How to trap a soul?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

How to trap a soul?

I know this has been asked, and answered, before but I can't find that thread anymore. Sorry...

I have readied my soultrap spell, have two soulgems in my inventory (petty and lesser ones) but I don't know how to put it in practice...
Ofcourse I've tried to cast it before I attacked an enemy but then two things can happen:

1: I see a text that my spell has failed. Ok, that part is clear enough
2: I DON'T see any text at all....so...uuhm, does that mean I have cast it properly or did I just miss it or something?

After option nr. 2 I've went ahead and killed the enemy within like 5 or 10 seconds. That's fast enough to trap the soul.
But then I check my soulgems and nothing has happened. No soul has been trapped.
What am I doing wrong here?
Do you have to see a "you've succeeded" message or something like that?

Another possibilty is that after a full day of playing I need to take a break from the game and catch some sleep
Post Thu May 09, 2002 8:04 pm
Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

Easy as pie...

Cast "Soul Trap" if the spell takes you'll see a white-cloud ring around the waist of the baddie....then proceed to slap the crap outta the baddie, when it dies IF you have the correct soul gem in your backpack it will get filled.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 8:08 pm
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Allrighty. Will pay attention next time to a white cloud ring around the target.
Mucho gracias senor

Btw, do you get a message that the soul has been trapped after you've killed it?
Also, if you don't have the proper soulgem, do you also get a message that you've failed?
Post Thu May 09, 2002 8:19 pm
Mereel77
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

How do you know what the right soul gem for the job is? Also, what are filled soul gems good for, do you just sell them for money?
Post Thu May 09, 2002 9:41 pm
Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

IF you have the correct soul gem and you capture one YES you get a message.

I guess the only way to know what size gem you need is to always have different size gems with you, it will auto select the correct one if you have it.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 9:55 pm
CarcusRex

Also, as was pointed out to me in my earlier question, you can only soul trap a creature, not an NPC.

The soul trapped gem is used for making enchanted items. You can pay an enchanter to do this or, if your enchantment skill is decent you can do it yourself by equipping your soul gem.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 11:58 pm