Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Question about Charactor Development....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Tempest
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi!

I am a new Gothic player, and I noticed that Charactor Development is pretty open ended...my question is this -- is it necessary to devote yourself to one particular "path" (warrior, mage, rogue) or is it possible to diversify and eventually reach all of the abilities, etc, that it is possible to reach.

Secondly...if I am focusing on becoming a warrior, will investing in some magery hurt me in the future, or will it create an unseen limitation on my warrior path?

Just some questions. The Manual really does not address this, and I thought I saw somewhere in this forum a mention about how going too far as a warrior will prevent you from ever specializing as a mage or obtaining any of the higher mage spells.

I would appreciate any assistance you can provide to me. Thanks.

Regards,

Tempest

[ This Message was edited by: Tempest on 2002-01-04 21:07 ]
Post Sat Jan 05, 2002 3:07 am
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Well, you may be looking to someone that has finished the game..but I'm on my first time through..

I am level 20 now, and, like you, just wanted to be a badass warrior throughout.. However, I'm now having to use skill points in my mana/wizardry skills..

I will only advise you to keep magic in mind as you level up..without posting spoilers, that's really all you need to know. Definitely make yourself a mean fighter, but don't neglect spells..if you find one, hang on to it for a while..never know when you'll need it!

Post Sat Jan 05, 2002 4:29 am
r0otZ
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

it all depends on how you spend your skill points, and what level you eventually reach. if you could reach level 100 then you could max out all your stats and skills but unfortunately i only got around level 42 at the end. dont waste any skill points on lock picking or sneaking thats all bs, go for strength, double handed skill, and magic circles. you can get rings and potions to boost your mana way up so dont waste points on mana. beat up scar next to gomez for the best single handed weapon in the game, or beat up a templar for a good double handed weapon once your trained in it. the only really effective magic circles are after lvl 4, there you can make skeletons and golems and whatnot, im goin to sleep, hope i helped, goodnight.
Post Sat Jan 05, 2002 8:09 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Characters are mainly between 30 - 45 (at the end of this game). It depends on how many voluntary creatures/quests you finish.
Every level = 10 skill points.
It means you will have 300 - 450 points.
So you will not be able to max. all your skills.
But you can not really wholly specialize (and you will have enough exp. points, so you will not need it). Because there are quest, where you will need some skills and other, where you will need other skills.
So you will need to use hammer (you need some strenght for it), you will need to use scrolls (and have enough max. mana points for it). Also it is good (but not necessary) to kill some enemies from distance or from places they can not reach (so maybe you will need some bow skills).
I can not agree, that lockpicking is not useful. It is very useful. You can rob most locked chests in game and there are treasures in them.
So you can not be just fighter, but you need specialization (you need to be very strong in one fight skill (f. e. dexterity + bow or strenght + 1h sword or mana + magic circles))
Post Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:58 am

Bah. I played a max strength one and two handed fighter right through my first time. You don't NEED lockpicking, bows, or mana. The mana potions you nab are enough to cover any scrolls you need to use to complete a few quests. I think I used the teleport runes, change to mealbug a few times, a fireball, and a load of ice spells (y'all know why ) off scrolls. With 40 mana, I never had a problem, and I didn't pay for a single point.

As for lockpicking... fun and fine. You get enough lockpicks off merchants eventually to not care about busting them. Lockpicking really helps at the beginning to save your poor lockpicks lives... but you can easily ignore it.

Conan the Barbarian is fully viable (in fact, highly successful) in this game.

Post Sat Jan 05, 2002 2:02 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

You have 40 manapoints just from potions?
Uf, I missed some of them.
But you are right. You really need magic just few times and if you are good fighter, you do need bow.
First level lockpicking is not expensive and helps a lot (just my opinion)...I did not say it is necessary, I just opposed to opinion (in post before me), where is "lockpicking is for nothing".
Post Sat Jan 05, 2002 3:03 pm

1st level lockpicking is good and cheep as said above.

I don't remember what level was I at the end, but I had my strength >=max, dex. >= max. and much more then 100 skill points. my mana levels where boosted by portions too and I could use magic too. I was master of 1h and 2h and of bow.

So I think Gothic is pretty safe in Character Developement. I even personally think that it's abit of overkill.

Note: I tried hard to find and complete as many as possible quest and did quite a lot of hunting.

For perfectionists: Magical Portions that increse the skills can be used after the skill reached max, so store them till later
Post Sat Jan 05, 2002 3:56 pm

Gaderath
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

really, you can put points anywhere without destroying your char. lockpicking is sorta dumb though when a save load feature is included, and pickpocketing is pointless once you can mug ppl and take what you want. sneaking is pointless really, just go in when no one is looking and you'll be fine.

if you wanna be a fighter max you strength, learn 1h and 2h weapon fighting then spend the rest the points on whatever you want... probably mana and circles, but its up to you, once you are a great fighter you tend to use those skills most of the time anyway and the magic you do use is fro quests/ teleporting so it is not critical
Post Sat Jan 05, 2002 4:05 pm
Tempest
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for all the help!

All of these suggestions are really good, and I appreciate it.

Regards,

Tempest
Post Sat Jan 05, 2002 11:03 pm
DeepFreeze
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Personally, I'm a bowman and that seems to be working well enough.
Post Sun Jan 06, 2002 6:18 am
PaulDenton
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I played an archer and I kicked ass! Here is how I go:

1-Handed Level 1
Lockpicking Level 1
Bow Level 1
Hunting Skills, +1 STR, +5 DEX
+10 DEX
Bow Level 2
Max out DEX
Post Sun Jan 06, 2002 6:58 am
WHITE x CHOCO
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

every character needs a bit of mana to do some of the spells(one item makes you use telekenisis to get which needs 10 mana) so having a mana ring/amulet is a good idea just in certain cases

Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 4:37 am
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Personally, I specialized in magic while spending a little on archery and one-handed swords and this worked out fine for me.
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:09 am
Darnalak
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

When I played through the second time (As a mage) I was surprised at how high my str and dex got just by incidental potions I found throughout the game. I could've wielded scar's sword in the 5th chapter just by potion collection (However I swore I wouldn't give up the orc hammer that time around ).

I don't even think it's possible to truly bork your character, but you could make some small mistakes (like taking ALL the thief skills) BTW: Sneaking = TOTAL waste...
Lockpicking is good if you don't like the Learn it/load it option ( heh I'm so anal I have all the chest Combo's written down now).

Darnalak,
The Necromancer
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:25 pm
Olgerth Heidern
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hunting skills aren't exactly a must, master lockpicking instead and make way more cash.

I know how you can get 15 free mana points (1 mana potion from the Firemages; 1 mana potion from Cor Kalom; and smoke Dreamcall once). Can anyone hint at more Mana Potion locations?

We fight because we must.
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:30 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next