Hello.....and noob questions.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Lostsheep
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hello.....and noob questions.

Just bought and installed Gothic 2,so I thought I'd join this board as I'm sure I'm likely to need help!
Two questions to start with please.
1.I have version 1.32,do I need any later patches for this version?
2.As I'm useless at console games I'd be grateful for any tips with combat system you feel might help a newbie.
Thanks.
Post Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:28 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to the forum!

1. There are no newer patches. The game is stable and playable, albeit not bug-free.
2. First of all you should activate quicksave in the gothic.ini. Make a regular save every 30 minutes or so, in a different slot. Then use quicksave around fights and dialogs. Remember to go at least 5 meters away from every lifeform and do absolutely nothing during quicksave or you might end up with a corrupted save
G2 has 2 different combat systems. The advanced one is a slightly improved version of Gothic´s. You can read a detailed description in JemyM´s Gothic FAQ. The new system lets you attack with one mouseclick. It´s not elegant but a bit easier than the classic setup.
Avoid combat whenever you can at the beginning - because your chances are realistic. If you run into a warg you´re warg food, and if you fight more than one bandit you need heavy artillery. As one of the devs put it: "Running away is an option."
Most situations in the first few hours can be solved with dialogs or made easier with the help of friendly NPCs or loot you´ve already found. Examine the starting location carefully. There are 5 hidden placed between Xardas´ Tower and the first bandit. Don´t hesitate to use the stuff you find.
Combat depends on your armour, weapon, strength and weapon skills - plus your own timing. Correct timing can compensate your stats to a certain degree.
Most people here use the classic setup in ASDW + mouse configuration. It will be frustrating at first, but later you´ll feel how much stronger and better your char becomes. Then you´ll love the amount of control you have compared to other RPGs.
Chapter 1 is nonlinear. Explore everything, talk to every named NPC and keep your options open. A sure sign you´re not meant to be somewhere is when you meet something which kills you in less than 10 seconds. Then go somewhere else.
Post Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:00 pm
Lostsheep
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the welcome and excellent tips,Gorath.I'll dip my toes in a bit now and explore first area.No doubt I'll be back here shortly!
Post Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:38 pm