Village Leader
Village Leader

which spells to take?

I have a bishop so I must save on spell picks
which spells are vital for the game??

I also have some questions:

- chameleon - can you really sneak up to monsters or can some
foes recognize you anyway

- instant death - does it work? I remember from Migh&Magic and AD&D that it seldom (if ever) worked

- summon elemental - useful? does it draw attention away from party?

- toxic cloud - low damage, but does it really render higher level monsters
unconscious too? how much stronger than noxious fumes?

- what about all those armor buff spells like armorplate, body of stone etc.
do you need them? my party has decent armor anyway and my bishop often has a guardian angel for her

- does more than one character in my party need element- and soul shield
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:33 am

The Buffer spells cover the whole party, even nearby friendly patrols, if available. (inc. Element/Soul Shield)
I never really got much out of Toxic Cloud except to put some damage on stuff that was really far away.
Save all your spell picks, learn your first 4 levels of spells from books you find and buy. If you save all your picks, you can learn all the spells for which there are no books available much sooner (L22).
For each lower-level spell pick you waste, that's one more level to wait if you want all the spells.
This means your repertoire will be limited until you get to Arnika, but then you will kick beaucoup bootai from then on, if you practise your magic up. There is a Book of Terror you can get from the chest where you first pop into the game, i restart until it's there, usually takes around 5 retries. That gives you 5 spells to learn from books in the Monastery, cast those whenever you can to build skill.
If you train up everybody's Stealth, Chameleon is an unbelievable thing. I use it to sneak past Nessie all the time.
Instant death is lovely, esp as your caster gets higher level, but the multitarget instakillers get much more use, they come one level higher.
Summon Elemental, combined with Armomelt, will help your party defeat stuff they'd never even hit otherwise. You can use Canned Elementals, too, way before you get the spell.
There's nothing really essential, but the magical protection spells are probably the most important, and if you cast Haste, your other party members don't need to build the Speed attribute much past 50 to get high Initiative. But i use a Bard for that, fire magic doesn't work underwater....
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:00 am

Wolfie

Spell learning

With the exception of Hex spell, at least one spellbook of every level 1 to 5 spell can be bought or found in the gameworld (refer to http://wiz8.web1000.com/mage_77.html for the complete list).

Level 6 and 7 spells can only be learnt from spell picks during level ups. You can download a spreadsheet which helps you calculate when a spellcaster will be able to learn what spells at http://wiz8.web1000.com and follow the link to the Wiz8SpellAbility spreadsheet.

Also, there is soon to be released a companion to the Wiz8SpellAbility which will assist with tracking spells learnt or to be learnt across all members in a party, watch the web site for more details as they become available.

- Wolfie
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:26 pm

TheRaven
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hi Wolfie
your website doesn't work?
some web 1000.com advert appears instead
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:55 pm
Wolfie

Links not work for some countries

TheRaven, yeah sadly this is a known issue, have a read through this link for the full story - http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4652

Basically, use ... http://www.metaspinner.net/cgi-bin/nph-spinnerproxy.cgi/110110A/http/wiz8.web1000.com/ instead.

Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:12 pm

TheRaven
Village Leader
Village Leader

many thanks! *said in my dracon's voice lol *
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:23 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

It's all been said in this forum many times before, but I'll repeat it here anyway:
1) No spell is critical. There is never a situation where you MUST have a given spell.
2) Defensive magic is stronger than offensive magic.

As to answering some of your more specific questions:
1) Yes summon elemental is very useful. It gives another friendly character attacking, and the elemental does draw attacks away from the party.
2) With regards to soul shield and element shield, I found it extremely helpful to have multiple people capable of casting these. You will find yourselves in situations underwater and on ascension peak where you will find yourselves casting these practically constantly. As resting in these areas can be EXTREMELY hazardous to your parties health, it helps to have multiple casters so they can catch a breather to recover spell points, at least somewhat. If you're party's not built to achieve this (both my first and second parties handled this), then your alternative is to stock up on magic nectar, etc.
3) Keep armorplate, missile shield, magic screen and enchanted blade on at all times. This also helps buff up your spellcasters' abilities. The other 5 durational non-combat spells that do this (without directly protecting your party) are light, detect secrets, x-ray, chameleon and shadow hound.
4) Instant death works, but not consistently. If you remember the old Wiz series, it's success rate seems comparable to the "BADI" spell. Wiz8 doesn't use AD&D rules, so I have no way of telling you exactly what your chances of success are.
5) Casting combat only armor buffing spells works, but it's not critical. More useful for buffing up overall casting ability, IMHO.
6) No comments regarding toxic cloud, noxious fumes, etc. I rarely used these spells.
Hope all of this helps you.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:59 am