Thoughts of a new damage type. [not poison and such...]
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Hi-Necro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thoughts of a new damage type. [not poison and such...]

Ok, we all know there are basically FOUR damage types in Gothic that could be used by us, Normal weapon, Arrow, Fire and Magic, and sometimes the "FALLING" damage is also included. When some higher level weapons or magic are introduced, PB just increases the damage setting of them; but, maybe that is not a very good choice, because those settings are linear.

Perhaps PB could introuduce a new kind of damage only belongs to the three god, or even the god farther 'ra', which has some preternatural effect: If the opponent does NOT have the protection against this kind of damage, no matter how many HPs it has, and no matter how little the weapon/magic damage we do to the opponent of this kind is, the opponent will be vanish into nothing instantly; othervise, 1 point of this damage will reduce 1 point of HP, just like the other damage type now we have.

I think this idea is useful, because PB could make the damage setting nonlinear by making the high-level opponents only have very low protection against this damage type and the other do not have this protection, so a holy dagger with only 5~10 points of this damage also has vital power to a lot of opponents... [and also a rubbish to those high level opponents.]

This could make the further games more interesting, I think, because we could have more choices, more ways to enjoy our adventure...

Here are some instances about the protection against this new damage type:

the Undead Dragon ~ 40
Demon Lord ~30
Dragon ~ 25
Demon ~ 20

Robe of the Dark Arts ~ 25
High Robe of Fire/Water ~ 20
Robe of Fire/Water ~ 10
Paladin's Armor ~ 15
Heavy Dragon Hunter's Armor ~ 10
Old paladin's Armor ~ 5
Cor Angar's Armor ~ 5 [because of the mighty power of the Sleeper...]

Well, how do you think about it?
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:34 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

It might be interesting to have damage types based on the gods, but I think instant kills on high level creatures is a bad idea.
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:54 pm
megadav
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Instant kill is good, but not because of a weapon, just because you're strong enough!
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:15 pm
Hi-Necro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally post by Chekote

It might be interesting to have damage types based on the gods, but I think instant kills on high level creatures is a bad idea.

No, only LOW level oppotents will be vanished into nothing instantly, not the high level ones...

Er... if opponents got level higher than 20, they will have protection against this damage, this will be OK.

The difficult level will NOT be damaged by this setting, we just got more ways to enjoy the story, think a few seconds and you will agree...
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:28 pm
megadav
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

OK, I'm starting to think
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:37 pm
Hi-Necro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Oh, I mean the difficult level will not be damaged in G3 by this setting.
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:41 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

The thing with the "one hit-knock out" seems a little strange to me, but something like holy-unholy damage is ok. Sort of like the paladinrunes, they are only working against certain evil creatures, but not against normal people. They could work that out and improve that.
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:54 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

It's not a new type of damage but what I like to see is some very powerful spells that not only cost mana but also take hp. So you need to sacrifice some of your health to do a very powerfull spell, you can't do it when you are already heavily damaged.
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:56 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Would be interesting if the gods powers could have opposing forces, so that not only do monsters have certain weaknesses against specific gods, but you could end up in a stalemate with a certain creature, if you both had spells etc that cancelled each other out. You wouldnt be able to fight each other with magic at all.

Also having certain gods magic complement each other, so that for example, if you were with a companion who had complementary spells, you could work together to become more than the sum or your parts...

Would take some seriously improved AI to accomplish that last one though
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:56 pm
Hi-Necro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally post by Sem

It's not a new type of damage but what I like to see is some very powerful spells that not only cost mana but also take hp. So you need to sacrifice some of your health to do a very powerfull spell, you can't do it when you are already heavily damaged.

Yes, a powerful spell that will COST yuor HP, good idea.

What about a even more powerful spell that will REDUCE your HP, so our hero will reduce 20 ~ 40HPs each time he spell such spell and cannot regernate those HPs?
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:26 pm
Rydjord
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

[/quote]What about a even more powerful spell that will REDUCE your HP, so our hero will reduce 20 ~ 40HPs each time he spell such spell and cannot regernate those HPs?[/quote]

Then i wouldent use those spells
Well Gothic 2 isent a realy difficoult game in compariation with Gothic 1, i just dosent think that there is situations where these spells is nessesary. the price would have been to high.

Last edited by Rydjord on Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:38 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Yes I agree. Permanent stat loss would require a very high benefit for anyone to use that spell.

No one would use a spell like that which just damages an enemy.
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:45 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

With issues like this,

This is where "poison" comes into it's own field, only applied to pc-hero (not npc's) for obvious reasons, poison cannot be ignored, it will slowly drain the health points till - - - death. only a certain trained skill could effect an antidote, ?
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:19 pm
Hi-Necro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally post by Rydjord & Chekote

Then i wouldent use those spells
Well Gothic 2 isent a realy difficoult game in compariation with Gothic 1, i just dosent think that there is situations where these spells is nessesary. the price would have been to high.

=================================================
Yes I agree. Permanent stat loss would require a very high benefit for anyone to use that spell.

No one would use a spell like that which just damages an enemy.

Ha, it is not very suitable if our hero got his HPs nearly as much as a Blacktroll when you finished the game (about 800HPs), no matter G2 or G2AddOn, and at the same time the other strongest NPCs got only somewhat more than half of our hero's HPs... If we got HPs higher than the boss's in G3, oh, it is , IMHO.
Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:28 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I wasn't talking about permanent stat loss!!
Just that you get hurt by your own spell because it's so powerfull. The thing behind it could be that you need to give so much power to use the spells, that it weakens you or something like that.

If it was permanent I would also just use other spells (or the spell would have a very cool animation of course )
Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:34 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next