Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
but TERRIBLE game stability
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

I feel bad posting such a negative message, because I love the game storyline/world/etc, but I may NEVER f!cking finish the game, because it develops errors all the time that prevent everything from working properly. I agree with another posting that these errors get worse as the game progresses. I've had trouble with random errors involving: inventory menu popup, disappearance of life indicator, inability to view save/load menu, inability to identify/converse with other characters as normal,sudden corruption of saved game files. (These errors don't all happen at once, but)this almost ruins what could be a great gaming experience. ---Disappointed
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 1:41 am

Jaegermeister2k
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well i don't have any problems,besides one or two minor ones,but that's it.I did notice that the game crashed alot,so i opened my computercase,and i noticed that the fan on my processor wasn't working,and the processor overheated,and it prevented me from saving.After i fixed it everything went fine.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 2:48 am

quote:

On 2002-01-13 19:41, Anonymous wrote:
I feel bad posting such a negative message, because I love the game storyline/world/etc, but I may NEVER f!cking finish the game, because it develops errors all the time that prevent everything from working properly. I agree with another posting that these errors get worse as the game progresses. I've had trouble with random errors involving: inventory menu popup, disappearance of life indicator, inability to view save/load menu, inability to identify/converse with other characters as normal,sudden corruption of saved game files. (These errors don't all happen at once, but)this almost ruins what could be a great gaming experience. ---Disappointed

I agree. I mean if you have a computer that is way above recommended "specs", it is strange that the game is so instable. I have an AMD Athlon 1ghz, with a Geforce3 card (with the latest NVIDIA drivers), 384 mb RAM, Soundblaster Live 5.1 (with the latest drivers), and still I have problems with Framerate drops, "choppy" sound and crashes almost every halv hour of playing. Iīm also playing RTCW, with all settings at the highest possible and with a screen resolution of 1280x1024, and the game runs so smooth. This is not possible with Gothic, allthough the graphics are not nearly as heavy as in RTCW. The only problem with RTCW is that it is quite boring if you compare with Gothic.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 3:55 am

The only problem I had was the one with the MSS32.DLL driver. Once I fixed that, the only other issues were things like attacking in meatbug form:) or talking to any of the dancing orcs causing you to go to full screen mode without any indicators or unable to ESC to reload a game. I saved constantly and suffered no ill affects since then. Considering th enormity of the game itself, it's amazing few bugs exist. I can't of game in the past 5 years that had fewer bugs. Not even BG2 or IWD could claim that and I loved those games too.

Face it. As games continue to evolve into more realism, more bugs will be found no matter how much QA you do. It simply not possible for 30 people to test every path in a game (like turning into a meatbug to enter back into the OC).
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 6:43 am

mersil
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

wow man , sounds like you are really screwed up

copy , and paste your save game folder . uninstall and re install...geez

cant be having all them problems.

Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 6:47 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I do not have any problem...
Stability is perfect...
)
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 7:24 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

I am only running a Pentium 550, 500 meg ram, GEForce3TI and have had NO problems except for the VERY occassional crash to desktop. This happened only 3 times in two playings so far. I find it as stable or more so than most games these days.

Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 1:26 pm

I had Gothic crash twice in the two weeks I played it. Maybe 3 times. UNless I did something stupid... when I did something stupid I typically crashed every two hours or so.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 1:55 pm

Rainstorm
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I have no major problems with stability...sure it has crashed some times,but this is after running for hours.
T-Bird 266 1,2Ghz,256 Meg PC133,Radeon DDR 64 Meg,AOpen soundcard with Yamaha chip.
I read about rally trophy that some people had problems with the original sound driver that made it crash until they swapped for a DX driver...(maybe something similar with Gothic...?)
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 3:09 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Got the same hardware.
Never had any problems.

Guess it must be becouse I am so great.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 3:15 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-01-14 09:15, JemyM wrote:
Got the same hardware.
Never had any problems.

Guess it must be becouse I am so great.

Best Regards
JemyM

Hmm...

So I must be also great
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 3:37 pm

Lots of problems here, too. Win 98 SE on Duron 600, Abit KT7 RAID, 512MB RAM, Voodoo 5, SoundBlaster Live value. Also lots of problems on another system running Win2K - a Dell with a 1GHz PIII, 256MB RAM and I think a TNT2 with 32MB RAM.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 5:02 pm

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

I see two well equipped machines, but with a load of bullet-holes...

Voodoo 5 and a TNT 2 card!!!

You know... Thoose cards can handle about 250 million instructions per second. Sounds much, but todays cards (GeForce 2/3) can handle up to 5-9000 million!!!

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:50 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

A Voodoo5 is a very compatible card, it doesnīt cause problems with Gothic except the well known FMV problem. Itīs clearly faster than a GeForce2MX.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 11:39 pm
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

quote:

On 2002-01-14 16:50, JemyM wrote:
I see two well equipped machines, but with a load of bullet-holes...

Voodoo 5 and a TNT 2 card!!!

You know... Thoose cards can handle about 250 million instructions per second. Sounds much, but todays cards (GeForce 2/3) can handle up to 5-9000 million!!!

Best Regards
JemyM

9000 million? Whats that? 9 Trillion?

Post Tue Jan 15, 2002 4:45 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next