Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
GOTHIC consumer reviews
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

Found a page with consumer game reviews.
http://www.pcgamereview.com/reviews/adventure/product_1620.asp

There aren't much GOTHIC reviews there, but the few people that rated, liked it.
Maybe some people care to rate GOTHIC at this page or similar ones...

I've searched for reviews at many online mags. there are loads of pages, that seem to completely ignore this game. Could it be that the publisher does no marketing at all.

When I find a page, that ignores this cool game, I write a mail or post in the forum, cast a vote, etc. Kind of guerilla-marketing I guess.
Maybe others could do the same if they like the game.
It definitely would help the dev-team to sell more than a handful of copies.
Seems that GOTHIC isn't anywhere in the charts, so I suppose they sold very few until now.

Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 5:00 pm

Brak
City Guard
City Guard

Yes, poor marketing is to blame, as well as poor distribution. GameSpy, one of the more prominent multi-genre sites whose reviews are read by many etc. had this to say:

"Hi Brak,

The game was not available in our area or directly from the publisher at the time of our GOTY awards. We plan to write a review for it now that it is available.

Sincerely,

Joost "Silverdawn" Loijens
RPG/Strategy Genre Producer
GameSpy Industries"

The game of the year awards was at the end of the year, and I know the game was available in the states in late November, so the fact that it wasn't available for gamespy and many other English speaking nations until recently and some still not at all is mostly to blame. Also a good marketing department will send free games to all major print and online publications, apparantly Xicat is not familiar with this concept, or chose to do this with a very small number of magazines and review sites.

Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 5:28 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

yep, this is a total shame this game didnt get the marketing it deserved. There isnt one person I know who has seen this game and been like "oh wow!". Even my 24/7 shoot em up friends found themselves over my shoulder asking about this and that every 10-15 min I was playing.
Well, apparently this game did well in Germany before its release over here. Lets hope they made enough for a sequel.
I keep writing to P-B, they havent written back in a while
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 5:48 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Trust me, I have oiled up SilverDawn (Joost) alot

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 3:08 am