Ultimate character
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
drewborn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ultimate character

I am getting a new cpu and have nothing to do but count the days until I can finally play morrowind. Does anyone have any good race/class suggestions with emphasis on any good skills that are helpful in the game?
Post Sat Nov 09, 2002 6:17 pm
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

make a custom class with whatever skills you like. you can create a much better character that way. if you want a mage, try a breton or a high elf. if you want a warrior, Redguards are really good. if you want a thief, Khajits are awesome. oh and BTW destruction and conjuration magic is pretty useless in this game. though summoning creatures is fun and bound weapons are pretty good. alteration is probably the most useful school, with levitation and lockpicking spells. restoration is also very helpful. mysticism is essential for the mark and recall spells. long blade is probably your best bet for weapons, but there are many kinds of every type of weapon. oh, and I think medium armor and unarmored sucks. so thieves do better with light armor, and warriors do better with heavy armor. and even when I played a mage, I used heavy armor!
Post Sat Nov 09, 2002 6:47 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ah, character creation, my favourite topic...

Disclaimer - I don't "do" magic in this game, so can only give my opinion of a good warrior. My opinion is very biased and should not be considered fair in ANY way!

Definitely go for a custom class. You get much more control over things, and it's half the fun anyway.

Naturally, being a warrior I choose Combat as my primary focus.

Good primary attributes for a warrior are STR, END or AGI. Consider LUC for a bit of a boost, or WIL for lots of fatigue points. Consider SPE if you really get ticked off with slow movement at lower levels.

Skills:

Only choose one melee weapon - while having two or more usable weapons may seem like a good idea at first, you rapidly realise you'll never use more than one type of weapon. I tried it, trust me. Long Blade is by far the most available weapon type in the game, but things like Axes look great. Using Spears will give you bonuses to END. Personal preference.

Only choose one armour type - again I tried it and it was a waste. Heavy armour is great, but my pure warrior has got to the point where he values encumberance over a few extra points of armour, and mostly wears Light. Be warned that there are a lot more types of Heavy armour though - if you choose Light you'll buy a full set of Chitin in the first shop of the game, and then not upgrade for 15-odd levels - boring!

I've found Armourer to be very useful, but others have slated it, saying it's easier to just pay for the service. Well, maybe, but using the skill not only fixes your armour/weapons up in the field, but gives you points towards STR on level up. Nice.

Marksman is very nice indeed. Fed up with cliff racers? Drop them before they get close. Snipe at monsters over the other side of valleys - you can get a large number of shots off before they get to you. If you haven't killed them yet, they'll be very weak by the time you meet. Cons? Keep having to buy arrows, and tend to run out at the worst possible times!

Security is nice. Forget having to run around looking for keys, just pick the damn thing open. Lockpicks and Probes are quite frequently found too, so you don't have to buy that many either.

Don't have Athletics or Acrobatics as a Major/Minor skill. They increase very nicely as Misc skills if you tend to hurry around like I do. A waste of skill slots.

Hand-to-Hand and Unarmoured are pretty pointless. You completely miss out on magical items and the various artifacts scattered around the world. Helm of Clavicus Vile? Wow! Wonder where I can sell it...?

Sneak is good, but a bit overrated in my opinion. I tend to walk straight in and pick a fight with the biggest, meanest bad guy anyway. Sneaking around is for wimps and thieves. I am neither!

Block is useful, especially if you use Light Armour. Pointless if you use two-handed weapons, of course. Enchant isn't my style, look elsewhere for opinions on that. Alchemy is fun, but you're bound to get carried away with it. Leave it as Misc to limit the damage done. Mercantile is a Minor skill on my character and has only been increased by reading books. Haggling over a few gold coins isn't my style either. Speechcraft, however, is very useful - definitely go Minor at least with this for just about any character class.

After you've chosen your skills, write them down against their controlling attributes. You don't want too much of a bias towards any one attribute: a common mistake is choosing Sneak, LA, SB and Block all as Major/Minor skills - you get lots of bonuses to AGI, but not a lot to anything else. Make sure you are likely to get a bonus to any attributes you care about - END for instance (HA, MA or Spear). If you are playing on the X-Box or intend to play with the original release unpatched, be aware that trained Misc skills don't add to level up bonuses - try to make sure you have each useful attribute (except LUC) covered by one Major/Minor skill.

Naturally, post the character configuration you eventually decide on so we can all see your choices!
Post Sun Nov 10, 2002 3:01 pm