Thief: Deadly Shadows - 3rd Person View Added
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Thief: Deadly Shadows - 3rd Person View Added

A <a href="http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040122/sfth076_1.html" target="_blank">press release</a> from Eidos on Yahoo confirms the rumours about Thief: Deadly Shadows having a 3rd-person view but it seems both 3rd- and 1st-person perespectives will be available:<blockquote><em> <br>In Thief: Deadly Shadows, gamers will be able to play in either third person or first person perspectives, and shift seamlessly between each on the fly. The new third person perspective will further immerse players into the role of Garret -- the master Thief. Sneaking through darkly lit environments, stealing riches and ambushing unwary targets in third person presents a new, visceral gaming experience to the Thief franchise. Still, the tension fuelled gameplay in classic Thief first person view is there for returning fans of the series and newcomers alike. Ion Storm's trademark dynamic lighting and shadow technology manifests in Thief: Deadly Shadows new levels of depth and tension to the game's environments. Characters and objects cast real shadows that effect stealth gameplay, requiring the player to manipulate darkness and light to create your own shadows to hide in. <br> <br>"Thief's groundbreaking gameplay laid the foundation for the popular action stealth genre," said Matt Gorman, Brand Manager at Eidos. "Thief: Deadly Shadows revisits these roots and broadens its gameplay with the addition of the cinematic third person perspective and Ion Storm's dynamic lighting and shadow technology."</em></blockquote>See? All the speculation that started with that job advertisement wasn't in vain.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:37 am
Barghest
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Makes me sick...
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:19 am
ionstormsucks

bah

they will screw this game... i always knew ionstorm sucks.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:33 pm

methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I don't know what the problem is.Some people,me included, prefer to see my character move around and interact with the world instead of seeing 2 hands sometimes holding a key or a sword,etc.Anyway,the choice is yours and the more choices the better.I think some people equate loving 1st. person and hating 3rd. person with being cool cause "I played all the old rpgs like Bards Tale and the Ultima's and they were all 1st. person,dude".Even though their 13 and were still crapping their pants when all that "old,cool stuff" was happenning.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:07 pm

I really hope 3rd person isn't the substitute for leaning.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:44 pm

ionstormsucks

to the fanboy

this has nothing to do with old style or something - just with ionstorm screwing up one of the best game series that was ever made. they are trying to adress a broad audience and thats always a bad thing cause usually it doesnt work out the way you want it (see deusx2). i mean you can see it in almost everything they do: first they say "hey lets do it for pc and gaming consoles" which is imo the first mistake... there are very few games which have mastered the gap between pc and console gaming but ok - its not completly impossible. then they call it "deadly shadows" - a title which is so dumb, uninspired and stereotype that only children and retarted can like it. the first game was named "dark project" because pagan called his attempt to win his former might again "the dark project", the second part "the metal age" had its titel from the area it was set in... lets pray that the third part will not feature something completly brainless as "deadly shadows".

imo looking glass was a premium game producer - they made games cause they liked playing games. they invested heartblood and that is why almost all their games were top ones. ionstorm on the other hand is a totally profit oriented company imo which will make lots of money and nothing else. i would not be surprised if they would implement something like a bullit time just because it is such a nice feature that lot of players like.
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:42 am

Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I have a bad feeling about this title. I hope I'm wrong because I loved the first two games.
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:07 am
Daros

Third sequel information published!!

I just saw in Spector's .plan file!

"We have decided to produce a new System Shock title, as well. Production will begin once we are finished with Thief III.

"We really wanted to take this series in a new direction, so we are going to be crafting a Kart racer, complete with the skill system you know and love!"

Just wait.. it's coming...
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:04 am

methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Either we learn to live with it and go with the flow or fight a losing battle.The fact of the matter is that consoles are cheaper than computers and thus more affordable for younger players,so developers are making more and more console games for the young players who are buying these "cheaper" consoles.In a few years we'll be lucky if anyone makes a game just for the computer.I would rather have Thief 3 as a computer and console game than have Thief 3 only made for the console.They just might get it right and it'll turn out as good as KOTOR was for both machines.
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:53 am