Usergroups
New to the game and can't work out controls
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I've scoured the manual and find that certain pieces of rather essential information are missing.

For example, at the mouth of the mine there is a ladder. How does one climb this? I tried using control plus a number of keys, but nothing happens. THe manual talks about jumping, but there is no direction as to how to do this

ALso, the manual does not tell you how to equip a weapon! I think I will need to know this at some poiint in the game.....I found a pickaxe, but going into the inventory and selecting it with the cursor doesn't seem to do anything at all.

It looks like a good game but I'm not going to get anywhere without some help, it seems.
Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 8:27 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

This is explained in the readme.
(ctrl or LMB) + up does most of the trivial stuff.
Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 8:39 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-02-10 14:27, Hagatha wrote:
I've scoured the manual and find that certain pieces of rather essential information are missing.

For example, at the mouth of the mine there is a ladder. How does one climb this? I tried using control plus a number of keys, but nothing happens. THe manual talks about jumping, but there is no direction as to how to do this

Just press use + forward (same as many other actions) when ladder is active (little bit illuminating) and HOLD it, you will climb...

quote:

ALso, the manual does not tell you how to equip a weapon! I think I will need to know this at some poiint in the game.....I found a pickaxe, but going into the inventory and selecting it with the cursor doesn't seem to do anything at all.

When weapon is active in your inventory, press use + forward - you will see number in left_lower corner of that square. This number indicates hot key for equiping predefined as follows:
1...melee weapon
2...bow or crossbow
3...last used spell
4...scroll/rune
5...scroll/rune
6...scroll/rune
7...scroll/rune
8...scroll/rune
9...scroll/rune
0...scroll/rune

quote:

It looks like a good game but I'm not going to get anywhere without some help, it seems.

Yes little bit more detailed describtion of controls would be useful...

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-02-10 14:41 ]
Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 8:40 pm

I read the Readme and am really not much further ahead. For example, the keyboard and alternate keyboard - how does one access this information? And for heaven's sake why is the "default" keyboard option for left handed people?

How do I rest? Can't play in real time - will die of boredom.

How do I eat?

Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 9:39 pm

Also, re: the hotkeys - I already saw the hotkey numbers, but no weapon is equipped when I use the appropriate (or any) hotkey.
Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 9:41 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You can select the keyboard layout in the options menu. Find out if you prefer keyboard only or keyboard plus mouse, itīs a matter of taste.

See my post above. If you can use something/someone in the widest sense of word try (ctrl OR LMB) + forward. Of course you have to focus at or select it/him first.

To rest you have to find a bed.
From chapter 2 youīll find more than enough food. Donīt waste your time with reloads. Consume the food. The only rare reinforcement are speed potions.

The controls are similar to most shooters. The only major difference is that LMB is not primary fire. Instead of one option (fire) you press the LMB and have four options (the directional keys).
If you interpret it this way you will learn them in a few minutes.
Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 9:51 pm

But - I DID find a bed, and I can't use it. Nothing happens when I stand in front of it and hit the Ctrl-up keys (or any other combination I've tried). The screen does say "bed" while I'm trying to use it.

Similarly, using Ctrl-up doesn't seem to select inventory items.

This seems awfully clumsy.

Is it easier to use the keyboard plus the mouse? Is there an actual list somehwere of game play controls that I can reference?

This is pretty frustrating. I can't get anywhere. And now I have that horrible pest following me around.

So far: Graphics 8 out of ten
Game play 1 out of ten.

Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 10:05 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Strange. All this stuff is done with ctrl + up.

You should reset the controls and check if you have primary (=cursors) or secondary (ASDW) activated. Donīt customize them. If ctrl + forward doesnīt work try LMB + forward.
To equip a weapon scoll through the inventory and highlight it. Then press LMB + forward. The weapon is equipped if your char fulfils the requirements. In this case you see a small number (see Danicekīs post).

Danicek posted a longer list yesterday. Use the search function.

And download the FAQ from GothicDot.

I prefer to look and aim with the mouse.
Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 10:18 pm

I've finally got some of the controls to work - they seem to have a time lag - I have to wait before they work.

How do I pick up the meat from the juvenile molerat? Or anything else that is from a body?
Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 10:54 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

There is just one way how to perform nearly 80% of actions avalaible in Gothic. Gorath wrote it here maybe twice.
But again:
forward + use (action button - LMB) - only difference is that some actions require just push this buttons (fire from bow, opening "inventory" of dead animal). Some require "holding" - climbing ladders, casting some spells etc.

If you open inventory of dead animal, you can move its meat to your inventory with lmb+left.

Trading, moving things from inventory to inventory:
lmb + turn left/right - 1 item
lmb + strafe left/right - 10 items
lmb + shift + left/right - 100 items

(I hope I am correct, I didnt use it for several weeks )

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-02-10 17:26 ]
Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 11:25 pm

Thank you but I think I'm still confused. What does strafing left or right have to do with trading? Is it a key? If so which key? That's another thing I can't do.

I know everyone is trying to help but really many of the controls actually do not work with Ctrl plus up - that's always the first thing I try.

Once the trading screen is open, all I can do is select an object. I can't make it move into the centre trading spot.

Why, oh why did the publisher think that a control manual wasn't necessary?
Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 11:30 pm

sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Move stuff to the center of the trade screen with Action Button + Left and then take the vendor's stuff with Action Button + Right, when the values are equal or in the vendor's favour, you can press Enter and choose Accept.
Post Sun Feb 10, 2002 11:34 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-02-10 17:30, Anonymous wrote:
Thank you but I think I'm still confused. What does strafing left or right have to do with trading? Is it a key? If so which key? That's another thing I can't do.

You move items from left to right or from right to left - so strafing or turning is adequate.
Just look to Setting/Keybord and you will find there what key is strafe and what turning.
If it really doesnt work, it means that there must be something corrupted. I have never heard about problems like that.
For few persons here were controls difficult, but your posts look like there nothing works right way.

quote:

I know everyone is trying to help but really many of the controls actually do not work with Ctrl plus up - that's always the first thing I try.

If this really doesnt work and you are sure you do it right way, there must be bug or something.
I used mouse + keybord, so I used forward and left mouse button (LMB).
For example when you come near to ladder, you should hold forward + LMB, it can be sometimes difficult to make ladder active. Only active things are used when you press this combination. Also laying creatures must be active if you want to take their meat. You must be in proper distance and angle to make them active (it is not difficult, but...).
If this really doesnt work, then... (buy new keybord )

quote:

Why, oh why did the publisher think that a control manual wasn't necessary?

That was mistake...

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-02-10 18:34 ]
Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 12:33 am

It's true- I can be standing in front of a bed and hit the ctrl-up combination and all the PC does is walk up to the bed and look at it. I usually have to try about seven or eight times before I get the desired result. Same thing with selecting an inventory item - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 12:44 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-02-10 18:44, Anonymous wrote:
It's true- I can be standing in front of a bed and hit the ctrl-up combination and all the PC does is walk up to the bed and look at it. I usually have to try about seven or eight times before I get the desired result. Same thing with selecting an inventory item - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

It sounds strange. Try to use LMB (I do not know if you like it, but just try it, so you will know if it is problem of your keybord or of your CTRL key).
Also test your CTRL key. It is not key we normaly use, so...
Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 6:55 am