique items, collecting armors/weapons, reading/collecting rare books, raiding tomb/ruins, freelancing jobs/quest, etc etc; while Gothic is for player who likes tighter story/plot development, realistic NPCs daily life, interactive NPcs, etc etc. Overall, both are role-playing games with some different elements and both with some positive/negative sides. And still the undeniable fact is that both are great RPGs.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 9:24 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

right said goofy goldfish !
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 9:43 pm
ItBurn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic, ugh...
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:18 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Well said, goofy goldfish. Morrowind and Gothic are both excellent rpgs. They are very different from each other, but I think that's a good thing. Anyway, what's so bad about "linear" rpgs? Sure, Gothic became linear after Ch 1, but I never felt restricted by this type of gameplay. Linear and Non-Linear are two different styles for rpgs....it just seems that if an rpg is linear it gets a bad wrap by gamers. How come?

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 4:17 am
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

I didn't make my post to start a lot of crap. I enjoyed both games. I have enjoyed many games. I have no favorite-of-all-time. I only have a favorite of the moment. Morrowind was the latest to touch that spot.

I guess I need to be more considerate about some of your sensitivity towards titles. It is almost like going into a Dallas Cowboys forum and then bragging about the Washington Redskins (They are rival sports teams here in the U.S. if you didn't know)

As for Morrowind and the topic, I agree. The world is huge. After completing a large segment of Morrowind: the main quest complete, master of two guilds, high rank in other guilds, leader of Great House, I probably had only explored 25% of the world map according to the "fog of war" on the in-game map. I still load it up and search around those other areas (looking for that waterfall mainly ), and I do always find new quest and stuff.

Thing is, it is almost too huge. I could never sit here and walk my character over every inch of that map. I wouldn't want to. Not unless I was getting paid to write a very intricately detailed map and description for the game.

What I want to know is what is FF-style? Final Fantasy? If so, I didn't think Gothic was anything like Final Fantasy. Then again, I do not consider it to be a linear game. Sure it had a start and it had an ending, and you had to do some common things to get from one to the other. But you had a fair amount of choices in the middle. Admittedly nowhere near as vast as the choices in Morrowind, but not linear by any means.

I just like the freedom to roam around a well designed and graphically appealing map. I like a large variety of environments, monsters, items, and NPC's. I hope to see many, many more titles pushing the envelope higher and higher, forcing us to all buy new hardware and lose hours of sleep.
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 7:59 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Hehe, with FF I mean linear games, ff does indeed stand for Final fantasy, but I use it for every linear rpg. The difference between Gothic and MW is that in MW they build a plot around the land while in Gothic they build a land around the plot. Just depends on your preferences which you like best, but I can help but find it odd that some persons cant seem to do anything but go around the MW forums saying in virtually every post that Gothic is better then MW. You dont like MW? No prob. But dont come to the MW forums then. I dont hang around in the Gothic forums now do I?

Anyway, whatever you like, have fun.
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:25 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

I come to these forums because I'm bound by paperless contract!

Very sorry if I was a bit harsh on you... frankly, I enjoyed Gothic enough to play it through about 3 or 4 and a half times. With Morrowind, I have quit after finishing the House Telvanni quests.
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:47 pm
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto
You dont like MW? No prob. But dont come to the MW forums then. I dont hang around in the Gothic forums now do I?

I don't think anyone here said that. As a matter of fact, I don't hang around the Gothic forums anymore myself. It is old news now. Just some simple statements were made.

*touchy touchy*
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:38 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by TribalMan
(looking for that waterfall mainly )

BWahaha, you will never find it..
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:34 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next