Why go to level 19?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
tuckyboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Why go to level 19?

My Gadgeteer and Bard are ready to level up to level 19. However, I'm thinking that it might be more productive to switch them to other professions since I'm not aware of any instruments or gadgets that require skills above level 18. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:50 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

There is at most 1 bard instrument (and it may be none) that requires > level 18 skill to play. So you could switch without losing your ability to play most (if not all) instruments. BUT, level affects the effectiveness of spells, instruments, etc. So a level 19 bard will play an instrument better than a level 18 bard, with the disparity continuing to grow over time. I assume the same is true for gadgeteers using gadgets. (I'm running my first gadgeteer, who is now around level 13, and this certainly seems to be true so far.)
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:25 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Yep, Gadgeteers also get better to use gadgets in higher levels, besides the Gadgeteers keeps tweeking your omnigun every 3rd level on the higher levels. Ex. at level 23 he improves the omniguns "kill" attachment for higher rate of "instant kills". nice. Spellcasters ability to safe use higher power level in the most powerfull spells are also determined by character level beyond level 18 for pure casters!
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:22 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

To sum up a ton of discussion from numerous threads, changing class in Wiz8 rarely works out. There are a few instances where it can be useful to pick up a specific skill for a specific character, but overall it's usually more trouble than it's worth. There are a couple people here that strongly support class-swapping in Wiz8, and they've gotten pretty good at it, but they're definitely in the minority.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:35 pm
tuckyboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you

Bilbo, Michael C, and Dteowner,

Thanks for the advice. I've moved them to level 19 and don't plan to class change.
Post Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:09 am
otter
One of Us

Yah, i've found that once you've got as far as L18, switching doesn't improve a character. The class changes that i've liked the most have been at 8 Bard levels, for a designated haster. (who then becomes designated Muramasa or Giant's Sword wielder)
Post Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:20 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by otter
Yah, i've found that once you've got as far as L18, switching doesn't improve a character. The class changes that i've liked the most have been at 8 Bard levels, for a designated haster. (who then becomes designated Muramasa or Giant's Sword wielder)
A Mook bard? Now that's one I haven't considered yet...
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:26 am
otter
One of Us

The hard part is you gotta use a lotta Attribute points to get the speed up to Haster values, and they can't wield GS until they switch class. It also takes a bit of practise to get their L&T up to useful--if you don't have DT and K-K casters that's a lot of practise.
Post Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:50 pm